Adding a new field (bankPartyId) to the EftAccount entity

Adding a new field (bankPartyId) to the EftAccount entity

Jacopo Cappellato
What about adding a new field (bankPartyId) to the EftAccount entity?
It can be used to store the party id of the bank (office) that hosts the
account.

Should we also add an ownerPartyId field?

Re: Adding a new field (bankPartyId) to the EftAccount entity

David E Jones

The routingNumber does uniquely identify the bank (although it occurs
to me we should have something to specify the routing number type,
like ABA, SWIFT, etc).

It might work fine to have a one-nofk link to the Party entity and use
the routingNumber as an identifier. There is a chance for conflicting
IDs though... so maybe have another way to look up the Party by a
field other than the partyId that represents the routing number would
be best.

However we do this, we probably shouldn't have a foreign key for this
relationship unless it's either an optional field or we require a
complete listing of all the banks in the world. ;)

-David

David E Jones wrote:

> However we do this, we probably shouldn't have a foreign key for this
> relationship unless it's either an optional field or we require a
> complete listing of all the banks in the world. ;)

I was actually thinking to an optional foreign key field, but using the
routingNumber field (as a lookup field for the Party entity) is an
interesting idea; I know that seems odd (and probably it is) but most of
the Italian companies feel the need to import all the (Italian) banks in
their ERP systems: all the softwares I've seen so far actually have some
sort of utility to load the banks from a text file.
But I like the idea of the routing number... let me think a bit more
about this.