Australian - Internationalization

James Troup-4
Hi all,

has anyone internationalized OfBiz for Australia?
ie.  Set it up for GST, Australian Tax Tables ect?

In the event that no one has, any general pointers, would be greatly
appreciated.

James

Re: Australian - Internationalization

Iain Fogg
James,

You'll find that there is a little bit of work involved in getting OFBiz
setup for Australia. I haven't bothered messing too much with the Chart
Of Accounts (and by implication tax tables) because I'm not planning on
using OFBiz (yet) for my accounting needs. IWO, I'll post OFBiz
transactional data to my accounting app on a regular basis.

GST is pretty easy to set up - the easiest thing is to google for "ofbiz
gst vat". Summary is, set up a GST tax category, assign your GST-rated
products to that category, set up a Tax authority for the ATO and make
sure the rate-product references the GST category. Oh yeah, you'll also
need to ensure your products have the appropriate field filled in for
VAT Geo Id ("AUS") and VAT Party Id (presumably "ATO", or whatever the
id of your ATO tax party is).

Next, you need to store all your product price data ex-tax. This is a
pain in the posterior, but I haven't been able to find an alternative
that does not require mangling the OFBiz code.

Finally, you'll need to modify the *.properties files for a bunch of
applications. Basically if you search for "Sales Tax" and replace with
"GST", you should be pretty close. You'll need to tweak receipts and
other printed docs (eg invoices) too.

Hope this helps. It is not a trivial exercise to configure OFBiz for
Australia, but once you start to get your head around the way it hangs
together it's a great application.

Cheers, Iain

From: "Iain Fogg" <[hidden email]>
> Next, you need to store all your product price data ex-tax. This is a
> pain in the posterior, but I haven't been able to find an alternative
> that does not require mangling the OFBiz code.

Pain in the posterior express rightly the feeling :o)
I hope we will be able to change this in 2007....

Jacques