Auto-generating of BOMs from Virtual Product to Variants

Re: Auto-generating of BOMs from Virtual Product to Variants

Yes right Chris, a comment is maybe better (though not in log or else... Mmm...)

Jacques

Re: Auto-generating of BOMs from Virtual Product to Variants

Andrew Sykes
Are you sure this is a set of variants rather than a set of
configurations?

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Auto-generating of BOMs from Virtual Product to Variants

jonwimp
Andrew,

I was trying to use Configurable Product at first. But that mechanism doesn't even come close to
what I need; at a minimum, there's no BOM for configurations, which is why production runs are
created immediately upon the creation of an SO for a Configurable Product.

I have since fallen back on Variants. Every aspect of Variants serves my purpose here. So far,
I've only ever tried "Selectable" features, not the rest ("Optional", "Required", etc). So far, it
serves what I need.

Any reason I should be using Configurable Products? Note that my Bicycle-abcd, having 4 variables
a-d in the model number, requires all of those variables. Even a bicycle with no bell is denoted
say by Bicycle-abcN.

Jonathon

Andrew Sykes wrote:

> Are you sure this is a set of variants rather than a set of
> configurations?
>
> - Andrew
>
> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 13:18 +0800, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>> Is there a way to have rule-based auto-generation of BOMs? Maybe this has already been done?
>>
>> In general, I have a virtual product that can have thousands of variants. I'd like an automated
>> way to generate all the possible variants.
>>
>> One aspect I'm gonna be looking at is rule-based auto-generation of variants' productId. This
>> shouldn't be difficult, and can easily be linked to the QuickAddVariants page (the checkboxes in
>> column "All"). If someone is already doing this, let me know so we can collaborate?
>>
>> The bigger problem I have is the auto-generation of BOMs, the lack thereof rather.
>>
>> Say I have virtual product Bicycle, and variants Bicycle-abcd, where abcd are variables. I'd like
>> variable 'a' to be the top-most in hierarchy and 'd' the last. For example, my bicycles could come
>> with different frame sizes 1 through 5, which will require different BOM components Frame1 to
>> Frame5. I'd want all variants Bicycle-1bcd to have a BOM component of Frame1, Bicycle-2bcd Frame2,
>> and so on.
>>
>> Even a semi-automated process will be alright for now.
>>
>> I'd suggest an enhancement to the EditProductBom screen. Add a function to list all variants,
>> search can be constrained by selection of (standard) features. This function can be copied from
>> "Lookup Variant Product" somehow. Allow "Copy BOM" to apply to a number of variants at once.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Jonathon

Re: Auto-generating of BOMs from Virtual Product to Variants

Andrew Sykes
Jonathon,

Sounds like you've pretty well considered the details.

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the options.

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>