Billing Acct as a poor man's Gift Certificate

Billing Acct as a poor man's Gift Certificate

Iain Fogg
Hi all,

I'm looking for ways to implement a gift certificate in an off-line
situation. The current GC implementation needs a little bit of work to
make over-the-counter GC sales work, but I have a pressing need to come
up with a workable solution NOW!!!

I don't know too much about Billing Accts, but it looks like I can just
about use them to implement the GC...

1) Create a Billing Account (I guess in the name of the person buying
the GC).
    - I don't mind  accepting the payment for the GC and initialising
the BillingAcct balance as two separate transactions
    - How do I set things up so that I can "sell" the GC product and
keep track of the payment?
    - From an accouting point of view wouldn't I need to Credit some
liability account to the value of the GC (and debit SALES?)?
    - It would be better to set up some "GC faked out by BillingAcct"
products to track the number and value of these types of sales, but
that's not super-critical
    - Could I do any/all of this manually?

2) Use OrderMgr to process any sales (when the recipient of the GC comes
in to redeem)
    - In my initial testing, when I Finalize the order I get to the
Payment screen and it shows the billing account as a payment option, but
I can't work out how to debit the BillingAcct. Can someone advise?

With a little bit of manual effort, it looks like the BillingAcct can
make a good substitute for a real GC, but as you can see there's one or
two areas I don't know how to handle.

Cheers, Iain