Cancel shipment

Iain Fogg
Is it possible to cancel a shipment? I know I can change the Shipment
status to "Cancelled", but that doesn't trigger consequent cancellation
of item issuances inventory item detail records, etc. Maybe I'm missing
something obvious?

The scenario is:

. Customer places order
. Order is packed
. Customer changes mind so we need to return the items in the order to
inventory

Cheers, Iain

Re: Cancel shipment

This is an interesting point. I have no time to seek further tonight, anybody an idea ?

Jacques

De : "Iain Fogg" <[hidden email]>

> Is it possible to cancel a shipment? I know I can change the Shipment
> status to "Cancelled", but that doesn't trigger consequent cancellation
> of item issuances inventory item detail records, etc. Maybe I'm missing
> something obvious?
>
> The scenario is:
>
> . Customer places order
> . Order is packed
> . Customer changes mind so we need to return the items in the order to
> inventory
>
> Cheers, Iain

Re: Cancel shipment

David E Jones

Wow, that's a level of service I've never heard of a retailer offering. It's basically saying that we've packed and labeled your box and it's sitting on the loading dock but the carrier hasn't picked it up yet, so we'll cancel the order. We will incur the cost of unpacking and restocking the item, and because the credit card has already been charged we'll refund that and pay the transaction fee, oh, and because we've already booked the shipping with the carrier we'll cancel that for you and if the carrier charges us for that we'll pay that too.

Most companies don't even track beyond packed, ie they don't flag shipments as shipped (ie picked up by the carrier), let alone go to all the trouble of pulling an order after packing.

Anyway, I guess if you wanted to do this the previous two paragraphs describe more or less what you'd need to do for all of this...

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> This is an interesting point. I have no time to seek further tonight, anybody an idea ?
>
> Jacques
>
> De : "Iain Fogg" <[hidden email]>
>> Is it possible to cancel a shipment? I know I can change the Shipment
>> status to "Cancelled", but that doesn't trigger consequent cancellation
>> of item issuances inventory item detail records, etc. Maybe I'm missing
>> something obvious?
>>
>> The scenario is:
>>
>> . Customer places order
>> . Order is packed
>> . Customer changes mind so we need to return the items in the order to
>> inventory
>>
>> Cheers, Iain

Re: Cancel shipment

Thanks for comment David,

Pretty clear ! ;o)

Jacques

De : "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>

> Wow, that's a level of service I've never heard of a retailer offering. It's basically saying that we've packed and labeled your
box and it's sitting on the loading dock but the carrier hasn't picked it up yet, so we'll cancel the order. We will incur the cost
of unpacking and restocking the item, and because the credit card has already been charged we'll refund that and pay the transaction
fee, oh, and because we've already booked the shipping with the carrier we'll cancel that for you and if the carrier charges us for
that we'll pay that too.

> Most companies don't even track beyond packed, ie they don't flag shipments as shipped (ie picked up by the carrier), let alone go
to all the trouble of pulling an order after packing.

> Anyway, I guess if you wanted to do this the previous two paragraphs describe more or less what you'd need to do for all of
this...

> -David
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> > This is an interesting point. I have no time to seek further tonight, anybody an idea ?
> >
> > Jacques
> >
> > De : "Iain Fogg" <[hidden email]>
> >> Is it possible to cancel a shipment? I know I can change the Shipment
> >> status to "Cancelled", but that doesn't trigger consequent cancellation
> >> of item issuances inventory item detail records, etc. Maybe I'm missing
> >> something obvious?
> >>
> >> The scenario is:
> >>
> >> . Customer places order
> >> . Order is packed
> >> . Customer changes mind so we need to return the items in the order to
> >> inventory
> >>
> >> Cheers, Iain

Re: Cancel shipment

Scott Gray
Hi Ian

Are the goods actually being shipped or is this more of a retail backorder
reservation arrangement?  If it's the latter then I would either settle for
creating a return for the order or otherwise perhaps look into finding a way
to use pick lists to pick the order and not pack it until the customer comes
to collect.

Regards
Scott

On 06/08/07, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for comment David,
>
> Pretty clear ! ;o)
>
> Jacques
>
> De : "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Wow, that's a level of service I've never heard of a retailer offering.
> It's basically saying that we've packed and labeled your
> box and it's sitting on the loading dock but the carrier hasn't picked it
> up yet, so we'll cancel the order. We will incur the cost
> of unpacking and restocking the item, and because the credit card has
> already been charged we'll refund that and pay the transaction
> fee, oh, and because we've already booked the shipping with the carrier
> we'll cancel that for you and if the carrier charges us for
> that we'll pay that too.
> >
> > Most companies don't even track beyond packed, ie they don't flag
> shipments as shipped (ie picked up by the carrier), let alone go
> to all the trouble of pulling an order after packing.
> >
> > Anyway, I guess if you wanted to do this the previous two paragraphs
> describe more or less what you'd need to do for all of
> this...
> >
> > -David
> >

> > Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> > > This is an interesting point. I have no time to seek further tonight,
> anybody an idea ?
> > >
> > > Jacques
> > >
> > > De : "Iain Fogg" <[hidden email]>
> cancellation
> missing

Re: Cancel shipment

Iain Fogg
David and Jacques,

Thanks for the responses.

 >> Wow, that's a level of service I've never heard of a retailer offering.

That is precisely a service level we do offer (on a case-by-case basis).
It builds customer loyalty, and if cancelled items are easily resold to
other customers - no big deal. We obviously don't do this all the time.

 >>It's basically saying that we've packed and labeled your box and it's
sitting on the loading dock but the carrier hasn't picked it up yet, so
we'll cancel the order.

Yep, except the reality is that the order is sitting in a paper bag with
a note written on it, and 99% of such orders are collected by the
customer (ie, no shipping).

 >> We will incur the cost of unpacking and restocking the item,

A paper bag doesn't cost much, and walking the item over to a shelf is
no big deal :-)

 >> and because the credit card has already been charged we'll refund
that and pay the transaction fee,

Not usually the case for us. Except in unusual situations, we don't
require customers to pre-pay (see earlier note about customer loyalty).

 >> oh, and because we've already booked the shipping with the carrier
we'll cancel that for you and if the carrier charges us for that we'll
pay that too.

Not an issue in our case.

As you can see, this highlights the fact that our workflows and
practices _in this scenario_ are somewhat different to those assumed in
your reply. Perhaps the most important assumption in your walk-through
is that the shipment we are talking about is in the PACKED state
(invoices generated, etc), but is there any reason why a shipment in,
say, the CREATED state should not be cancellable (including  un-issuing
items)? In our typical scenario, we won't change the shipment's status
to PACKED until the customer walks in to collect. The OOTB UI let's us
delete items from packages, delete packages, cancel the shipment, etc,
but it won't let us cancel an item issuance - any idea if there is a
good reason for that, or is it just that no-one's thought it was needed
before? If we had this ability, our workflow is easily supported
(provided we don't PACK the shipment, but leave it CREATED).

Cheers, Iain

David E Jones wrote:

> Wow, that's a level of service I've never heard of a retailer
> offering. It's basically saying that we've packed and labeled your box
> and it's sitting on the loading dock but the carrier hasn't picked it
> up yet, so we'll cancel the order. We will incur the cost of unpacking
> and restocking the item, and because the credit card has already been
> charged we'll refund that and pay the transaction fee, oh, and because
> we've already booked the shipping with the carrier we'll cancel that
> for you and if the carrier charges us for that we'll pay that too.
>
> Most companies don't even track beyond packed, ie they don't flag
> shipments as shipped (ie picked up by the carrier), let alone go to
> all the trouble of pulling an order after packing.
>
> Anyway, I guess if you wanted to do this the previous two paragraphs
> describe more or less what you'd need to do for all of this...
>
> -David
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> This is an interesting point. I have no time to seek further tonight,
>> anybody an idea ?
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> De : "Iain Fogg" <[hidden email]>
>>> Is it possible to cancel a shipment? I know I can change the
>>> Shipment status to "Cancelled", but that doesn't trigger consequent
>>> cancellation of item issuances inventory item detail records, etc.
>>> Maybe I'm missing something obvious?
>>>
>>> The scenario is:
>>>
>>> . Customer places order
>>> . Order is packed
>>> . Customer changes mind so we need to return the items in the order
>>> to inventory
>>>
>>> Cheers, Iain

Re: Cancel shipment

Iain Fogg
Scott,

Yep, it's a retail BO reservation situation. Things'd be easily handled
if we could UNISSUE items from a shipment - not sure why that capability
isn't available since you can manipulate just about everything else on a
shipment (eg, packages). Obviously, there could be some contraint on
this service, like it is only possible if the shipment is still in the
CREATED or (maybe) PICKED state.

Being able to unissue items would also be extremely useful for those
situations where you accidently issue PO items but realise you made a
mistake - this happens maybe one a month for us.

I have looked at picklists and I think these are possibly a better
solution, but we need to spend some time cleaning up our sales orders
before we can make proper use of this (don't ask!)

Cheers, Iain

Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi Ian
>
> Are the goods actually being shipped or is this more of a retail backorder
> reservation arrangement?  If it's the latter then I would either settle for
> creating a return for the order or otherwise perhaps look into finding a way
> to use pick lists to pick the order and not pack it until the customer comes
> to collect.
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 06/08/07, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for comment David,
>>
>> Pretty clear ! ;o)
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> De : "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Wow, that's a level of service I've never heard of a retailer offering.
>>>
>> It's basically saying that we've packed and labeled your
>> box and it's sitting on the loading dock but the carrier hasn't picked it
>> up yet, so we'll cancel the order. We will incur the cost
>> of unpacking and restocking the item, and because the credit card has
>> already been charged we'll refund that and pay the transaction
>> fee, oh, and because we've already booked the shipping with the carrier
>> we'll cancel that for you and if the carrier charges us for
>> that we'll pay that too.
>>
>>> Most companies don't even track beyond packed, ie they don't flag
>>>
>> shipments as shipped (ie picked up by the carrier), let alone go
>> to all the trouble of pulling an order after packing.
>>
>>> Anyway, I guess if you wanted to do this the previous two paragraphs
>>>
>> describe more or less what you'd need to do for all of
>> this...
>>
>>> -David

>> anybody an idea ?

>> cancellation

>> missing

Re: Cancel shipment

David E Jones

iain wrote:
> As you can see, this highlights the fact that our workflows and
> practices _in this scenario_ are somewhat different to those assumed in
> your reply.

Yeah, very different. On a side note not totally relevant to this thread: that would have been helpful information in getting your question answered in a more helpful way.

Re: Cancel shipment

Iain Fogg
David,

You're absolutely right. As I was digesting your reply it dawned on me
that a critical point I didn't make was that the shipments I'm talking
about aren't even in the PACKED state yet.

Cheers, Iain

David E Jones wrote:

> iain wrote:
>> As you can see, this highlights the fact that our workflows and
>> practices _in this scenario_ are somewhat different to those assumed
>> in your reply.
>
> Yeah, very different. On a side note not totally relevant to this
> thread: that would have been helpful information in getting your
> question answered in a more helpful way.

Re: Cancel shipment

Jacopo Cappellato
Iain,

in my opinion, adding the ability to cancel an item issuance (for a non
packed shipment) would be useful and not too difficult to implement; the
only thing to consider (maybe) is that if, when the item issuance is
created, an accounting transaction is sent to the general ledger (e.g.
by the Opentaps' financial component) we will have to void it with
another transaction.

However, you can probably do what you are describing also using the
"shipment plan" screen of the shipment: from ther you can assign order
items to shipment items without issuing product from warehouse.
there are no issuances involved and so you can cancel the shipment items
(but I've not tested this process).
And when you are ready to actually ship the items to the customer, from
the shipment->shipment plan screen you can just issue them with one click.

Just my two cents,

Jacopo