Country names and state/county/province names follow ISO?

Country names and state/county/province names follow ISO?

jonwimp
Do the state/county/province names in table GEO follow ISO 3166-2?

See eg in GEO: Surrey in UK is 'GBR-SURR' rather than 'GBR-SRY'.

Is the following resource valid?:

http://www.statoids.com/ugb.html

Jonathon

Re: Country names and state/county/province names follow ISO?

Andrew Sykes
Jonathon,

At the time I wrote these, I couldn't find any such resource - don't
know why - so no, they do not follow ISO 3166-2, if you'd like to look
into this, that would be great - unfortunately I don't have much time at
the moment to help - sorry.

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Country names and state/county/province names follow ISO?

jonwimp
Andrew,

I can't find any comprehensive ISO 3166-2 listings either. The URL (statoids.com) I mentioned seem
to have information to ISO 3166-2, probably because the author actually bought the ISO 3166-2
databases from iso.org at http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/05database/index.html
. I haven't verified this yet.

Anyway, I heard the UK counties are a tricky thing to track, like say for Cleveland that is no
longer existent but is still thought to exist by many folks living near that area. Ie, if I take
out Cleveland in OFBiz data (assuming it was there), many UK users would complain.

Jonathon

Andrew Sykes wrote:

> Jonathon,
>
> At the time I wrote these, I couldn't find any such resource - don't
> know why - so no, they do not follow ISO 3166-2, if you'd like to look
> into this, that would be great - unfortunately I don't have much time at
> the moment to help - sorry.
>
> - Andrew
>
> On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 15:13 +0800, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>> Do the state/county/province names in table GEO follow ISO 3166-2?
>>
>> See eg in GEO: Surrey in UK is 'GBR-SURR' rather than 'GBR-SRY'.
>>
>> Is the following resource valid?:
>>
>> http://www.statoids.com/ugb.html
>>
>> Jonathon

RE: Country names and state/county/province names follow ISO?

rhowell
Hi Jonathon,

I used to work for The Office for National Statistics here in the UK.
UK Geography is a constantly changing headache. They have got quite a good
description why on their website.
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geography/default.asp

They also have a list of legal names, codes etc..
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geography/faq_names_codes_legal.asp

Rupert Howell

Provolve Ltd

Technopole
Kingston Crescent
Portsmouth
PO2 8FA

Tel: 020 8144 7877
E-mail: [hidden email]

Andrew Sykes wrote:

> Jonathon,
>
> At the time I wrote these, I couldn't find any such resource - don't
> know why - so no, they do not follow ISO 3166-2, if you'd like to look
> into this, that would be great - unfortunately I don't have much time
> at the moment to help - sorry.
>
> - Andrew
>
> On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 15:13 +0800, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>> Do the state/county/province names in table GEO follow ISO 3166-2?
>>
>> See eg in GEO: Surrey in UK is 'GBR-SURR' rather than 'GBR-SRY'.
>>
>> Is the following resource valid?:
>>
>> http://www.statoids.com/ugb.html
>>
>> Jonathon

Re: Country names and state/county/province names follow ISO?

Guido Amarilla
I found a List for other countries in Wikipedia. I used it to for my
country geo codes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1

Each country has a link for the ISO_3166-2 codes (states/provinces)
(not available for every country)

Guido

Guido Amarilla

Re: Country names and state/county/province names follow ISO?

jonwimp
Hey Guido,

Great find! I've been prowling that page so many times, I didn't see the ISO 3166-2 codes! Guess I
didn't scroll down enough. (I do tend to give up on emails if I have to scroll down a pageful of
quoting just to get to the email's message.).

Thanks! I don't have to use statoids.com anymore! (It's sometimes down.).

Jonathon