Courier / Vehicle Management

HD-3
I'm currently building an ofbiz solution for a courier/transportation company.
They need to be able to manage vehicles, track mileage, servicing and all costs.
This needs route mangement and GPS tracking to see where vehicles are at any one time.
Can anyone recommend any tips or doco for building a courier/package/shipment system?
Many thanks
hd

Re: Courier / Vehicle Mangement

fadzi
If you play around with Facility component i think you will find much of the
useful functionality for
managing vehicles (assets)- its quite intuitive. Shipping and inventory will
be useful as well.
GPS umm, havent thought about this but from previous experience (non Ofbiz)
you
can implement this via web services (eg from PDA to web services). Ofbiz has
got
SOAP integration but i havent experiemented with it personally.

I am spec-ing a similar system but we are still in its infancy.

Thats my 2cents anyway.

> I'm currently building an ofbiz solution for a courier/transportation
> company.
> They need to be able to manage vehicles, track mileage, servicing and all
> costs.
> This needs route mangement and GPS tracking to see where vehicles are at
> any
> one time.
> Can anyone recommend any tips or doco for building a
> courier/package/shipment system?
> Many thanks
> hd
> Sent from the OFBiz - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Courier / Vehicle Management

HD-3
Thanks Fadzi,
I think the best way to implement would be to set up a webapp on a PDA which will call a webservice to provide GPS coordinates at a regular interval, say every 5 minutes from all the vehicles.
It's being able to see (and drill down) customers, facilities, delivery routes, vehicle locations and traffic hotspots on a local, regional, national, european (and global map - I am considering googlemaps) in realish time that i'm keen on building on ofbiz.
If anyone is interested in this, please keep in touch here!
I'll update this forum with progress in anycase.
hd

Fadzi Ushewokunze wrote