[DISCUSSION] How can we make OFBiz more appealing to adopters and (new) contributors?

[DISCUSSION] How can we make OFBiz more appealing to adopters and (new) contributors?

Pierre Smits-3
Over the past two years we started on several paths to make OFBiz
better. We started with several refactoring endeavours, we initiated a new
way of documenting, etc.

But what strategic choices would benefit the project too?
- would opening up our repos more to git (GitHub) help us attract more
contributors?
Over the years we have had several discussions whether or not we would the
git way-of-working, but it always was internally oriented, not considering
the potential for furthering the project (adoption/contribution wise).
- would splitting up the combined web-apps (like marketing and sfa) into
separate components offer more choice to our potential adopters and
contributors (to work on)?
- would disentanglement of 3rd party integrations (fintech and logistic)
and the several themes into separate components offer more choice to our
potential adopters and contributors?
Several integrations are outdated or even haven't delivered on the promise
at all (consider the iDEAL fintech integration), nor did they gather
outside traction, leading to more contributors/improvements
- would the project not benefit from an approach followed by the Apache
Commons project (each component a separate repo)?

What are your thoughts?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008*

Re: [DISCUSSION] How can we make OFBiz more appealing to adopters and (new) contributors?

Hi Pierre,

Le 08/10/2018 à 11:10, Pierre Smits a écrit :

> Over the past two years we started on several paths to make OFBiz
> better. We started with several refactoring endeavours, we initiated a new
> way of documenting, etc.
>
> But what strategic choices would benefit the project too?
> - would opening up our repos more to git (GitHub) help us attract more
> contributors?
> Over the years we have had several discussions whether or not we would the
> git way-of-working, but it always was internally oriented, not considering
> the potential for furthering the project (adoption/contribution wise).
> - would splitting up the combined web-apps (like marketing and sfa) into
> separate components offer more choice to our potential adopters and
> contributors (to work on)?
> - would disentanglement of 3rd party integrations (fintech and logistic)
> and the several themes into separate components offer more choice to our
> potential adopters and contributors?
> Several integrations are outdated or even haven't delivered on the promise
> at all (consider the iDEAL fintech integration), nor did they gather
> outside traction, leading to more contributors/improvements
> - would the project not benefit from an approach followed by the Apache
> Commons project (each component a separate repo)?
>
> What are your thoughts?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> *Apache Trafodion<https://trafodion.apache.org>, Vice President*
> *Apache Directory<https://directory.apache.org>, PMC Member*
> Apache Incubator<https://incubator.apache.org>, committer
> *Apache OFBiz<https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
> since 2008*
> Apache Steve<https://steve.apache.org>, committer

Re: [DISCUSSION] How can we make OFBiz more appealing to adopters and (new) contributors?

Oops sorry it seems I pushed a wrong button :-[