[DOC] Viewing the OFBiz Manuals in Progress

[DOC] Viewing the OFBiz Manuals in Progress

Sharan Foga
Hi All

As we start working on the documentation, is there a way that we could make the latest manuals accessible via a link?

We have the pdf and html manuals built by default and available in our trunk demo. Could we provide a link them? (or maybe only one perhaps the html?) so that people can see the latest versions?

The reason I’m thinking about something like this is because not everyone in our documentation team will be checking out the code, testing their changes and making patches. Some of them will simply be writing content, so this could be a way for them to see the result of their efforts as the manuals get filled with information.

What do people think?

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [DOC] Viewing the OFBiz Manuals in Progress

taher
Hi Sharan,

Since our documentation system generates HTML, we can publish it to
our wiki in a similar fashion to how we usually publish README.md. I'm
not sure if we can automate the wiki or we should just copy-paste
every once in a while. Others might provide some good feedback here.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> As we start working on the documentation, is there a way that we could make the latest manuals accessible via a link?
>
> We have the pdf and html manuals built by default and available in our trunk demo. Could we provide a link them? (or maybe only one perhaps the html?) so that people can see the latest versions?
>
> The reason I’m thinking about something like this is because not everyone in our documentation team will be checking out the code, testing their changes and making patches. Some of them will simply be writing content, so this could be a way for them to see the result of their efforts as the manuals get filled with information.
>
> What do people think?
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Re: [DOC] Viewing the OFBiz Manuals in Progress

Hi Taher, Sharan

We can easily import HTML directly from the svn repo. See how it's done (in edit mode) using the HTML import Confluence plugin at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/From+Ant+to+Gradle+-+trunk+version

Once the page is saved it updates automatically

HTH

Jacques

Le 20/03/2018 à 10:57, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :

> Hi Sharan,
>
> Since our documentation system generates HTML, we can publish it to
> our wiki in a similar fashion to how we usually publish README.md. I'm
> not sure if we can automate the wiki or we should just copy-paste
> every once in a while. Others might provide some good feedback here.
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> As we start working on the documentation, is there a way that we could make the latest manuals accessible via a link?
>>
>> We have the pdf and html manuals built by default and available in our trunk demo. Could we provide a link them? (or maybe only one perhaps the html?) so that people can see the latest versions?
>>
>> The reason I’m thinking about something like this is because not everyone in our documentation team will be checking out the code, testing their changes and making patches. Some of them will simply be writing content, so this could be a way for them to see the result of their efforts as the manuals get filled with information.
>>
>> What do people think?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharan

Re: [DOC] Viewing the OFBiz Manuals in Progress

taher
Hi Jacques, so if my understanding is correct the way to create this
is by creating an HTML macro and linking it to where the file is
located.

Great, but this assumes that "./gradlew generateOfbizDocumentation" is
called beforehand. Where do we automate that call?

Le 20/03/2018 à 13:52, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
> Hi Jacques, so if my understanding is correct the way to create this
> is by creating an HTML macro and linking it to where the file is
> located.
Yes

> Great, but this assumes that "./gradlew generateOfbizDocumentation" is
> called beforehand. Where do we automate that call?
BuildBot seems appropriate

Jacques

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 2:49 PM, Jacques Le Roux
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Taher, Sharan
>>
>> We can easily import HTML directly from the svn repo. See how it's done (in
>> edit mode) using the HTML import Confluence plugin at
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/From+Ant+to+Gradle+-+trunk+version
>>
>> Once the page is saved it updates automatically
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 20/03/2018 à 10:57, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
>>> Hi Sharan,
>>>
>>> Since our documentation system generates HTML, we can publish it to
>>> our wiki in a similar fashion to how we usually publish README.md. I'm
>>> not sure if we can automate the wiki or we should just copy-paste
>>> every once in a while. Others might provide some good feedback here.

Re: [DOC] Viewing the OFBiz Manuals in Progress

taher
Hi Sharan, Jacques, All

Okay so if you want to move forward with this, I suggest to create a page
somewhere in wiki to receive the publication, then we update buildbot to
generate the docs.