[DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

[DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Sharan-F
Hi All

Craig Parker and I are planning to take on our End User Documentation
problem. Our goal is to improve the OFBiz documentation and provide some
useful information for users and non-technical people. We plan to work
on the following:

*_OFBiz Glossary_*

  * Put together a full glossary of OFBiz terms so that the concepts are
    clear (things like catalogs, parties, even products can be confusing
    when trying to explain what they are)

*_Menu Structured Documentation _*

  * This will follow the existing menu structure and will eventually
    replace / update the current in application screen help that is
    already in OFBiz.
  * The focus of this effort will be to standardise the information and
    complete missing information initially for core modules and official
    plugins

*_End User Guide_*

  * This will give users an overview of the applications and processes
  * It will include a list of basic tasks for each process
  * It will also include links to examples

*_How Tos_*

  * This will be a quick reference How-To by area (for example the first
    set of these will focus on downloading and installing OFBiz)

*_Examples and Tutorials_*

  * This will provide practical examples of using the applications in a
    real life scenario
  * It will build understanding (and familiarity) by having a common
    theme or story

*_Training Matrix_*

  * We also talked about putting together some form of Training Matrix
    but I think that could be done after the other content has been
    developed.

*_Implementation Strategy and Next Steps_*
I'd like to temporarily recover and use the End User Docs workspace to
prepare all of these. I prefer using a separate space where we won't
need to be concerned about the wiki re-organisation. Also at the moment
there is already some user documentation in the End User Docs workspace
so we can review that as part of the documentation effort and
incorporate it or re-write it where it necessary.

Another idea is that the End User Docs workspace could be a good place
to store what will become the replacement for our in application screen
sensitive help. The main thing we are missing is content - once we have
the content we look at extracting it into whatever format we need.

As the documentation sections are completed we will move them over to
the re-organised documentation space in the wiki.

At this stage we are going to be having any documentation discussions
etc on this list but the aim is that this effort will eventually also
encourage contributions and feedback from our user community.

Also if anyone else is interested in helping contribute to this effort
then please let me know.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Swapnil Mane
Thanks Sharan and Craig, these plans looks really good :-)

Please let me know if I can help in any contribution.

- Best Regards,
Swapnil M Mane
www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Another idea is that the End User Docs workspace could be a good place to
> store what will become the replacement for our in application screen
> sensitive help. The main thing we are missing is content - once we have the
> content we look at extracting it into whatever format we need.
>
> As the documentation sections are completed we will move them over to the
> re-organised documentation space in the wiki.
>
> At this stage we are going to be having any documentation discussions etc
> on this list but the aim is that this effort will eventually also encourage
> contributions and feedback from our user community.
>
> Also if anyone else is interested in helping contribute to this effort
> then please let me know.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Michael Brohl-3
Hi Sharan, Craig,

this is great and will fit well into the Wiki restructure efforts.

For the FAQ or how-tos, we can check the user questions and start with
the most frequently asked questions/answers found on the mailing lists
and stack overflow [1].

Looking forward to your documentation results,

best regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/ofbiz

Am 30.05.17 um 10:12 schrieb Sharan Foga:

> [...]
>
> Another idea is that the End User Docs workspace could be a good place
> to store what will become the replacement for our in application
> screen sensitive help. The main thing we are missing is content - once
> we have the content we look at extracting it into whatever format we
> need.
>
> As the documentation sections are completed we will move them over to
> the re-organised documentation space in the wiki.
>
> At this stage we are going to be having any documentation discussions
> etc on this list but the aim is that this effort will eventually also
> encourage contributions and feedback from our user community.
>
> Also if anyone else is interested in helping contribute to this effort
> then please let me know.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Excellent and thanks for the link Michael!

Thanks
Sharan

On 30/05/17 11:07, Michael Brohl wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Another idea is that the End User Docs workspace could be a good
>> place to store what will become the replacement for our in
>> application screen sensitive help. The main thing we are missing is
>> content - once we have the content we look at extracting it into
>> whatever format we need.
>>
>> As the documentation sections are completed we will move them over to
>> the re-organised documentation space in the wiki.
>>
>> At this stage we are going to be having any documentation discussions
>> etc on this list but the aim is that this effort will eventually also
>> encourage contributions and feedback from our user community.
>>
>> Also if anyone else is interested in helping contribute to this
>> effort then please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharan

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

taher
+1

Fantastic initiative.

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Another idea is that the End User Docs workspace could be a good place
>>> to store what will become the replacement for our in application screen
>>> sensitive help. The main thing we are missing is content - once we have the
>>> content we look at extracting it into whatever format we need.
>>>
>>> As the documentation sections are completed we will move them over to
>>> the re-organised documentation space in the wiki.
>>>
>>> At this stage we are going to be having any documentation discussions
>>> etc on this list but the aim is that this effort will eventually also
>>> encourage contributions and feedback from our user community.
>>>
>>> Also if anyone else is interested in helping contribute to this effort
>>> then please let me know.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Pierre Smits
Great initiative!

How does is this going to fit into our new website initiative?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Fantastic initiative.
>
> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Excellent and thanks for the link Michael!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan
> >

> > On 30/05/17 11:07, Michael Brohl wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Sharan, Craig,
> >>
> >> this is great and will fit well into the Wiki restructure efforts.
> >>
> >> For the FAQ or how-tos, we can check the user questions and start with
> >> the most frequently asked questions/answers found on the mailing lists
> and
> >> stack overflow [1].
> >>
> >> Looking forward to your documentation results,
> >>
> >> best regards,
> >>
> >> Michael Brohl
> >> ecomify GmbH
> >> www.ecomify.de
> >>
> >> [1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/ofbiz

> some
> on

> need
> there is
> can

> have the

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Sharan-F
Thanks Pierre!

At the moment the new website has a menu option called 'Documentation'
and a submenu 'User Documentaton' with a link that doesn't actually
point anywhere yet. So this is where a key entry point will be. We could
also add specific links from the home page or page footer as a quick link.

Thanks
Sharan

On 30/05/17 14:43, Pierre Smits wrote:

> Great initiative!
>
> How does is this going to fit into our new website initiative?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Fantastic initiative.
>>
>> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Excellent and thanks for the link Michael!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

>> and

>> some
>> on

>> need
>> there is
>> can

>> have the

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Michael Brohl-3
I think it would be great if we could refer to the wiki pages but have
the look & feel of the (new) website.

I'm not sure how it is done but the Camel people refer to their wiki
pages in Confluence but the website does not look like Confluence. Just
click on "edit page" at the end of the pages and you'll be directed to
Confluence.

This way we could have the advantages of a wiki but have also a nicer
user experience.

Regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Am 30.05.17 um 15:16 schrieb Sharan Foga:

> Thanks Pierre!
>
> At the moment the new website has a menu option called 'Documentation'
> and a submenu 'User Documentaton' with a link that doesn't actually
> point anywhere yet. So this is where a key entry point will be. We
> could also add specific links from the home page or page footer as a
> quick link.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan
>
> On 30/05/17 14:43, Pierre Smits wrote:
>> Great initiative!
>>
>> How does is this going to fit into our new website initiative?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pierre Smits
>>
>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>
>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>>
>> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Fantastic initiative.

>>> and

>>> some
>>> on

>>> need
>>> there is
>>> can

>>> have the

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Michael Brohl-3
They also have a (somehow generated) User manual for every
Release/Version available in html [1] and PDF [2] format.

[1] http://camel.apache.org/manual.html

[2] http://camel.apache.org/manual/

Regards,

Michael

Am 30.05.17 um 15:44 schrieb Michael Brohl:

> I think it would be great if we could refer to the wiki pages but have
> the look & feel of the (new) website.
>
> I'm not sure how it is done but the Camel people refer to their wiki
> pages in Confluence but the website does not look like Confluence.
> Just click on "edit page" at the end of the pages and you'll be
> directed to Confluence.
>
> This way we could have the advantages of a wiki but have also a nicer
> user experience.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Brohl
> ecomify GmbH
> www.ecomify.de
>

> Am 30.05.17 um 15:16 schrieb Sharan Foga:
>> Thanks Pierre!
>>
>> At the moment the new website has a menu option called
>> 'Documentation' and a submenu 'User Documentaton' with a link that
>> doesn't actually point anywhere yet. So this is where a key entry
>> point will be. We could also add specific links from the home page or
>> page footer as a quick link.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharan
>>
>> On 30/05/17 14:43, Pierre Smits wrote:
>>> Great initiative!
>>>
>>> How does is this going to fit into our new website initiative?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Pierre Smits
>>>
>>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>>
>>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Sharan-F
It sounds like we need to talk to them. I'd be happy to take a look at
their lists and ask some questions.

Thanks
Sharan

On 30/05/17 15:53, Michael Brohl wrote:

> They also have a (somehow generated) User manual for every
> Release/Version available in html [1] and PDF [2] format.
>
> [1] http://camel.apache.org/manual.html
>
> [2] http://camel.apache.org/manual/
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>

> Am 30.05.17 um 15:44 schrieb Michael Brohl:
>> I think it would be great if we could refer to the wiki pages but
>> have the look & feel of the (new) website.
>>
>> I'm not sure how it is done but the Camel people refer to their wiki
>> pages in Confluence but the website does not look like Confluence.
>> Just click on "edit page" at the end of the pages and you'll be
>> directed to Confluence.
>>
>> This way we could have the advantages of a wiki but have also a nicer
>> user experience.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael Brohl
>> ecomify GmbH
>> www.ecomify.de
>>

>> Am 30.05.17 um 15:16 schrieb Sharan Foga:
>>> Thanks Pierre!
>>>
>>> At the moment the new website has a menu option called
>>> 'Documentation' and a submenu 'User Documentaton' with a link that
>>> doesn't actually point anywhere yet. So this is where a key entry
>>> point will be. We could also add specific links from the home page
>>> or page footer as a quick link.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Pranay Pandey-3
+1

Best regards,

Pranay Pandey
Senior Manager, Enterprise Software Development
HotWax Systems
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/

> [...]

> Another idea is that the End User Docs workspace could be a good place to
> store what will become the replacement for our in application screen
> sensitive help. The main thing we are missing is content - once we have the
> content we look at extracting it into whatever format we need.
>
> As the documentation sections are completed we will move them over to the
> re-organised documentation space in the wiki.
>
> At this stage we are going to be having any documentation discussions etc
> on this list but the aim is that this effort will eventually also encourage
> contributions and feedback from our user community.
>
> Also if anyone else is interested in helping contribute to this effort
> then please let me know.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Re: [DOCUMENTATION] Fixing our End User Documentation Problem

Sharan Foga
Hi All

Just for info - I've made a post to the camel community here

https://s.apache.org/QmyQ

I'll monitor it for any responses or feedback.

Thanks
Sharan