Dev - CommEventOrder, CommEventProduct, and CommEventContentAssoc

Dev - CommEventOrder, CommEventProduct, and CommEventContentAssoc

Si Chen-2
Al,

I saw your commits r 7089 and r 7090.  What are the purposes of
CommEventOrder and CommEventProduct?  When are they to be used?

Is CommEventContentAssoc for associating attachments to a CommEvent?

Si

Re: Dev - CommEventOrder, CommEventProduct, and CommEventContentAssoc

byersa
Si Chen wrote:

>Al,
>
>I saw your commits r 7089 and r 7090.  What are the purposes of
>CommEventOrder and CommEventProduct?  When are they to be used?

Si,

I have a contract in which the client wants to be able to associate comm
events with Orders and Products - David's advice about associating them
with CustRequest notwithstanding. I realize that one client's needs do
not necessarily make for a valid reason for including in the project,
but I tried to get feedback without a definitive yes or no. I put them
in with the reasoning that there are many entities and services in OFBiz
that are not used that much, but the fact that they are there just means
that some others who would also like to use them won't have to duplicate
them. I have no strong feelings about this - I just felt that it was a
shame to exclude functionality that may be of use to someone. I realize
that this could lead to excess bloat and would be glad to move them if
the concensus is that they should not be there.

>Is CommEventContentAssoc for associating attachments to a CommEvent?

Yes it is. Do you have any thoughts on that. Unlike the above entities,
I don't think that there is much question about the need for this
entity, though its composition may require some tweaking.

I appreciate the review.

-Al

>Si

Re: Dev - CommEventOrder, CommEventProduct, and CommEventContentAssoc

Si Chen-2
Al,

Let's see what David says about CommEventOrder and CommEventProduct.  I do have some more questions about CommEventContentAssoc:

1.  How should we store the type of Content?  Should we use Content.mimeTypeId to store if it is a PDF, JPG, DOC, etc.?  What about what kind of an association it is?  Do we only assume that the association is an attachment, or could there be other associations which require a separate Type field?

2.  How do we create, say, a JPG attachment to a CommunicationEvent?  Should we create a DataResource and store the JPG into it, then associate the DataResource with a Content, and the Content with a CommEventContentAssoc?  How would we retrieve the information?

(Sorry, I guess this reflects my general lack of knowledge with the content manager.)

Si

Si Chen wrote:

> Al,
>
> Let's see what David says about CommEventOrder and CommEventProduct.
> I do have some more questions about CommEventContentAssoc:
>
> 1.  How should we store the type of Content?  Should we use
> Content.mimeTypeId to store if it is a PDF, JPG, DOC, etc.?  What
> about what kind of an association it is?  Do we only assume that the
> association is an attachment, or could there be other associations
> which require a separate Type field?

The mime type of the content is actually contained in the
DataResource.mimeTypeId field. I am not terribly clear on how the
Content.mimeTypeId field should be used, except to show a need for a
conversion from its DataResource type to a Content display mime type.

I had a contentAssocTypeId field in CommEventContentAssoc at one time,
but then decided, per David's advice, to take out everything for which I
could not see an immediate use. If it turns out that there is a need for
more than one sort of association, we can put it back.

> 2.  How do we create, say, a JPG attachment to a CommunicationEvent?
> Should we create a DataResource and store the JPG into it, then
> associate the DataResource with a Content, and the Content with a
> CommEventContentAssoc?  How would we retrieve the information?

There is a service, persistContentAndAssoc that consolidates all the
activities for working with Content, DataResource, ElectronicText, etc.
Last night, I committed services for working with CommEventContentAssoc
(create/updateCommEventContentAssoc) and some UI under
partymgr->Communication->Content for adding content to
CommunicationEvent entities. Not quite finished with it, but it should
give you some ideas on how to do all this.

These services will be used in attaching content to comm events that
come from auto-processed emails - which I hope to get to today. The
client wants this documented, so things should be clearer after this week.

-Al

> (Sorry, I guess this reflects my general lack of knowledge with the
> content manager.)
>
> Si
>
> Al Byers wrote:
>
>>Si Chen wrote:
>>

>>>Al,
>>>
>>>I saw your commits r 7089 and r 7090.  What are the purposes of
>>>CommEventOrder and CommEventProduct?  When are they to be used?
>>>

>>Si,
>>
>>I have a contract in which the client wants to be able to associate comm
>>events with Orders and Products - David's advice about associating them
>>with CustRequest notwithstanding. I realize that one client's needs do
>>not necessarily make for a valid reason for including in the project,
>>but I tried to get feedback without a definitive yes or no. I put them
>>in with the reasoning that there are many entities and services in OFBiz
>>that are not used that much, but the fact that they are there just means
>>that some others who would also like to use them won't have to duplicate
>>them. I have no strong feelings about this - I just felt that it was a
>>shame to exclude functionality that may be of use to someone. I realize
>>that this could lead to excess bloat and would be glad to move them if
>>the concensus is that they should not be there.
>>

>>>Is CommEventContentAssoc for associating attachments to a CommEvent?
>>>

>>Yes it is. Do you have any thoughts on that. Unlike the above entities,
>>I don't think that there is much question about the need for this
>>entity, though its composition may require some tweaking.
>>
>>I appreciate the review.
>>
>>-Al
>>

>>>Si

Re: Dev - CommEventOrder, CommEventProduct, and CommEventContentAssoc

BJ Freeman
First thanks AL.  I generally agree with the concept, and Hope to add my
contribution to the Jira.

some thoughts on the actual storage of the mime data.
Like to keep it in a none object format like the base64 (BLOB), then let
the particular mime service create the object when it is to be rendered.

Al Byers sent the following on 3/29/06 7:51 AM:

> [...]
>>>in with the reasoning that there are many entities and services in OFBiz
>>>that are not used that much, but the fact that they are there just means
>>>that some others who would also like to use them won't have to duplicate
>>>them. I have no strong feelings about this - I just felt that it was a
>>>shame to exclude functionality that may be of use to someone. I realize
>>>that this could lead to excess bloat and would be glad to move them if
>>>the concensus is that they should not be there.

>>>Yes it is. Do you have any thoughts on that. Unlike the above entities,
>>>I don't think that there is much question about the need for this
>>>entity, though its composition may require some tweaking.
>>>
>>>I appreciate the review.
>>>
>>>-Al

Re: Dev - CommEventOrder, CommEventProduct, and CommEventContentAssoc

Just a quick note: my comment on simplification was mainly a response to the initial approach of starting with the ContentAssoc entity and adapting it for this purpose.

Having a type in this case I think makes good sense. Any time you can list out a number of different types of content when looking at the concept in general it is probably a good idea.

In this case I don't think the type field needs to be part of the primary key, unless someone can think of a scenario where a single Content record would be associated with a single CommunicationEvent with more than one type.

Some types I can imagine for this might be:

For email CommEvents:
- attachment
- message in plain text
- message in HTML
For others (face to face, fax, phone, paper mail, etc):
- document sent from customer
- document sent to customer
...and so on.

-David