Dev - Interesting Compiere News

David E. Jones

If you haven't seen it already, this is interesting:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/20/79456_HNcompiere_1.html?source=NLC-OS2006-06-21

It looks like Compiere got some good funding.

While we could be jealous of such a thing, it is really good for OFBiz. Compiere has been fence sitting for a while saying they are a community driven open source project, but moving more and more toward the commercial model with a central development team and such.

So what is good about this? It puts OFBiz in the very unique position in the open source enterprise software world of being very nearly the _only_ community driven and fully "free" enterprise open source project.

I can't wait to finish the Apache incubation as that will solidify this position even more.

Re: Dev - Interesting Compiere News

Vinay Agarwal
I agree. It also highlights validity of open source application software
(open source system software has achieved validity a while ago). It may even
help convince some customers.

Regards,
Vinay Agarwal

Re: Dev - Interesting Compiere News

davidnwelton
> It looks like Compiere got some good funding.

6 million dollars isn't a lot if you're going to throw a lot of it
away moving from a town like Portland, Oregon to the bay area, not to
mention all the distraction that sort of thing causes.

> I can't wait to finish the Apache incubation as that will solidify this position even more.

Any progress on extracting a subscriber list from the mailing lists?

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - Interesting Compiere News

BJ Freeman
Ah yes the Sunnyvale syndrome.. LOL
Swimming pools, Tennis courts, showers, Buffet lunch rooms Oh yes don't
forget the game rooms with all the latest Game console.

Work.. uh, sure just let me finish my game first.
LOL.

David Welton sent the following on 6/21/06 12:22 PM:

>>It looks like Compiere got some good funding.
>

> 6 million dollars isn't a lot if you're going to throw a lot of it
> away moving from a town like Portland, Oregon to the bay area, not to
> mention all the distraction that sort of thing causes.
>

>>I can't wait to finish the Apache incubation as that will solidify this position even more.
>

> Any progress on extracting a subscriber list from the mailing lists?

Re: Dev - Interesting Compiere News

David E. Jones

Sounds like the perfect environment to get the creative juices flowing! Hey, even if you don't get a whole lot of work done, what you do get done should be very high quality... or reminiscent of violence or city/country planning.

-David

BJ Freeman wrote:

> Ah yes the Sunnyvale syndrome.. LOL
> Swimming pools, Tennis courts, showers, Buffet lunch rooms Oh yes don't
> forget the game rooms with all the latest Game console.
>
> Work.. uh, sure just let me finish my game first.
> LOL.
>

> David Welton sent the following on 6/21/06 12:22 PM:
>>> It looks like Compiere got some good funding.
>>
>> 6 million dollars isn't a lot if you're going to throw a lot of it
>> away moving from a town like Portland, Oregon to the bay area, not to
>> mention all the distraction that sort of thing causes.
>>

>>> I can't wait to finish the Apache incubation as that will solidify this position even more.
>>
>> Any progress on extracting a subscriber list from the mailing lists?

Re: Dev - Interesting Compiere News

BJ Freeman
sure, but the cost per line of code sure goes up, so that 6 million
should last about 2 years.
Seen a lot of venture capital operation down there in the 80's. Most
companies were surprised to find out they did not own anything any more.
the VC did, and after the first round, they were out on their ears.

David E. Jones sent the following on 6/21/06 3:45 PM:

David Welton wrote:
>> I can't wait to finish the Apache incubation as that will solidify this position even more.
>
> Any progress on extracting a subscriber list from the mailing lists?

I'm still stuck on this where I last left off... I don't know of any way to get the subscriber list out...

If anyone has any experience with, or knowledge of, Mailman circa version 2.1.6 and knows of a way to export a subscriber list, it would be very helpful.

So far all I can come up with is to cut from the subscriber list HTML page and then line by line cut out all the crap and make something moderately useful... I guess for obvious reasons I don't really like that approach.

We could just tell everyone to subscribe to the new lists and see how big the raft is leaving the island... ;)

Re: Dev - Interesting Compiere News

Jacopo Cappellato
David,

can this link be useful?

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-December/041363.html

Jacopo

David E Jones wrote:

> David Welton wrote:
>>> I can't wait to finish the Apache incubation as that will solidify this position even more.
>> Any progress on extracting a subscriber list from the mailing lists?
>
> I'm still stuck on this where I last left off... I don't know of any way to get the subscriber list out...
>
> If anyone has any experience with, or knowledge of, Mailman circa version 2.1.6 and knows of a way to export a subscriber list, it would be very helpful.
>
> So far all I can come up with is to cut from the subscriber list HTML page and then line by line cut out all the crap and make something moderately useful... I guess for obvious reasons I don't really like that approach.
>
> We could just tell everyone to subscribe to the new lists and see how big the raft is leaving the island... ;)

Re: Dev - Interesting Compiere News

cjhowe
David,

Sounds like you're getting spoiled with your
assortment of hammers in your toolbox.  If it outputs
your subscribers to a browser in tabular format grab
yourself a spreadsheet and a couple of left, right,
find commands (or if you need, a text editor that does
column select discussed a few weeks ago) and whack
away.

--- David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David Welton wrote:
> >> I can't wait to finish the Apache incubation as
> that will solidify this position even more.
> >
> > Any progress on extracting a subscriber list from
> the mailing lists?
>
> I'm still stuck on this where I last left off... I
> don't know of any way to get the subscriber list
> out...
>
> If anyone has any experience with, or knowledge of,
> Mailman circa version 2.1.6 and knows of a way to
> export a subscriber list, it would be very helpful.
>
> So far all I can come up with is to cut from the
> subscriber list HTML page and then line by line cut
> out all the crap and make something moderately
> useful... I guess for obvious reasons I don't really
> like that approach.
>
> We could just tell everyone to subscribe to the new
> lists and see how big the raft is leaving the
> island... ;)

Re: Dev - Interesting Compiere News

Andrew Sykes
How about awk/gawk, it can do just about anything!

If you want to send me the page, I'll try to get someone to write
something for it.

- Andrew

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 22:45 -0600, David E Jones wrote:

> David Welton wrote:
> >> I can't wait to finish the Apache incubation as that will solidify this position even more.
> >
> > Any progress on extracting a subscriber list from the mailing lists?
>
> I'm still stuck on this where I last left off... I don't know of any way to get the subscriber list out...
>
> If anyone has any experience with, or knowledge of, Mailman circa version 2.1.6 and knows of a way to export a subscriber list, it would be very helpful.
>
> So far all I can come up with is to cut from the subscriber list HTML page and then line by line cut out all the crap and make something moderately useful... I guess for obvious reasons I don't really like that approach.
>
> We could just tell everyone to subscribe to the new lists and see how big the raft is leaving the island... ;)

Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - Interesting Compiere News

Thanks Jacopo, This one did it. Fortunately mailman has a utility built in to do just what we need. Thanks to others for suggestions too...

-David