Dev - JavaScript/AJAX/Web Form question

Andrew Yager
Hi,

As I've been playing with OfBiz, one thing that I have noticed is
that quite a few of the web forms (particularly address forms) could
really use some sort of JavaScript intelligence. For instance - when
you are modifying the address for a Party, the State select box
contains all the possible states that OfBiz knows about. Since OFBiz
knows the relationship between states and countries, it would seem to
make a lot more sense (from an end user perspective) to add a bit of
JavaScript (perhaps AJAX?) intelligence so that the state list only
showed states from the currently selected country.

I've noticed a relative lack of JavaScript hanging around OfBiz. Is
there a particular reason for this, or is it more that no one has
taken the time to do it yet?

Another obvious thing would be to make it show the name of the state/
country selected as the first option, rather than the not so friendly
GeoId, but I think I need to think on how to do that more... (being
very new to OfBiz, are there any glaringly obvious or slightly
obfuscated suggestions for a solution that I would have missed?)

Thanks,
Andrew

_________________________
Andrew Yager
Real World Technology Solutions
Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
http://www.rwts.com.au/

Re: Dev - JavaScript/AJAX/Web Form question

David E. Jones

On Jan 23, 2006, at 4:34 AM, Andrew Yager wrote:

> As I've been playing with OfBiz, one thing that I have noticed is
> that quite a few of the web forms (particularly address forms) could
> really use some sort of JavaScript intelligence. For instance - when
> you are modifying the address for a Party, the State select box
> contains all the possible states that OfBiz knows about. Since OFBiz
> knows the relationship between states and countries, it would seem to
> make a lot more sense (from an end user perspective) to add a bit of
> JavaScript (perhaps AJAX?) intelligence so that the state list only
> showed states from the currently selected country.
>
> I've noticed a relative lack of JavaScript hanging around OfBiz. Is
> there a particular reason for this, or is it more that no one has
> taken the time to do it yet?
I'd say it's a bit of both... It's funny you should mention this
because I've heard the opposite from some people, ie that there is
too much JavaScript in OFBiz. Still, it's easier to remove than add
(even if it means reduced functionality) so I and many others would
like to see more done in this area.

This particular thing has actually been discussed a couple of times,
but I'm not aware of any active effort to get it built. In this case
AJAX might be nice (though we haven't yet selected a good AJAX or
JavaScript client library for OFBiz, we'd like to find a good, active
open source one; perhaps the new one going into the Apache
incubator...).

Another option would be to just setup some lists declared in JS code
that is generated in the FTL file based on the State-Country
relationships, and then use some simple JS function to change the
list entries when a country is selected.

> Another obvious thing would be to make it show the name of the state/
> country selected as the first option, rather than the not so friendly
> GeoId, but I think I need to think on how to do that more... (being
> very new to OfBiz, are there any glaringly obvious or slightly
> obfuscated suggestions for a solution that I would have missed?)

In some cases this is very easy to do, like with the form widget. In
other cases (if I understand correctly what you are getting at) it
requires a lookup for the geoId and then a change to display that
description.