Dev - New OFBiz Logo!

Re: Dev - New OFBiz Logo!

Alexandre Gomes-5
Hi guys,

Hybrid Compass +1.

Alexandre Gomes

On 6/20/06, David E. Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As part of a larger plan to spruce up the public image of OFBiz (especially preparing for OSCON and other conferences coming up, and for the Apache effort) HotWax Media has helped with creating a new logo for OFBiz. This will be the basis for other marketing collateral such as cards, one-sheets, and even a new ofbiz.org web site.
>
> We were planning on taking a bit more time for this, but we need a high-res logo file for the OSCON booth, and so HotWax pushed this along to get it done by the OSCON deadline, which is tomorrow!
>
> We would like feedback from everyone involved in OFBiz, and especially from those who have contributed to OFBiz and/or run a business on it.
>
> Due to the "expedited" time frame, we only have until tomorrow morning to get feedback, and then we'll be deciding on one (unless there are major objections). So please respond to this by 9:00 AM MDT (GMT-7:00) tomorrow (Wednesday) morning! That gives us a bit under 24 hours to review this.
>
> Again, sorry for the hurried time frame, but if we can get the new logo done (and all of these look pretty good) then we'll have this new logo for the OSCON show to help launch this new image of OFBiz.
>
> You can see the proposed logos here:
>
> http://client.hotwaxmedia.com/ofbiz/
>
> Please note that each of the 4 logo sets has a large logo and a couple of smaller logos that can be used for different purposes (like letterhead/etc logos, versus a powered by and other such things that need a smaller logo).
>
> Because of the time frame we won't be probably won't be doing a formal vote among the larger group, but please vote informally (at the top of your reply to this) of which one you like best. Each of the logo sets has a name, so use that in your "vote".
>
> Thanks for your help with this, and a special thanks to HotWax Media for their help with this.

Re: Dev - New OFBiz Logo!

Daniel Kunkel
Hi

I like Bogdan's first one, and the one called Slanted-O

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 00:25 +0300, Bogdan Susala wrote:

> Hi there
>
> In the true spirit of community work, I have prepared some variants of
> the new OfBiz logo, based on the Power Tag version.
>
> I tried to "formalize" a little bit the feeling, using clean, serious,
> corporate lines and fonts. But that's only my ideas, not meant to
> intervene in any way to HotWax's works.
>
> I know the hurry. Please feel free to use them in whatever fashion, at
> your will. At the below link there is a CMYK PDF with all vectors
> inside, so the guys at HotWax can use them at high resolution.
>
> http://www.epon.ro/ofbiz/ofbiz_logo_v01.pdf
>
> Of course, I will be pleased to freely contribute to any Graphic
> Identity work, enhancements, different layouts or concepts for printed
> literature, web etc. Under the supervision of HotWax or whatever you decide.
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan Susala

Re: Dev - New OFBiz Logo!

Ray Barlow
Appreciate the deadline just a shame we didn't get more time to open it
up as a project the designers out there could have a go at. Maybe that
can be done for the website?

My vote:
1) Hybrid - I don't like the font though
2) Slanted
3) To The Point
4) Power Tag

Also passed it on to our designer who's initial comment was "not that
keen on any!" I'll take as being upset that she didn't have a chance to
contribute. When pushed though she choose:
1) Hybrid with a comment that it needs a darker colour for the font  (I
agree with this as the Slanted text stands out much more on the sample page)

Ray

David E. Jones wrote:

> As part of a larger plan to spruce up the public image of OFBiz (especially preparing for OSCON and other conferences coming up, and for the Apache effort) HotWax Media has helped with creating a new logo for OFBiz. This will be the basis for other marketing collateral such as cards, one-sheets, and even a new ofbiz.org web site.
>
> We were planning on taking a bit more time for this, but we need a high-res logo file for the OSCON booth, and so HotWax pushed this along to get it done by the OSCON deadline, which is tomorrow!
>
> We would like feedback from everyone involved in OFBiz, and especially from those who have contributed to OFBiz and/or run a business on it.
>
> Due to the "expedited" time frame, we only have until tomorrow morning to get feedback, and then we'll be deciding on one (unless there are major objections). So please respond to this by 9:00 AM MDT (GMT-7:00) tomorrow (Wednesday) morning! That gives us a bit under 24 hours to review this.
>
> Again, sorry for the hurried time frame, but if we can get the new logo done (and all of these look pretty good) then we'll have this new logo for the OSCON show to help launch this new image of OFBiz.
>
> You can see the proposed logos here:
>
> http://client.hotwaxmedia.com/ofbiz/
>
> Please note that each of the 4 logo sets has a large logo and a couple of smaller logos that can be used for different purposes (like letterhead/etc logos, versus a powered by and other such things that need a smaller logo).
>
> Because of the time frame we won't be probably won't be doing a formal vote among the larger group, but please vote informally (at the top of your reply to this) of which one you like best. Each of the logo sets has a name, so use that in your "vote".
>
> Thanks for your help with this, and a special thanks to HotWax Media for their help with this.

Re: Dev - New OFBiz Logo!

davidnwelton
> Appreciate the deadline just a shame we didn't get more time to open it
> up as a project the designers out there could have a go at. Maybe that
> can be done for the website?

Perhaps we can have another go at it when OFBiz becomes an official
Apache project (fingers crossed, but things are going well so far!),
and the project management may want to consider incorporating 'Apache'
into the name and or logo in some way.  Up to them to decide, though.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - New OFBiz Logo!

Scott Gray
Hi

1. Bogdan's first one
2. Slanted-O
3. Hybrid (although the circle reminds me of a record player/turntable)

Regards
Scott

David E. Jones wrote:

> As part of a larger plan to spruce up the public image of OFBiz (especially preparing for OSCON and other conferences coming up, and for the Apache effort) HotWax Media has helped with creating a new logo for OFBiz. This will be the basis for other marketing collateral such as cards, one-sheets, and even a new ofbiz.org web site.
>
> We were planning on taking a bit more time for this, but we need a high-res logo file for the OSCON booth, and so HotWax pushed this along to get it done by the OSCON deadline, which is tomorrow!
>
> We would like feedback from everyone involved in OFBiz, and especially from those who have contributed to OFBiz and/or run a business on it.
>
> Due to the "expedited" time frame, we only have until tomorrow morning to get feedback, and then we'll be deciding on one (unless there are major objections). So please respond to this by 9:00 AM MDT (GMT-7:00) tomorrow (Wednesday) morning! That gives us a bit under 24 hours to review this.
>
> Again, sorry for the hurried time frame, but if we can get the new logo done (and all of these look pretty good) then we'll have this new logo for the OSCON show to help launch this new image of OFBiz.
>
> You can see the proposed logos here:
>
> http://client.hotwaxmedia.com/ofbiz/
>
> Please note that each of the 4 logo sets has a large logo and a couple of smaller logos that can be used for different purposes (like letterhead/etc logos, versus a powered by and other such things that need a smaller logo).
>
> Because of the time frame we won't be probably won't be doing a formal vote among the larger group, but please vote informally (at the top of your reply to this) of which one you like best. Each of the logo sets has a name, so use that in your "vote".
>
> Thanks for your help with this, and a special thanks to HotWax Media for their help with this.

Re: Dev - New OFBiz Logo!

Andrew Sykes
Ok,

The verdict from our design guy is, he "prefers the old one".

Hybrid is the least unpopular.

It's definitely good to see an effort in this direction though.

- Andrew

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 21:58 +1200, Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi
>
> 1. Bogdan's first one
> 2. Slanted-O
> 3. Hybrid (although the circle reminds me of a record player/turntable)
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> David E. Jones wrote:
> > As part of a larger plan to spruce up the public image of OFBiz (especially preparing for OSCON and other conferences coming up, and for the Apache effort) HotWax Media has helped with creating a new logo for OFBiz. This will be the basis for other marketing collateral such as cards, one-sheets, and even a new ofbiz.org web site.
> >
> > We were planning on taking a bit more time for this, but we need a high-res logo file for the OSCON booth, and so HotWax pushed this along to get it done by the OSCON deadline, which is tomorrow!
> >
> > We would like feedback from everyone involved in OFBiz, and especially from those who have contributed to OFBiz and/or run a business on it.
> >
> > Due to the "expedited" time frame, we only have until tomorrow morning to get feedback, and then we'll be deciding on one (unless there are major objections). So please respond to this by 9:00 AM MDT (GMT-7:00) tomorrow (Wednesday) morning! That gives us a bit under 24 hours to review this.
> >
> > Again, sorry for the hurried time frame, but if we can get the new logo done (and all of these look pretty good) then we'll have this new logo for the OSCON show to help launch this new image of OFBiz.
> >
> > You can see the proposed logos here:
> >
> > http://client.hotwaxmedia.com/ofbiz/
> >
> > Please note that each of the 4 logo sets has a large logo and a couple of smaller logos that can be used for different purposes (like letterhead/etc logos, versus a powered by and other such things that need a smaller logo).
> >
> > Because of the time frame we won't be probably won't be doing a formal vote among the larger group, but please vote informally (at the top of your reply to this) of which one you like best. Each of the logo sets has a name, so use that in your "vote".
> >
> > Thanks for your help with this, and a special thanks to HotWax Media for their help with this.
> >
> > -David

Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Dev - New OFBiz Logo!

Bogdan Susala
Hi all

Ok. If the final decision for the event was made, let me know if I can
further create some identity proposals, for community approval, and if
yes, please provide a deadline for that.

As a designer opinion, our logo should clearly enter a new era, and,
separately, same for the website design. I can be involved in this with
all our resources. Just say "go".

Regards,
Bogdan Susala

Re: Dev - New OFBiz Logo!

Tim Ruppert
Bogdan, we couldn't be more in tune on this as well.  After the final
logo decision has been made - we are going to start putting our creative
resources towards helping out with a new site design.

We're looking forward to working with everyone in the community and
figuring out the process by which we can all help this amazing project
continue onward and upward.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Bogdan Susala wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Ok. If the final decision for the event was made, let me know if I can
> further create some identity proposals, for community approval, and if
> yes, please provide a deadline for that.
>
> As a designer opinion, our logo should clearly enter a new era, and,
> separately, same for the website design. I can be involved in this with
> all our resources. Just say "go".
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan Susala

Re: Dev - New Web Site (was: New OFBiz Logo!)

David E. Jones

We might as well start discussing a new web site. So far it's pretty much the effort of an army of one, and that one would really like some help... especially now that we want to do more public marketing significantly more expertise and experience is needed! (as is demonstrated by the current site...)

I may be wrong about this, but it seems the first order of business is:

1. design the flow of the site

There has been some discussion about creating separate areas oriented to existing users and prospective users, and in each of those to technical and business oriented folks.

The site design can be simplified and some things removed. While I still want to have information resources links, most of the docs are going to the docs.ofbiz.org site (and the eventual ASF equivalent if there ever is an official ASF Confluence server).

So, I guess the first thing to discuss would be things along these lines:

- list of pages to go on the site, with short description of each
- header content, links for the header
- footer content, links for the footer
- any side bars? if so links, etc to go there

Perhaps we should get an open page going on the docs.ofbiz.org wiki?

-David

Tim Ruppert wrote:

> Bogdan, we couldn't be more in tune on this as well.  After the final
> logo decision has been made - we are going to start putting our creative
> resources towards helping out with a new site design.
>
> We're looking forward to working with everyone in the community and
> figuring out the process by which we can all help this amazing project
> continue onward and upward.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
>
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6595
>
> Bogdan Susala wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Ok. If the final decision for the event was made, let me know if I can
>> further create some identity proposals, for community approval, and if
>> yes, please provide a deadline for that.
>>
>> As a designer opinion, our logo should clearly enter a new era, and,
>> separately, same for the website design. I can be involved in this with
>> all our resources. Just say "go".
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bogdan Susala
>> [hidden email]

Re: Dev - New Web Site (was: New OFBiz Logo!)

Bogdan Susala
David: agree with you, I think a Wiki-page is better, productivity-wise.

Tim & others: Ok, let's start. During this summer I can be heavily
involved in this project. What I & my team can provide to the project:
- creative work
- graphics design
- template layout production for any media
- slogan / copy creation & advisory [BTW, Vinay broke the ice with a
good saying: "visionary technology tools for global businesses" !]
- the webdesign development itself

On a separate track, it would be interesting enough to develop the new
website with some "static" Ajax work. I mean, not necessarily a true
Ajax framework (though I strongly believe that the border between
application <> webapplication <> website is now clearly obsolete, given
the array of synergic technologies available). This could be a good
start for us into diving in the Ajax world, to better understand & share
the know-how with the Ajax Group inside OfBiz.

Re: organising things
1. David could oversee the restructuring the information of the site.
Since the site I think is pretty old, we may revamp the structure by
dumping the unnecessary information, grouping the items etc.,
usability-wise. My first impression of the site was that is very
technical, very "engineer". No life in it.
My first to-do in this respect would be simplifying the "very" long left
menu. By contrast, the sister project run by Si Chen is more usable,
more clean, better to understand by anyone. Especially, the central
modules-matrix, yet very simple, is making thousands words (just an
example).

2. We could elect Tim as a "Graphic Identity Coordinator". But since I
am new to OfBiz community, I may not know exactly the rules. Anyways, as
somewhere heard - "Don't speak up a good idea if you are not ready to
take responsibility for it", I am eager to take any responsibility given
from you, older members of the community. As mentioned earlier, just say.

Regards,
Bogdan Susala

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - New Web Site

Ean Schuessler
David E. Jones wrote:

> We might as well start discussing a new web site. So far it's pretty much the effort of an army of one, and that one would really like some help... especially now that we want to do more public marketing significantly more expertise and experience is needed! (as is demonstrated by the current site...)
>
> I may be wrong about this, but it seems the first order of business is:
>
> 1. design the flow of the site
>
> There has been some discussion about creating separate areas oriented to existing users and prospective users, and in each of those to technical and business oriented folks.
>
> The site design can be simplified and some things removed. While I still want to have information resources links, most of the docs are going to the docs.ofbiz.org site (and the eventual ASF equivalent if there ever is an official ASF Confluence server).
>
> So, I guess the first thing to discuss would be things along these lines:
>
> - list of pages to go on the site, with short description of each
> - header content, links for the header
> - footer content, links for the footer
> - any side bars? if so links, etc to go there
>
> Perhaps we should get an open page going on the docs.ofbiz.org wiki?

Did this happen? You can count Brainfood in on the action.

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - New Web Site

Tim Ruppert
Ean, I think that this is really starting to get some momentum.  David
has a new page up on the Wiki to facilitate all of the designers getting
together to update the look and feel.

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz.org+New+Site+Plan

I'm going to start digging into the organizational aspects so that we
can have a better idea of how much info we'll be trying to cram into
each page.

Cheers,
Tim