Dev - Not used java services in the ContactMechServices.java class

Dev - Not used java services in the ContactMechServices.java class

Jacopo Cappellato
I've noticed that, in the ContactMechServices.java class, there are some
no more used methods:

updateContactMech
updatePostalAddress
updateTelecomNumber

are three of them (but there could be more).

The three services I've mentioned above, are now implemented as minilang
services in the ContactMechServices.xml file.

What is the reason of this? Should we remove these services?

Re: Dev - Not used java services in the ContactMechServices.java class

Adrian Crum
Removing those java services would break a lot of our code. We use them a lot.

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> I've noticed that, in the ContactMechServices.java class, there are some
> no more used methods:
>
> updateContactMech
> updatePostalAddress
> updateTelecomNumber
>
> are three of them (but there could be more).
>
> The three services I've mentioned above, are now implemented as minilang
> services in the ContactMechServices.xml file.
>
> What is the reason of this? Should we remove these services?
>
> Jacopo

Re: Dev - Not used java services in the ContactMechServices.java class

David E. Jones

Adrian,

How do you use those as services? Do you mean that you change the service definitions to use these methods instead of what comes out of the box?

I'd be a bit surprised if these even worked any more as they haven't been maintained for a while if they aren't being used...

-David

Adrian Crum wrote:

> Removing those java services would break a lot of our code. We use them a lot.
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> I've noticed that, in the ContactMechServices.java class, there are some
>> no more used methods:
>>
>> updateContactMech
>> updatePostalAddress
>> updateTelecomNumber
>>
>> are three of them (but there could be more).
>>
>> The three services I've mentioned above, are now implemented as minilang
>> services in the ContactMechServices.xml file.
>>
>> What is the reason of this? Should we remove these services?
>>
>> Jacopo

Re: Dev - Not used java services in the ContactMechServices.java class

Adrian Crum
One of the first things we tackled was providing a simpler way to deal with a
company entity in a more atomic way. We created a company service that treats
the company name, primary address, primary phone number, etc as a single entity.
The company service we created simply calls the OFBiz party and contactMech java
services to retrieve/create/modify the data.

David E Jones wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> How do you use those as services? Do you mean that you change the service definitions to use these methods instead of what comes out of the box?
>
> I'd be a bit surprised if these even worked any more as they haven't been maintained for a while if they aren't being used...
>
> -David
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>>Removing those java services would break a lot of our code. We use them a lot.
>>

>>Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>
>>>I've noticed that, in the ContactMechServices.java class, there are some
>>>no more used methods:
>>>
>>>updateContactMech
>>>updatePostalAddress
>>>updateTelecomNumber
>>>
>>>are three of them (but there could be more).
>>>
>>>The three services I've mentioned above, are now implemented as minilang
>>>services in the ContactMechServices.xml file.
>>>
>>>What is the reason of this? Should we remove these services?
>>>
>>>Jacopo

Re: Dev - Not used java services in the ContactMechServices.java class

David E. Jones

You mean it doesn't go through the service engine to call these "services"? It just calls the Java methods directly?

-David

Adrian Crum wrote:

> One of the first things we tackled was providing a simpler way to deal with a
> company entity in a more atomic way. We created a company service that treats
> the company name, primary address, primary phone number, etc as a single entity.
> The company service we created simply calls the OFBiz party and contactMech java
> services to retrieve/create/modify the data.
>

> David E Jones wrote:
>
>> Adrian,
>>
>> How do you use those as services? Do you mean that you change the service definitions to use these methods instead of what comes out of the box?
>>
>> I'd be a bit surprised if these even worked any more as they haven't been maintained for a while if they aren't being used...
>>
>> -David
>>

>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> Removing those java services would break a lot of our code. We use them a lot.

Re: Dev - Not used java services in the ContactMechServices.java class

Adrian Crum
Yes, and I know that's not recommended, but...   *shrug*

I guess it was the easiest way to get it working.

David E Jones wrote:

> You mean it doesn't go through the service engine to call these "services"? It just calls the Java methods directly?
>
> -David
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>>One of the first things we tackled was providing a simpler way to deal with a
>>company entity in a more atomic way. We created a company service that treats
>>the company name, primary address, primary phone number, etc as a single entity.
>>The company service we created simply calls the OFBiz party and contactMech java
>>services to retrieve/create/modify the data.
>>

>>David E Jones wrote:
>>

>>>Adrian,
>>>
>>>How do you use those as services? Do you mean that you change the service definitions to use these methods instead of what comes out of the box?
>>>
>>>I'd be a bit surprised if these even worked any more as they haven't been maintained for a while if they aren't being used...
>>>
>>>-David

Re: Dev - Not used java services in the ContactMechServices.java class

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Adrian,

apart from this... since these methods are not really maintained,
wouldn't be better to keep them in your private repository and remove
them from the OFBIz one?

Jacopo

Adrian Crum wrote:

> Yes, and I know that's not recommended, but...   *shrug*
>
> I guess it was the easiest way to get it working.
>

> David E Jones wrote:
>
>> You mean it doesn't go through the service engine to call these "services"? It just calls the Java methods directly?
>>
>> -David
>>

>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> One of the first things we tackled was providing a simpler way to deal with a
>>> company entity in a more atomic way. We created a company service that treats
>>> the company name, primary address, primary phone number, etc as a single entity.
>>> The company service we created simply calls the OFBiz party and contactMech java
>>> services to retrieve/create/modify the data.

Re: Dev - Not used java services in the ContactMechServices.java class

Adrian Crum
Sure. I'll refactor our code to use the service engine.