Dev - [OFBiz] subprojects <Bump> Attn: David Welton

Dev - [OFBiz] subprojects <Bump> Attn: David Welton

cjhowe
This may have been overlooked because of the end of
the month...

David Welton,

Would iCLAs be necessary if the subproject hosted on
sf.net used the Apache 2.0 license?

--- David Welton <davidnwelton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/26/06, Chris Howe <cjhowe76013 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > sourceforge.net just completed their svn beta and
> are
> > now offering svn repository for projects that they
> > host.  Would it be better for
> specialized/incomplete
> > applications to create their own project there
> until
> > they reach a level of maturity that the Ofbiz
> project
> > desires?  At that point, the OFBiz team could ask
> that
> > it be merged into the Apache OFBiz project.
>
> If they went that route, and wanted to aim for
> re-integration, they'd
> have to make sure that they keep a tight rein on
> licensing.  It's
> likely they'd have to do iCLA's for new people
> they'd picked up.  To
> become a subproject they'd also likely have to go
> through the whole
> incubation thing, although it would be simpler at
> that point because
> (if all goes well:-) OFBiz will be an established
> part of the ASF at
> that time.
>
> --
> David N. Welton
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
> Linux, Open Source Consulting
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - [OFBiz] subprojects <Bump> Attn: David Welton

David E. Jones

I believe the answer is yes, a CLA is still required. The CLA is a
specific license grant to the ASF and not something more generic. In
other words, a project can use the Apache 2.0 license but with their
own copyright and such. This doesn't mean the ASF owns the code or
has a license grant, so I think it has to be explicitly granted.

I'm not totally sure about this, but as I understand it this is how
things work. We have started adding Apache 2.0 headers with the
copyright assigned to the ASF, but we can only really do this because
we are already in the incubator.

-David

On Mar 3, 2006, at 11:29 PM, Chris Howe wrote:

> This may have been overlooked because of the end of
> the month...
>
> David Welton,
>
> Would iCLAs be necessary if the subproject hosted on
> sf.net used the Apache 2.0 license?
>
> --- David Welton <davidnwelton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/26/06, Chris Howe <cjhowe76013 at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>> sourceforge.net just completed their svn beta and
>> are
>>> now offering svn repository for projects that they
>>> host.  Would it be better for
>> specialized/incomplete
>>> applications to create their own project there
>> until
>>> they reach a level of maturity that the Ofbiz
>> project
>>> desires?  At that point, the OFBiz team could ask
>> that
>>> it be merged into the Apache OFBiz project.
>>
>> If they went that route, and wanted to aim for
>> re-integration, they'd
>> have to make sure that they keep a tight rein on
>> licensing.  It's
>> likely they'd have to do iCLA's for new people
>> they'd picked up.  To
>> become a subproject they'd also likely have to go
>> through the whole
>> incubation thing, although it would be simpler at
>> that point because
>> (if all goes well:-) OFBiz will be an established
>> part of the ASF at
>> that time.
>>
>> --
>> David N. Welton
>>  - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>>
>> Linux, Open Source Consulting
>>  - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - [OFBiz] subprojects <Bump> Attn: David Welton

cjhowe
So then, what license should a derivative work be
under so that there isn't an issue with it being added
to the OFBiz project (or any project) but still make
it so that someone cannot copyright the derivative
work and lockout the true author?

--- "David E. Jones" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe the answer is yes, a CLA is still
> required. The CLA is a
> specific license grant to the ASF and not something
> more generic. In
> other words, a project can use the Apache 2.0
> license but with their
> own copyright and such. This doesn't mean the ASF
> owns the code or
> has a license grant, so I think it has to be
> explicitly granted.
>
> I'm not totally sure about this, but as I understand
> it this is how
> things work. We have started adding Apache 2.0
> headers with the
> copyright assigned to the ASF, but we can only
> really do this because
> we are already in the incubator.
>
> -David
>

> On Mar 3, 2006, at 11:29 PM, Chris Howe wrote:
>
> > This may have been overlooked because of the end
> of
> > the month...
> >
> > David Welton,
> >
> > Would iCLAs be necessary if the subproject hosted
> on
> > sf.net used the Apache 2.0 license?
> >
> > --- David Welton <davidnwelton at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> and
> >> are
> they
> >> specialized/incomplete
> >> until
> >> project
> ask
> >> that
> >>
> >> If they went that route, and wanted to aim for
> >> re-integration, they'd
> >> have to make sure that they keep a tight rein on
> >> licensing.  It's
> >> likely they'd have to do iCLA's for new people
> >> they'd picked up.  To
> >> become a subproject they'd also likely have to go
> >> through the whole
> >> incubation thing, although it would be simpler at
> >> that point because
> >> (if all goes well:-) OFBiz will be an established
> >> part of the ASF at
> >> that time.
> >>
> >> --
> >> David N. Welton
> >>  - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
> >>
> >> Linux, Open Source Consulting
> >>  - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - [OFBiz] subprojects <Bump> Attn: David Welton

David E. Jones

This would be a good question for the Apache incubator general list.
I'm not sure if there is any way to do this and avoid the initial
trickiness with licensing. If everyone is already an ASF contributor
(ie has a CLA on file) it is easier. It is also easier if a single
entity owns the entire copyright, and then a single license grant can
be used (instead of a bunch of CLAs).

But I don't know, being Apache 2.0 licensed may help make this a lot
easier... Certain licenses are more compatible with the Apache
license and code under those licenses can be distributed with ASF
projects, so as a worst case scenario that can always be done... We
may have to do some of this with OFBiz, but we're still a ways off
from knowing for sure with various parts and people.

-David