Dev - Research Results for Geronimo Connection Pool

Dev - Research Results for Geronimo Connection Pool

David E. Jones

I've spent a bit of time over the last few days researching how we might used the connection pool in Geronimo. Based on this I'm not sure if using the Geronimo connection pool will be possible in an "embedded" mode.

Some notes about this part of Geronimo:

1. it does not have a JDBC connection pool; instead it uses TransQL as a JCA Resource Adapter wrapper for a JDBC DataSource and then used the Geronimo JCA connection pool to pool these connections; TransQL has specific wrappers for certain databases, and some generic stuff for others if you don't need distributed transactions, or you can write a wrapper/adapter for the database you want to use

2. it does not seem to have any XADataSource wrapper for JDBC drivers that only have a non-transaction DataSource implemented, so JDBC drivers without an XADataSource implemented cannot be used in distributed transactions

3. the Geronimo managed pool classes are very oriented to the XML configuration file used in Geronimo, and they don't seem to have API equivalents to use it in an embedded mode like we want to

It looks like Jencks actually uses XAPool for their XA wrapper for non-XA JDBC drivers, and uses a combination of XAPool and TransQL for their JCA compatible XA-aware connection pool. XAPool is LGPL licensed, so that won't really do us much good...

I don't know of any other XA wrapper and XA-aware connection pool projects like XAPool and Minerva.

So... I'm thinking the best option is to just keep the Minerva source on the current SVN server and just put a built jar in the Apache SVN repository. So, I propose we use Geronimo/Jencks for transaction management, and Minerva for the connection pool.

So far there haven't been any complaints I know of for those beta testing the Geronimo JTA stuff, so I'm also proposing we switch this to be the default from SVN.

Re: Dev - Research Results for Geronimo Connection Pool

Jacopo Cappellato
David,

thanks for your excellent work and research.
I think Geronimo/Jencks TM + Minerva connection pool is just fine for
now; (+1 for the switch to them).

Just one question: what is the license of Minerva?

Jacopo

David E Jones wrote:

> I've spent a bit of time over the last few days researching how we might used the connection pool in Geronimo. Based on this I'm not sure if using the Geronimo connection pool will be possible in an "embedded" mode.
>

> Some notes about this part of Geronimo:
>
> 1. it does not have a JDBC connection pool; instead it uses TransQL as a JCA Resource Adapter wrapper for a JDBC DataSource and then used the Geronimo JCA connection pool to pool these connections; TransQL has specific wrappers for certain databases, and some generic stuff for others if you don't need distributed transactions, or you can write a wrapper/adapter for the database you want to use
>
> 2. it does not seem to have any XADataSource wrapper for JDBC drivers that only have a non-transaction DataSource implemented, so JDBC drivers without an XADataSource implemented cannot be used in distributed transactions
>
> 3. the Geronimo managed pool classes are very oriented to the XML configuration file used in Geronimo, and they don't seem to have API equivalents to use it in an embedded mode like we want to
>
> It looks like Jencks actually uses XAPool for their XA wrapper for non-XA JDBC drivers, and uses a combination of XAPool and TransQL for their JCA compatible XA-aware connection pool. XAPool is LGPL licensed, so that won't really do us much good...
>
> I don't know of any other XA wrapper and XA-aware connection pool projects like XAPool and Minerva.
>
> So... I'm thinking the best option is to just keep the Minerva source on the current SVN server and just put a built jar in the Apache SVN repository. So, I propose we use Geronimo/Jencks for transaction management, and Minerva for the connection pool.
>
> So far there haven't been any complaints I know of for those beta testing the Geronimo JTA stuff, so I'm also proposing we switch this to be the default from SVN.

Re: Dev - Research Results for Geronimo Connection Pool

David E. Jones

It uses the X license, which is very similar to the MIT license (almost the same).

-David

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> David,
>
> thanks for your excellent work and research.
> I think Geronimo/Jencks TM + Minerva connection pool is just fine for
> now; (+1 for the switch to them).
>
> Just one question: what is the license of Minerva?
>
> Jacopo
>

> David E Jones wrote:
>> I've spent a bit of time over the last few days researching how we might used the connection pool in Geronimo. Based on this I'm not sure if using the Geronimo connection pool will be possible in an "embedded" mode.
>>

>> Some notes about this part of Geronimo:
>>
>> 1. it does not have a JDBC connection pool; instead it uses TransQL as a JCA Resource Adapter wrapper for a JDBC DataSource and then used the Geronimo JCA connection pool to pool these connections; TransQL has specific wrappers for certain databases, and some generic stuff for others if you don't need distributed transactions, or you can write a wrapper/adapter for the database you want to use
>>
>> 2. it does not seem to have any XADataSource wrapper for JDBC drivers that only have a non-transaction DataSource implemented, so JDBC drivers without an XADataSource implemented cannot be used in distributed transactions
>>
>> 3. the Geronimo managed pool classes are very oriented to the XML configuration file used in Geronimo, and they don't seem to have API equivalents to use it in an embedded mode like we want to
>>
>> It looks like Jencks actually uses XAPool for their XA wrapper for non-XA JDBC drivers, and uses a combination of XAPool and TransQL for their JCA compatible XA-aware connection pool. XAPool is LGPL licensed, so that won't really do us much good...
>>
>> I don't know of any other XA wrapper and XA-aware connection pool projects like XAPool and Minerva.
>>
>> So... I'm thinking the best option is to just keep the Minerva source on the current SVN server and just put a built jar in the Apache SVN repository. So, I propose we use Geronimo/Jencks for transaction management, and Minerva for the connection pool.
>>
>> So far there haven't been any complaints I know of for those beta testing the Geronimo JTA stuff, so I'm also proposing we switch this to be the default from SVN.
>>
>> -David

Re: Dev - Research Results for Geronimo Connection Pool

I made some research and found that Minerva is part of JBos project.
http://fisheye.jboss.com/viewrep/~raw,r=1.1/JBoss/jboss-site/website/src/docs/minerva/overview-summary.html#intro
So It seems that it's GPL or LGPL licenced.
http://www.jboss.com/company/licensing

+1 for the switch too

Jacques

> David,
>
> thanks for your excellent work and research.
> I think Geronimo/Jencks TM + Minerva connection pool is just fine for
> now; (+1 for the switch to them).
>
> Just one question: what is the license of Minerva?
>
> Jacopo
>

> David E Jones wrote:
> > I've spent a bit of time over the last few days researching how we might
used the connection pool in Geronimo. Based on this I'm not sure if using the
Geronimo connection pool will be possible in an "embedded" mode.

> > Some notes about this part of Geronimo:
> >
> > 1. it does not have a JDBC connection pool; instead it uses TransQL as a JCA
Resource Adapter wrapper for a JDBC DataSource and then used the Geronimo JCA
connection pool to pool these connections; TransQL has specific wrappers for
certain databases, and some generic stuff for others if you don't need
distributed transactions, or you can write a wrapper/adapter for the database
you want to use

> > 2. it does not seem to have any XADataSource wrapper for JDBC drivers that
only have a non-transaction DataSource implemented, so JDBC drivers without an
XADataSource implemented cannot be used in distributed transactions

> > 3. the Geronimo managed pool classes are very oriented to the XML
configuration file used in Geronimo, and they don't seem to have API equivalents
to use it in an embedded mode like we want to

> > It looks like Jencks actually uses XAPool for their XA wrapper for non-XA
JDBC drivers, and uses a combination of XAPool and TransQL for their JCA
compatible XA-aware connection pool. XAPool is LGPL licensed, so that won't
really do us much good...

> > I don't know of any other XA wrapper and XA-aware connection pool projects
like XAPool and Minerva.

> > So... I'm thinking the best option is to just keep the Minerva source on the
current SVN server and just put a built jar in the Apache SVN repository. So, I
propose we use Geronimo/Jencks for transaction management, and Minerva for the
connection pool.

> > So far there haven't been any complaints I know of for those beta testing
the Geronimo JTA stuff, so I'm also proposing we switch this to be the default
from SVN.

> > -David

Re: Dev - Research Results for Geronimo Connection Pool

Ok,

that's great!

David E. Jones wrote:

> It uses the X license, which is very similar to the MIT license (almost the same).
>
> -David
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> thanks for your excellent work and research.
>> I think Geronimo/Jencks TM + Minerva connection pool is just fine for
>> now; (+1 for the switch to them).
>>
>> Just one question: what is the license of Minerva?
>>
>> Jacopo
>>

>> David E Jones wrote:
>>> I've spent a bit of time over the last few days researching how we might used the connection pool in Geronimo. Based on this I'm not sure if using the Geronimo connection pool will be possible in an "embedded" mode.
>>>

>>> Some notes about this part of Geronimo:
>>>
>>> 1. it does not have a JDBC connection pool; instead it uses TransQL as a JCA Resource Adapter wrapper for a JDBC DataSource and then used the Geronimo JCA connection pool to pool these connections; TransQL has specific wrappers for certain databases, and some generic stuff for others if you don't need distributed transactions, or you can write a wrapper/adapter for the database you want to use
>>>
>>> 2. it does not seem to have any XADataSource wrapper for JDBC drivers that only have a non-transaction DataSource implemented, so JDBC drivers without an XADataSource implemented cannot be used in distributed transactions
>>>
>>> 3. the Geronimo managed pool classes are very oriented to the XML configuration file used in Geronimo, and they don't seem to have API equivalents to use it in an embedded mode like we want to
>>>
>>> It looks like Jencks actually uses XAPool for their XA wrapper for non-XA JDBC drivers, and uses a combination of XAPool and TransQL for their JCA compatible XA-aware connection pool. XAPool is LGPL licensed, so that won't really do us much good...
>>>
>>> I don't know of any other XA wrapper and XA-aware connection pool projects like XAPool and Minerva.
>>>
>>> So... I'm thinking the best option is to just keep the Minerva source on the current SVN server and just put a built jar in the Apache SVN repository. So, I propose we use Geronimo/Jencks for transaction management, and Minerva for the connection pool.
>>>
>>> So far there haven't been any complaints I know of for those beta testing the Geronimo JTA stuff, so I'm also proposing we switch this to be the default from SVN.
>>>
>>> -David

Re: Dev - Research Results for Geronimo Connection Pool

Sorry for my message (about Minerva licence), was not sure...

Jacques

> It uses the X license, which is very similar to the MIT license (almost the
same).

> -David
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > thanks for your excellent work and research.
> > I think Geronimo/Jencks TM + Minerva connection pool is just fine for
> > now; (+1 for the switch to them).
> >
> > Just one question: what is the license of Minerva?
> >
> > Jacopo
> >

> > David E Jones wrote:
> >> I've spent a bit of time over the last few days researching how we might
used the connection pool in Geronimo. Based on this I'm not sure if using the
Geronimo connection pool will be possible in an "embedded" mode.

> >> Some notes about this part of Geronimo:
> >>
> >> 1. it does not have a JDBC connection pool; instead it uses TransQL as a
JCA Resource Adapter wrapper for a JDBC DataSource and then used the Geronimo
JCA connection pool to pool these connections; TransQL has specific wrappers for
certain databases, and some generic stuff for others if you don't need
distributed transactions, or you can write a wrapper/adapter for the database
you want to use

> >> 2. it does not seem to have any XADataSource wrapper for JDBC drivers that
only have a non-transaction DataSource implemented, so JDBC drivers without an
XADataSource implemented cannot be used in distributed transactions

> >> 3. the Geronimo managed pool classes are very oriented to the XML
configuration file used in Geronimo, and they don't seem to have API equivalents
to use it in an embedded mode like we want to

> >> It looks like Jencks actually uses XAPool for their XA wrapper for non-XA
JDBC drivers, and uses a combination of XAPool and TransQL for their JCA
compatible XA-aware connection pool. XAPool is LGPL licensed, so that won't
really do us much good...

> >> I don't know of any other XA wrapper and XA-aware connection pool projects
like XAPool and Minerva.

> >> So... I'm thinking the best option is to just keep the Minerva source on
the current SVN server and just put a built jar in the Apache SVN repository.
So, I propose we use Geronimo/Jencks for transaction management, and Minerva for
the connection pool.

> >> So far there haven't been any complaints I know of for those beta testing
the Geronimo JTA stuff, so I'm also proposing we switch this to be the default
from SVN.

> >> -David

Re: Dev - Research Results for Geronimo Connection Pool

It's true that Minerva was a part of JBoss way back when (like a few years ago...), but they were using it much like we are (except I think they had some of the developers of it working on JBoss as well, not totally sure about that though). Later on they re-wrote it and made the transaction manager a more integral part of the app server. So, yes the newer stuff we couldn't use because of the licensing.

-David