Dev - Shark licensing

Jacques Bergeron-2

Hi,

I read in this list that the Shark workflow manager is not completely operational in Ofbiz. The Shark license seems to be LGPL. I understand that you are working towards an Apache license. Does this create a problem?

We would like to be sure that Shark is your long term choice before taking a closer look.

Re: Dev - Shark licensing

David E. Jones

Jacques,

A pretty complete overview with details is available here:

http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=LibrariesIncludedInOFBiz

The implications are that we do plan to continue using Shark but because it is LGPL we can't include the libraries so it won't "run" out of the box. Small changes will have to be made as described in the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES file.

-David

Jacques Bergeron wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I read in this list that the Shark workflow manager is not completely
> operational in Ofbiz. The Shark license seems to be LGPL. I understand
> that you are working towards an Apache license. Does this create a problem?
>

> We would like to be sure that Shark is your long term choice before
> taking a closer look.
>

> Regards,

Re: Dev - Shark licensing

Jacques Bergeron-2
David,

Thanks again for the quick response.

Just to be sure I get it right...

We can use a LGPL library but cannot include it in the OFBiz distribution.
So, instructions will have to be added in a "readme" type of documentation
file to tell the user where to get the jar files, where to put it in OFBiz
and what modifications to do to the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES file.

Does that "readme" file actually exist or do we have to know where to go in
the OGBiz's wiki.

Apart from that "technical" problem, I understand that Shark is still in
your mid to long term plans.

Jacques Bergeron wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I read in this list that the Shark workflow manager is not completely
> operational in Ofbiz. The Shark license seems to be LGPL. I understand
> that you are working towards an Apache license. Does this create a
problem?

> We would like to be sure that Shark is your long term choice before
> taking a closer look.
>

> Regards,

Re: Dev - Shark licensing

Jacques Bergeron wrote:

> David,
>
> Thanks again for the quick response.
>
> Just to be sure I get it right...
>
> We can use a LGPL library but cannot include it in the OFBiz distribution.
> So, instructions will have to be added in a "readme" type of documentation
> file to tell the user where to get the jar files, where to put it in OFBiz
> and what modifications to do to the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES file.

Actually the OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES file _is_ that "readme" file. It describes the libraries needed, where to get them, where to put them, and what to change in OFBiz to build and run with them.

> Does that "readme" file actually exist or do we have to know where to go in
> the OGBiz's wiki.
>
> Apart from that "technical" problem, I understand that Shark is still in
> your mid to long term plans.

As with anything in a community driven project when and how this is developed will depend on those who want it and have the resources to invest in it. There has been enough interest, and a little bit of sponsorship, in the past to get it to where it is, but I'm not aware of any current or upcoming efforts on it that are firm. A number of people have expressed interest in it over time, so I'm sure you'd get some review responses from proposals and possibly even some help... ;)

-David