Dev - Third Party Payment

cjhowe
What do y'all think is the best method for a third party payment (ie insurance company paying).

It feels like I'm missing something doing it the following way

1)  Autocreate customer billing account
2)  Checkout via billing account

<missing how to transfer this receivable from customer to insurance company>

n) post payment from insurance company to customer's billing account
n+1)close invoice

any help would be appreciated.

Re: Dev - Third Party Payment

cjhowe
The payment part is fine.  However, I think that I
need to create some sort of transfer of liability from
the customer to the insurance company for the time
between the order being shipped and the insurance
company paying.  Would you agree?

--- Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about just use the Accounting > Payments and
> create a new payment?
>
> Chris Howe wrote:
> > What do y'all think is the best method for a third
> party payment (ie
> > insurance company paying).
> >
> > It feels like I'm missing something doing it the
> following way
> >
> > 1)  Autocreate customer billing account
> > 2)  Checkout via billing account
> >
> > <missing how to transfer this receivable from
> customer to insurance
> > company>
> >
> > n) post payment from insurance company to
> customer's billing account
> > n+1)close invoice
> >
> > any help would be appreciated.

Re: Dev - Third Party Payment

cjhowe
No.  This is for a healthcare provider where most of the time an insurance company is paying the invoice.  This involves co-pays and deductibles.  The invoice needs to go to the end user, but needs to be billed to 1, 2 or 3 insurance companies.  Also, when the insurance company pays, they're likely paying for items off of more than one invoice; from more than one customer (beneficiary).

Re: Dev - Third Party Payment

Si Chen-2
The question really boils down to whether the invoice is a liability of the customer and sent to the insurance company, or whether the invoice is a liability of the insurance company?

Chris Howe wrote:
No.  This is for a healthcare provider where most of the time an insurance company is paying the invoice.  This involves co-pays and deductibles.  The invoice needs to go to the end user, but needs to be billed to 1, 2 or 3 insurance companies.  Also, when the insurance company pays, they're likely paying for items off of more than one invoice; from more than one customer (beneficiary).

Re: Dev - Third Party Payment

cjhowe
I wish there was a simple answer for that.  At the time when services are rendered, it is the liabilty of the customer.  It becomes the liability of the insurance company after the items or services have been billed to the insurance company AND the insurance company determines that the customer AND the services are eligible for coverage.  Think credit cards before instaneous verification.

For our use, I'm adding an Insurance entity (that will hold all of the nice insurance fields) with a paymentMethodId.  The paymentMethod will have the partyId of the insurance company.  When an order is placed (for the time becing because of the horrible complicated mess involved in setting the price), an entry will be made in the OrderPaymentPreference for each of the following:
1) The customer's BillingAccount
2) Each of the third party payers where the customer is associated with the Insurance entity

Any other precautions or ideas to avoid some pitfalls would be appreciated.