Dev - [VOTE] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz

Dev - [VOTE] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz

Andrew Yager
Hi,

In the interests of acting on everyone's best expressed intentions to
start voting on this issue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Votes close in 72 hours, or at a point after that time when someone
with power to enforce the decision decides they should close :-)

+1

Andrew

_________________________
Andrew Yager
Real World Technology Solutions
Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
http://www.rwts.com.au/

Re: Dev - [VOTE] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz

Jacopo Cappellato
-1

It is a very common practice in the Java world to download separately
the right jdbc for the database in use. However we should add
information about where to put the downloaded jdbc drivers.

Andrew Yager wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the interests of acting on everyone's best expressed intentions to
> start voting on this issue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.
>
> Votes close in 72 hours, or at a point after that time when someone
> with power to enforce the decision decides they should close :-)
>
> +1
>
> Andrew
>
> _________________________
> Andrew Yager
> Real World Technology Solutions
> Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
> ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
> fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
> http://www.rwts.com.au/

Re: Dev - [VOTE] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz

Andrew Zeneski
-1

Since the current driver is NOT different than what is available from
jdbc.postgresql.org and since the driver is not needed to compile and
run OFBiz there is no point in having this under version control.
IMO, the only JDBC/Database which should be included is Derby, unless
we just copy it in for distribution purposes.

Andy

On Jan 29, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> -1
>
> It is a very common practice in the Java world to download separately
> the right jdbc for the database in use. However we should add
> information about where to put the downloaded jdbc drivers.
>
> Andrew Yager wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the interests of acting on everyone's best expressed intentions to
>> start voting on this issue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.
>>
>> Votes close in 72 hours, or at a point after that time when someone
>> with power to enforce the decision decides they should close :-)
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> _________________________
>> Andrew Yager
>> Real World Technology Solutions
>> Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
>> ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
>> fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
>> http://www.rwts.com.au/

Re: Dev - [VOTE] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz

-1

I agree, only Derby driver should be included. With perhaps a very simple
explanation for "why only Derby ?".

>>However we should add
>> information about where to put the downloaded jdbc drivers.

Perhaps also a list for where to download them.
For PostGres here it is : http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html

Jacques (Why and How man ;o)

> Since the current driver is NOT different than what is available from
> jdbc.postgresql.org and since the driver is not needed to compile and
> run OFBiz there is no point in having this under version control.
> IMO, the only JDBC/Database which should be included is Derby, unless
> we just copy it in for distribution purposes.
>
> Andy
>
> On Jan 29, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
> > -1
> >
> > It is a very common practice in the Java world to download separately
> > the right jdbc for the database in use. However we should add
> > information about where to put the downloaded jdbc drivers.
> >
> > Andrew Yager wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> In the interests of acting on everyone's best expressed intentions to
> >> start voting on this issue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.
> >>
> >> Votes close in 72 hours, or at a point after that time when someone
> >> with power to enforce the decision decides they should close :-)
> >>
> >> +1
> >>
> >> Andrew
> >>
> >> _________________________
> >> Andrew Yager
> >> Real World Technology Solutions
> >> Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
> >> ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
> >> fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
> >> http://www.rwts.com.au/

Re: Dev - [VOTE] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz

Ian Gilbert
-1

I think it's better to have these at their originating sites.  Any changes
which affect us will become readily apparent if we are using the 'current'
release and historic releases are usually available for most of the db's
that we use.

Ian

On Sun, January 29, 2006 16:56, A. Zeneski wrote:

> -1
>

> Since the current driver is NOT different than what is available from
> jdbc.postgresql.org and since the driver is not needed to compile and run
> OFBiz there is no point in having this under version control.
> IMO, the only JDBC/Database which should be included is Derby, unless
> we just copy it in for distribution purposes.
>
> Andy
>

> On Jan 29, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>

>> -1
>>

>> It is a very common practice in the Java world to download separately
>> the right jdbc for the database in use. However we should add information
>> about where to put the downloaded jdbc drivers.
>>
>> Andrew Yager wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> In the interests of acting on everyone's best expressed intentions to
>>>  start voting on this issue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.
>>>
>>> Votes close in 72 hours, or at a point after that time when someone
>>> with power to enforce the decision decides they should close :-)
>>>
>>> +1
>>>

>>> Andrew
>>>

>>> _________________________
>>> Andrew Yager
>>> Real World Technology Solutions
>>> Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
>>> ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
>>> fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
>>> http://www.rwts.com.au/

Re: Dev - [VOTE] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz

Brett
I agree that the postgres driver does not need to be included in
source control.  The problem with keeping it in source control is it
gives the false impression that it will work effectively with any
postgres installation.  This may have been true in the past but what
we have discovered recently is that the drivers are very dependent on
the database version.  If you mix jdbc and database versions you
usually won't see a problem until you start to test the driver under
load conditions.  We have seen significant performance and load
problems under such tests.

I would rather we included a postgres_readme.txt file which explained
where to get the driver and where to place it in ofbiz.  Here is a
useful link matching jdbc versions to their appropriate database
version.

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#jdbcselection

Here is my vote:

-1

btw, we saw a tremendous performance improvement moving from postgres
7 to postgres 8.0 using the  8.0-314 JDBC 3 driver.

Brett

On 1/29/06, Andrew Yager <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the interests of acting on everyone's best expressed intentions to
> start voting on this issue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.
>
> Votes close in 72 hours, or at a point after that time when someone
> with power to enforce the decision decides they should close :-)
>
> +1
>
> Andrew
>
> _________________________
> Andrew Yager
> Real World Technology Solutions
> Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
> ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
> fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
> http://www.rwts.com.au/

Re: Dev - [VOTE] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz

Вадим K.
Hello,

      I think there is no reason to keep any of the drivers inside OFBiz tree, except derby.

-- Vadim --

2006/1/30, Brett Palmer <[hidden email]>:
I agree that the postgres driver does not need to be included in
source control.  The problem with keeping it in source control is it
gives the false impression that it will work effectively with any
postgres installation.  This may have been true in the past but what
we have discovered recently is that the drivers are very dependent on
the database version.  If you mix jdbc and database versions you
usually won't see a problem until you start to test the driver under
load conditions.  We have seen significant performance and load
problems under such tests.

I would rather we included a postgres_readme.txt file which explained
where to get the driver and where to place it in ofbiz.  Here is a
useful link matching jdbc versions to their appropriate database
version.

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#jdbcselection

Here is my vote:

-1

btw, we saw a tremendous performance improvement moving from postgres
7 to postgres 8.0 using the  8.0-314 JDBC 3 driver.

Brett

On 1/29/06, Andrew Yager <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the interests of acting on everyone's best expressed intentions to
> start voting on this issue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.
>
> Votes close in 72 hours, or at a point after that time when someone
> with power to enforce the decision decides they should close :-)
>
> +1
>
> Andrew
>
> _________________________
> Andrew Yager
> Real World Technology Solutions
> Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
> ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
> fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
> http://www.rwts.com.au/

/ ** Вадим К. **/

Re: Dev - [VOTE] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz

Ray Barlow
-1

But we should commit a readme doc with comments and urls about common db's.

Ray

Andrew Yager wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In the interests of acting on everyone's best expressed intentions to
>start voting on this issue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.
>
>Votes close in 72 hours, or at a point after that time when someone
>with power to enforce the decision decides they should close :-)
>
>+1
>
>Andrew
>
>_________________________
>Andrew Yager
>Real World Technology Solutions
>Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
>ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
>fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
>http://www.rwts.com.au/

Dev - [VOTE RESULT] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz - NOT PASSED

Jacopo Cappellato
Results of the vote [1] with subject "Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz":

Andrew Yager +1
Jacopo Cappellato -1
Andy Zenesky -1
Jacques Le Roux * -1
Ian Gilbert -1
Brett Palmer * -1
Вадим К. -1
Ray Barlow * -1

The proposal has not passed, however some voters (*) think that a short
document should be added with instructions about how to dowload and add
the drivers to the installation.

Jacopo

[1]:

Andrew Yager wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > In the interests of acting on everyone's best expressed intentions to
 > start voting on this issue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.
 >
 > Votes close in 72 hours, or at a point after that time when someone
 > with power to enforce the decision decides they should close :-)
 >
 > +1
 >
 > Andrew
 >
 > _________________________
 > Andrew Yager
 > Real World Technology Solutions
 > Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
 > ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
 > fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
 > http://www.rwts.com.au/

Re: Dev - [VOTE RESULT] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz - NOT PASSED

BJ Freeman
As for as DB drivers in general, I think they should be in JRE.
and Yes some documentation bout tested versions that work so the JRE is
updated.

For someone that has other projects that use a conflicting driver, this
posses a problem, but should be able to resolved in the java that get
the driver.

Jacopo Cappellato sent the following on 2/4/06 5:40 AM:

> Results of the vote [1] with subject "Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz":
>
> Andrew Yager +1
> Jacopo Cappellato -1
> Andy Zenesky -1
> Jacques Le Roux * -1
> Ian Gilbert -1
> Brett Palmer * -1
> Вадим К. -1
> Ray Barlow * -1
>

> The proposal has not passed, however some voters (*) think that a short
> document should be added with instructions about how to dowload and add
> the drivers to the installation.
>
> Jacopo
>

> [1]:
>
> Andrew Yager wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > In the interests of acting on everyone's best expressed intentions to
>  > start voting on this issue, I thought I'd get the ball rolling.
>  >
>  > Votes close in 72 hours, or at a point after that time when someone
>  > with power to enforce the decision decides they should close :-)
>  >
>  > +1
>  >
>  > Andrew
>  >
>  > _________________________
>  > Andrew Yager
>  > Real World Technology Solutions
>  > Real People, Real SolUtions (tm)
>  > ph: (02) 9563 4840 (office) (02) 9563 4841 (direct)
>  > fax: (02) 9563 4848 mob: 0405 152 568
>  > http://www.rwts.com.au/
>  > _________________________
>  >

Re: Dev - [VOTE RESULT] Keep postgresql jdbc driver in ofbiz - NOT PASSED

David E. Jones

I guess this is a case where a lot of disagreement is possible... Are
the drivers more part of the database, or more part of the
application or language? In a way this is similar to the difference
between the Linux and Windows approaches to drivers (well, more in
the past than currently, they are both moving to the middle on this)
where in Windows most drivers came from the hardware vendors, and in
the Linux world they were mostly in the OS. I think if the creators
of Linux had their preference all of the drivers would come from the
hardware companies, but they didn't have that luxury as not so many
hardware vendors (early on especially) were interested in writing them.

For JDBC drivers, in my opinion, they are more a part of the database
than any application, and I think that sums up the perspective behind
this voting.

-David