Dev - asf stuff

davidnwelton
Hi,

I think it's time to stoke the fire a bit:

*) How are things on the technical front?

*) Is there something we could do in terms of infrastructure?  Mailing
lists, for instance?  It appears as though it may be difficult to do
the archives as well as the lists themselves, but I don't think it
would be that difficult with archives in two places.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - asf stuff

Jacopo Cappellato
1) I think that we could go on with the license change from MIT to the
ASL2 (the list of all the people who contributed is now complete)

2) it's also ok to move all the subscribers of the OFBiz's lists to the
new Apache lists (for the archives we can wait)

3) in my opinion we could also start to create new issues in the new
Jira server (and keep the existing ones in the current Jira server)

4) web site: from a technical perspective I think it is easy to move the
website to Apache, but first we will probably need to clean up a few
things; should we migrate only a portion of the website? or should we
simply redirect the calls to the www.ofbiz.org url?

5) SVN: the big issue here is the license of JOTM and Minerva

Jacopo

David Welton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it's time to stoke the fire a bit:
>
> *) How are things on the technical front?
>
> *) Is there something we could do in terms of infrastructure?  Mailing
> lists, for instance?  It appears as though it may be difficult to do
> the archives as well as the lists themselves, but I don't think it
> would be that difficult with archives in two places.
>
> --
> David N. Welton
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
> Linux, Open Source Consulting
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - asf stuff

David E. Jones

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> 1) I think that we could go on with the license change from MIT to the
> ASL2 (the list of all the people who contributed is now complete)

I'm not so sure about this... Before we do the big change over we have to make sure one of these applies to each line of code:

1. the author of the line has a CLA on file (listed on the Apache page)
2. the change is very minor either as a bug fix or very minor change or configuration based on other works that couldn't reasonably vary (like database settings or something) with no real intellectual property value
3. the code block is removed and rewritten, or if not really important just removed altogether until someone wants to get it in place again later
4. we figure out some way that is acceptable to Apache to dual license it and leave the old MIT license on the file... this is a slippery issue and I think we'd need to send some details to the Apache legal board before we go forward with it

I don't really want to take any short cuts on this issue. I'm not sure if any contributor would decide to cause problems, but if they did they really could cause problems. It's annoying when a mailing list or code repository goes down for a few hours. It's really annoying when some random judge in some random jurisdiction signs a stop order to shut down the project until legal issues are resolved, and clients start canceling contracts fearing problems down the road...

Given our modern political and legal climate and competition in this arena with lots of cash, I'd rather not have the code than have the legal liability...

> 2) it's also ok to move all the subscribers of the OFBiz's lists to the
> new Apache lists (for the archives we can wait)

This we could do sooner than later. I guess we just need to send over a subscriber list and get everyone bulk-subscribed to the new lists, and then moderate all posts to these lists with auto-reply pointing to the new lists or something.

The archives would just stay on the current lists.ofbiz.org for now.

> 3) in my opinion we could also start to create new issues in the new
> Jira server (and keep the existing ones in the current Jira server)

This is another interesting one... I guess we should look into a way to not allow creation of new issues in our current Jira instance. For this we need an empty Jira project created on the Apache issues site. There is an issue open for this (INFRA-713), but I don't think it's been done yet as we were working on deciding how/what to do. Also, it looks like the Jira server is currently down as part of a machine migration or something. Or maybe the link on our status page is stale?

> 4) web site: from a technical perspective I think it is easy to move the
> website to Apache, but first we will probably need to clean up a few
> things; should we migrate only a portion of the website? or should we
> simply redirect the calls to the www.ofbiz.org url?

The main thing here is probably what needs to change in the current site to Apache-ize it. That might include visual changes and format changes to something other than plain HTML files. I haven't researched this enough to be able to say anything helpful...

> 5) SVN: the big issue here is the license of JOTM and Minerva

That is the biggest issue. There is some hope that using Geronimo will be easier after the upcoming release, and hopefully that's not too far in the future... One way or another someone is going to have to put a few days of pretty low level work into getting this going. I'm probably a month and a half, at least, away from being able to touch it.

Perhaps the best things to push right now are the mailing lists and Jira. The license change is something we can also make some progress on, but I think we still have a fair amount of work left on that to review all received CLAs, perhaps send out another round of solicitations, and decide what to do about changes that we can't find an email for or can't get a CLA for.

-David

> Jacopo
>
> David Welton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think it's time to stoke the fire a bit:
>>
>> *) How are things on the technical front?
>>
>> *) Is there something we could do in terms of infrastructure?  Mailing
>> lists, for instance?  It appears as though it may be difficult to do
>> the archives as well as the lists themselves, but I don't think it
>> would be that difficult with archives in two places.
>>
>> --
>> David N. Welton
>>  - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>>
>> Linux, Open Source Consulting
>>  - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - asf stuff

> > 1) I think that we could go on with the license change from MIT to the
> > ASL2 (the list of all the people who contributed is now complete)
>
> I'm not so sure about this... Before we do the big change over we have to make
sure one of these applies to each line of code:

> 1. the author of the line has a CLA on file (listed on the Apache page)

Please, where is this page ? I sent my iCLA months ago and have always no
news...

Re: Dev - asf stuff

David E. Jones

Jacques,

The URL for this was in the original email that I sent you, along with some other helpful links. Of course, that email is probably among hundreds of other messages from the months since you received it, so here is the URL:

http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html

I just looked at the list and didn't see your name on it. I'm not sure what is the best approach to resolve this... You may have to mail/fax it in again.

Does anyone know who to contact (or how to contact Jim) to find out about this?

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> [...]

Re: Dev - asf stuff

Thanks David,

I'll try to remember that I know this adress ;o)

More seriously, I think I have to send it again. If you remember I tried by fax
but was unable to send it this way so I used post. I will do it again but this
time with an acknowledgement of order.

Jacques

> The URL for this was in the original email that I sent you, along with some
other helpful links. Of course, that email is probably among hundreds of other
messages from the months since you received it, so here is the URL:

> http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html
>
> I just looked at the list and didn't see your name on it. I'm not sure what is
the best approach to resolve this... You may have to mail/fax it in again.

> Does anyone know who to contact (or how to contact Jim) to find out about
this?

> -David

Re: Dev - asf stuff

David E. Jones

Thanks for your persistence with this. Now that you're more involved with OFBiz this is certainly very important.

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Thanks David,
>
> I'll try to remember that I know this adress ;o)
>
> More seriously, I think I have to send it again. If you remember I tried by fax
> but was unable to send it this way so I used post. I will do it again but this
> time with an acknowledgement of order.
>
> Jacques

Re: Dev - asf stuff

David,

OK, I saw today my name in "Unlisted CLAs". It seems that something has to be
done to let know ASF of my commiter status. I updated Wiki.

> The URL for this was in the original email that I sent you, along with some
other helpful links. Of course, that email is probably among hundreds of other
messages from the months since you received it, so here is the URL:

> http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html
>
> I just looked at the list and didn't see your name on it. I'm not sure what is
the best approach to resolve this... You may have to mail/fax it in again.

> Does anyone know who to contact (or how to contact Jim) to find out about
this?

> -David

Re: Dev - asf stuff

David E. Jones
Jacques,

That's great news. Thanks for updating the wiki too. I guess now we can revisit updating the license headers for the POS component and such...

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> David,
>
> OK, I saw today my name in "Unlisted CLAs". It seems that something has to be
> done to let know ASF of my commiter status. I updated Wiki.

Re: Dev - asf stuff

> Jacques,
>
> That's great news. Thanks for updating the wiki too.
>I guess now we can revisit updating the license headers for the POS component
and such...

OK, I am beginning to do it with other modifications I was waiting to have time
to do.