Dev - change in invoice tabbar

Hans Bakker
Hi David,

i forwarded a change to the invoice tabbar to Si and he notified me that you
did you had objections against the change in the attached patch.

currently the problem exists that a purchase invoice can only be set to the
'ready' state and then the status cannot be manually changed anymore.

I think that the 'ready' state is not applicable for a purchase invoice; only
for a sales invoice and that the purchase invoice status should go from
'process' to 'received', a status only used on a purchase invoice....

can you tell me what the your objection against this change is?

Hans Bakker
ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)

If you want to verify that this message really originates from
from the above person, download the public key from:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

invTabbar.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Dev - change in invoice tabbar

David E. Jones

Actually I haven't seen this patch, I only commented on a commit that
Si did a little while back.

The issue I had with that commit was not about the ready state, it
was about the sent and received states only being used for sales and
purchase invoices (respectively).

In other words, I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a sales
invoice as received if you get word from the customer that it is the
case. Also I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a purchase
invoice as sent if you know they have sent it but you haven't
received it yet.

-David

On Mar 8, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> i forwarded a change to the invoice tabbar to Si and he notified me
> that you
> did you had objections against the change in the attached patch.
>
> currently the problem exists that a purchase invoice can only be
> set to the
> 'ready' state and then the status cannot be manually changed anymore.
>
> I think that the 'ready' state is not applicable for a purchase
> invoice; only
> for a sales invoice and that the purchase invoice status should go
> from
> 'process' to 'received', a status only used on a purchase invoice....
>
> can you tell me what the your objection against this change is?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Hans Bakker
> ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
>
> If you want to verify that this message really originates from
> from the above person, download the public key from:
> http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc
> <invTabbar.patch>

Re: Dev - change in invoice tabbar

Si Chen-2
Hi David,

This was part of the commit that you commented on.  I basically reverted
this because that's where I thought the problem was.

Si

David E. Jones wrote:

> Actually I haven't seen this patch, I only commented on a commit that
> Si did a little while back.
>
> The issue I had with that commit was not about the ready state, it
> was about the sent and received states only being used for sales and
> purchase invoices (respectively).
>
> In other words, I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a sales
> invoice as received if you get word from the customer that it is the
> case. Also I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a purchase
> invoice as sent if you know they have sent it but you haven't
> received it yet.
>
> -David
>

> On Mar 8, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> i forwarded a change to the invoice tabbar to Si and he notified me
>> that you
>> did you had objections against the change in the attached patch.
>>
>> currently the problem exists that a purchase invoice can only be  set
>> to the
>> 'ready' state and then the status cannot be manually changed anymore.
>>
>> I think that the 'ready' state is not applicable for a purchase
>> invoice; only
>> for a sales invoice and that the purchase invoice status should go  from
>> 'process' to 'received', a status only used on a purchase invoice....
>>
>> can you tell me what the your objection against this change is?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Hans Bakker
>> ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
>>
>> If you want to verify that this message really originates from
>> from the above person, download the public key from:
>> http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc
>> <invTabbar.patch>

Re: Dev - change in invoice tabbar

One more thing about this I forgot to mention: these addition states
will be more commonly used for automated invoice and payment systems
where you can actually get an immediately reply when an invoice is
received, for example.

-David

On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:17 PM, David E. Jones wrote:

> Actually I haven't seen this patch, I only commented on a commit
> that Si did a little while back.
>
> The issue I had with that commit was not about the ready state, it
> was about the sent and received states only being used for sales
> and purchase invoices (respectively).
>
> In other words, I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a
> sales invoice as received if you get word from the customer that it
> is the case. Also I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a
> purchase invoice as sent if you know they have sent it but you
> haven't received it yet.
>
> -David
>

> On Mar 8, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> i forwarded a change to the invoice tabbar to Si and he notified
>> me that you
>> did you had objections against the change in the attached patch.
>>
>> currently the problem exists that a purchase invoice can only be
>> set to the
>> 'ready' state and then the status cannot be manually changed anymore.
>>
>> I think that the 'ready' state is not applicable for a purchase
>> invoice; only
>> for a sales invoice and that the purchase invoice status should go
>> from
>> 'process' to 'received', a status only used on a purchase invoice....
>>
>> can you tell me what the your objection against this change is?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Hans Bakker
>> ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
>>
>> If you want to verify that this message really originates from
>> from the above person, download the public key from:
>> http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc
>> <invTabbar.patch>

Re: Dev - change in invoice tabbar

Hans Bakker
David,

I still have problems with the 'send' status: how can you enter a purchase
invoice if you did not receive it and it was only sent by the supplier? you
do not know the content.....

Do you think the 'ready' state is for a purchase invoice too?

or better have no difference in the status between a purchase and sales
invoice?

Hans

On Thursday 09 March 2006 08:17, David E. Jones wrote:

> Actually I haven't seen this patch, I only commented on a commit that
> Si did a little while back.
>
> The issue I had with that commit was not about the ready state, it
> was about the sent and received states only being used for sales and
> purchase invoices (respectively).
>
> In other words, I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a sales
> invoice as received if you get word from the customer that it is the
> case. Also I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a purchase
> invoice as sent if you know they have sent it but you haven't
> received it yet.
>
> -David
>
> On Mar 8, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > i forwarded a change to the invoice tabbar to Si and he notified me
> > that you
> > did you had objections against the change in the attached patch.
> >
> > currently the problem exists that a purchase invoice can only be
> > set to the
> > 'ready' state and then the status cannot be manually changed anymore.
> >
> > I think that the 'ready' state is not applicable for a purchase
> > invoice; only
> > for a sales invoice and that the purchase invoice status should go
> > from
> > 'process' to 'received', a status only used on a purchase invoice....
> >
> > can you tell me what the your objection against this change is?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Hans Bakker
> > ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
> >
> > If you want to verify that this message really originates from
> > from the above person, download the public key from:
> > http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc
> > <invTabbar.patch>

Re: Dev - change in invoice tabbar

Si Chen-2
Both sales & purchase invoices should have the READY state.  It marks
the state at which they are "official" and no longer changeable.

The others I don't have a strong opinion on, but are you saying after
READY, a purchase invoice can't be COMPLETE?  Even after applying
payments to it?  That sounds like a bug we should fix.

Si

Hans Bakker wrote:

>David,
>
>I still have problems with the 'send' status: how can you enter a purchase
>invoice if you did not receive it and it was only sent by the supplier? you
>do not know the content.....
>
>Do you think the 'ready' state is for a purchase invoice too?
>
>or better have no difference in the status between a purchase and sales
>invoice?
>
>Hans
>

>On Thursday 09 March 2006 08:17, David E. Jones wrote:
>

>>Actually I haven't seen this patch, I only commented on a commit that
>>Si did a little while back.
>>
>>The issue I had with that commit was not about the ready state, it
>>was about the sent and received states only being used for sales and
>>purchase invoices (respectively).
>>
>>In other words, I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a sales
>>invoice as received if you get word from the customer that it is the
>>case. Also I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a purchase
>>invoice as sent if you know they have sent it but you haven't
>>received it yet.
>>
>>-David
>>
>>On Mar 8, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:
>>

>>>Hi David,
>>>
>>>i forwarded a change to the invoice tabbar to Si and he notified me
>>>that you
>>>did you had objections against the change in the attached patch.
>>>
>>>currently the problem exists that a purchase invoice can only be
>>>set to the
>>>'ready' state and then the status cannot be manually changed anymore.
>>>
>>>I think that the 'ready' state is not applicable for a purchase
>>>invoice; only
>>>for a sales invoice and that the purchase invoice status should go
>>>from
>>>'process' to 'received', a status only used on a purchase invoice....
>>>
>>>can you tell me what the your objection against this change is?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Regards,
>>>Hans Bakker
>>>ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
>>>
>>>If you want to verify that this message really originates from
>>>from the above person, download the public key from:
>>>http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc
>>><invTabbar.patch>

Re: Dev - change in invoice tabbar

Hans Bakker
I currently use the system manually:

enter a sales invoice, set to ready then to send (by email) and paid when
fully applied

enter a purchase invoice (or copy from the payment) set it to received and
then to paid when the application is complete....

Hans

On Thursday 09 March 2006 08:19, David E. Jones wrote:

> One more thing about this I forgot to mention: these addition states
> will be more commonly used for automated invoice and payment systems
> where you can actually get an immediately reply when an invoice is
> received, for example.
>
> -David
>
> On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:17 PM, David E. Jones wrote:
> > Actually I haven't seen this patch, I only commented on a commit
> > that Si did a little while back.
> >
> > The issue I had with that commit was not about the ready state, it
> > was about the sent and received states only being used for sales
> > and purchase invoices (respectively).
> >
> > In other words, I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a
> > sales invoice as received if you get word from the customer that it
> > is the case. Also I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a
> > purchase invoice as sent if you know they have sent it but you
> > haven't received it yet.
> >
> > -David
> >
> > On Mar 8, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:
> >> Hi David,
> >>
> >> i forwarded a change to the invoice tabbar to Si and he notified
> >> me that you
> >> did you had objections against the change in the attached patch.
> >>
> >> currently the problem exists that a purchase invoice can only be
> >> set to the
> >> 'ready' state and then the status cannot be manually changed anymore.
> >>
> >> I think that the 'ready' state is not applicable for a purchase
> >> invoice; only
> >> for a sales invoice and that the purchase invoice status should go
> >> from
> >> 'process' to 'received', a status only used on a purchase invoice....
> >>
> >> can you tell me what the your objection against this change is?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Hans Bakker
> >> ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
> >>
> >> If you want to verify that this message really originates from
> >> from the above person, download the public key from:
> >> http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc
> >> <invTabbar.patch>

Hans Bakker
ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)

If you want to verify that this message really originates from
from the above person, download the public key from:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Re: Dev - change in invoice tabbar

Hans Bakker
are you sure that the received status cannot be used for that, when it is
official?

On Thursday 09 March 2006 08:29, Si Chen wrote:

> Both sales & purchase invoices should have the READY state.  It marks
> the state at which they are "official" and no longer changeable.
>
> The others I don't have a strong opinion on, but are you saying after
> READY, a purchase invoice can't be COMPLETE?  Even after applying
> payments to it?  That sounds like a bug we should fix.
>
> Si
>
> Hans Bakker wrote:
> >David,
> >
> >I still have problems with the 'send' status: how can you enter a purchase
> >invoice if you did not receive it and it was only sent by the supplier?
> > you do not know the content.....
> >
> >Do you think the 'ready' state is for a purchase invoice too?
> >
> >or better have no difference in the status between a purchase and sales
> >invoice?
> >
> >Hans
> >
> >On Thursday 09 March 2006 08:17, David E. Jones wrote:
> >>Actually I haven't seen this patch, I only commented on a commit that
> >>Si did a little while back.
> >>
> >>The issue I had with that commit was not about the ready state, it
> >>was about the sent and received states only being used for sales and
> >>purchase invoices (respectively).
> >>
> >>In other words, I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a sales
> >>invoice as received if you get word from the customer that it is the
> >>case. Also I think it is perfectly valid to want to mark a purchase
> >>invoice as sent if you know they have sent it but you haven't
> >>received it yet.
> >>
> >>-David

Hans Bakker
ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)

If you want to verify that this message really originates from
from the above person, download the public key from:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Re: Dev - change in invoice tabbar

Si Chen-2
No, because an invoice could be received but then would need to be
reviewed and approved by someone at the company.

Si

Hans Bakker wrote:

>are you sure that the received status cannot be used for that, when it is
>official?
>

>On Thursday 09 March 2006 08:29, Si Chen wrote:
>

>>Both sales & purchase invoices should have the READY state.  It marks
>>the state at which they are "official" and no longer changeable.
>>
>>The others I don't have a strong opinion on, but are you saying after
>>READY, a purchase invoice can't be COMPLETE?  Even after applying
>>payments to it?  That sounds like a bug we should fix.
>>
>>Si
>>
>>Hans Bakker wrote:
>>

>>>David,
>>>
>>>I still have problems with the 'send' status: how can you enter a purchase
>>>invoice if you did not receive it and it was only sent by the supplier?
>>>you do not know the content.....
>>>
>>>Do you think the 'ready' state is for a purchase invoice too?
>>>
>>>or better have no difference in the status between a purchase and sales
>>>invoice?
>>>
>>>Hans

Re: Dev - change in invoice tabbar

Hans,

So does that mean that a purchase invoice does turn to PAID when payment