Discussion: Recurrence Rules - Part 2

Adrian Crum
More thoughts on recurrence rules...

1. I can't determine the purpose of the following fields:

RecurrenceRule.bySetPosList
RecurrenceRule.weekStart
RecurrenceRule.xName

They don't seem to be used anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

2. The RecurrenceInfo.recurrenceDateTimes and
RecurrenceInfo.exceptionDateTimes fields should not be used. They seem
to duplicate the information found in RecurrenceRule and there is no way
of knowing what the field contents mean. For example: what time zone is
the date/time referencing? The server's or the user's? What calendar
does the field represent?

I'd like to deprecate those two fields.

3. I'm thinking there might be a need to add a recurrenceTimeZone field
to RecurrenceInfo. The work I'm doing right now enables you to specify a
time zone at run time (the user's time zone for example), and if you
don't specify one then the server's time zone is used. I'm wondering if
there would be a need to set up a recurrence referenced to a certain
time zone.

Comments are welcome.

-Adrian

Re: Discussion: Recurrence Rules - Part 2

Bilgin Ibryam
On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 11:44 -0700, Adrian Crum wrote:
> More thoughts on recurrence rules...
>
> 1. I can't determine the purpose of the following fields:
>
> RecurrenceRule.bySetPosList
No idea

> RecurrenceRule.weekStart
Could be used to determine the Week start day, but after adding localization probably will be redundant.

> RecurrenceRule.xName
No idea

What about adding a new description field to RecurrenceInfo (and may be
to RecurrenceRule)? This field will be useful when searching/choosing a
recurrence from recurrence lookup screen. I got this idea while creating
the lookup screen for recurrence...

> They don't seem to be used anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> 2. The RecurrenceInfo.recurrenceDateTimes and
> RecurrenceInfo.exceptionDateTimes fields should not be used. They seem
> to duplicate the information found in RecurrenceRule and there is no way
> of knowing what the field contents mean. For example: what time zone is
> the date/time referencing? The server's or the user's? What calendar
> does the field represent?
>
> I'd like to deprecate those two fields.

+1

> 3. I'm thinking there might be a need to add a recurrenceTimeZone field
> to RecurrenceInfo. The work I'm doing right now enables you to specify a
> time zone at run time (the user's time zone for example), and if you
> don't specify one then the server's time zone is used. I'm wondering if
> there would be a need to set up a recurrence referenced to a certain
> time zone.

+1

Bilgin

> Comments are welcome.
>
> -Adrian

Re: Discussion: Recurrence Rules - Part 2

Adrian Crum
Bilgin,

If you have the time, could you take a look at the patch I submitted to
Jira?

-Adrian