Dojo vs. Prototype vs. whatever

Re: Dojo vs. Prototype vs. whatever

byersa
This seems to be two issues - what javascript toolkit core platform to use
and what platform will more easily integrate with OFBiz Screen Widgets.

I don't see any point in trying to standardize on a core platform as I do
not think we could come to any sort of agreement. But I do think that we can
objectively say that Dojo is the best tool for integrating with screen
widgets simply because of its XML-based widget implementation strategy.

Whatever implementation is used for the first screen widget integration will
probably have a leg up on other platforms when it comes to future general
javascript toolkit design-ins, but I doubt if many people are going to
change the toolkit that they are currently using because of it. And I don't
know when that will happen.

I would like to clarify why I think the Dojo Toolkit is the best choice for
screen widget integration. It is mostly on the basis of the fact that Brett
mentioned that widgets can be implemented in XML format. I understand that
screen widget definitions can be translated into javascript code; it is just
that this will make the first integration easier to do.

Also, I like the fact that Dojo is a "complete stack" - we do not have to go
to a third party for widget technology. It also has a package system which
will be important if a lot of different people start contributing front-end
code - will keep code from stepping on other people's code. I also like the
fact that it has a drawing module that draws in SVG for FF and VML for IE.
And I like the way that it does file uploads.

I am not trying to stop discussion and the only weight I have (or anyone has
to an extent) is if I do the Dojo/screen widget integration.

-Al

Re: Dojo vs. Prototype vs. whatever

Yes strange indeed ! The only way is to write him I guess (and hoping he will reply ;o)

Jacques

De : "Chris Howe" <[hidden email]>
> This is strange.  It is only possible (methinks) if John Resig has copyright ownership of every part of JQuery.  And if he does,
then the MIT license invalidates the GPL license.  If he does not have copyright ownership of every part of JQuery, then if any
contributions were added through the GPL license, it's likely all of the codebase is GPL.

Found on a link provided by Al (very interesting links, thanks Al !) :
http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-book-0-9/introduction/why-dojo

JQuery: [...]JQuery is dual-licensed MIT and GPL with all copyrights resting with John Resig. It is not clear how IP rights are
assigned to John by other contributors and under what terms. Several frameworks (notably Drupal) integrate JQuery.

No comment

Jacques

> Yes strange indeed ! The only way is to write him I guess (and hoping he will reply ;o)
>
> Jacques
>
> De : "Chris Howe" <[hidden email]>
> > This is strange.  It is only possible (methinks) if John Resig has copyright ownership of every part of JQuery.  And if he does,
> then the MIT license invalidates the GPL license.  If he does not have copyright ownership of every part of JQuery, then if any
> contributions were added through the GPL license, it's likely all of the codebase is GPL.

Re: JQuery conflit Prototype

erwin_br
Hi i am from brasil, can anyone help me???
My problem....
I put var $j=jQuery.noConflict(); at my html file, like above...
<head>
<title>Atualizar Custo de Venda</title>

        <link href="../styles/estilo.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"> <!-- // evitar conflito com prototype var $j=jQuery.noConflict(); //--> </script>
</head>

than everithing is good at prototype but my "alert that i made by jQuery dont work?????" i have a message JQuery is not defined.....here my index.js above...
function invocaDialog(message){
    $j('#alert').jqm({
        overlay: 60,
        overlayClass: 'overlay',
        modal: true,
        trigger: false
    });
    $j('#confirm').jqm({
        overlay: 60,
        overlayClass: 'overlay',
        modal: true,
        trigger: false
    });
    //confirm("Deseja ler o restante do arquivo?", "index.html");
    alert(message);
}

function alert(msg) {
  $j('#alert')
    .jqmShow()
    .find('div.jqmAlertContent')
    .html("" + msg + "")
    .end()
    .find(':submit:visible')
    .click(function() {
    $j('#alert').jqmHide();
    });
}
function confirm(msg,callback) {
  $j('#confirm')
    .jqmShow()
    .find('p.jqmConfirmMsg')
    .html("" + msg + "")
    .end()
    .find(':submit:visible')
    .click(function(){
        if(this.value == 'Sim')
          (typeof callback == 'string') ?
            window.location.href = callback :
            callback;
        $j('#confirm').jqmHide();
    });
}

i have to make changes at jQuery.js file and jqmodal.js file too......what´s wrong????? help-me i am a new bye...thanks.

Re: JQuery conflit Prototype

This a dev ML for *OFBiz* not JQuery or Prototype

Please read : http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Mailing+Lists

De : "erwin_br" <[hidden email]>

> Hi i am from brasil, can anyone help me???
> My problem....
> I put var $j=jQuery.noConflict(); at my html file, like above...
> <head>
> <title>Atualizar Custo de Venda</title>
>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="../js/validation.js"></script>
>     <script type="text/javascript" src="../js/prototype.js"></script>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="../js/autocomplete.js"></script>
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="../styles/autocomplete.css" type="text/css"/>
> <link href="../styles/estilo.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
> <script type="text/javascript" src="../js/jqmodal.js"></script>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="../js/index.js"></script>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="../js/jquery.js"></script>
>
> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
> <!--
>   // evitar conflito com prototype
>   var $j=jQuery.noConflict();
> //-->
> </script>
>
> </head>
>
> than everithing is good at prototype but my "alert that i made by jQuery
> dont work?????" i have a message JQuery is not defined.....here my index.js
> above...
> function invocaDialog(message){
>     $j('#alert').jqm({
>         overlay: 60,
>         overlayClass: 'overlay',
>         modal: true,
>         trigger: false
>     });
>     $j('#confirm').jqm({
>         overlay: 60,
>         overlayClass: 'overlay',
>         modal: true,
>         trigger: false
>     });
>     //confirm("Deseja ler o restante do arquivo?", "index.html");
>     alert(message);
> }
>
> function alert(msg) {
>   $j('#alert')
>     .jqmShow()
>     .find('div.jqmAlertContent')
>     .html(" alert.gif " + msg + "")
>     .end()
>     .find(':submit:visible')
>     .click(function() {
>     $j('#alert').jqmHide();
>     });
> }
> function confirm(msg,callback) {
>   $j('#confirm')
>     .jqmShow()
>     .find('p.jqmConfirmMsg')
>     .html(" confirm.gif " + msg + "")
>     .end()
>     .find(':submit:visible')
>     .click(function(){
>         if(this.value == 'Sim')
>           (typeof callback == 'string') ?
>             window.location.href = callback :
>             callback;
>         $j('#confirm').jqmHide();
>     });
> }
>
> i have to make changes at jQuery.js file and jqmodal.js file too......what´s
> wrong????? help-me i am a new bye...thanks.

> [...]

Ean Schuessler
On Wednesday 12 September 2007 02:32:02 pm Chris Howe wrote:
> This is strange.  It is only possible (methinks) if John Resig has
> copyright ownership of every part of JQuery.  And if he does, then the MIT
> license invalidates the GPL license.  If he does not have copyright
> ownership of every part of JQuery, then if any contributions were added
> through the GPL license, it's likely all of the codebase is GPL.

How would the MIT license invalidate the GPL license? If he has copyright
assignment back to him on everything then he can certainly dual-license the
code.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]
Brainfood, Inc.
http://www.brainfood.com

Re: Dojo vs. Prototype vs. whatever

cjhowe
Sorry Ean for sending my reply offlist, The MIT license releases freely all of the protections of the GPL
without restriction.  So, if one is able to grant an MIT license and
does, the licensor cannot claim any of the protections or restrictions
of the GPL.

On Wednesday 12 September 2007 02:32:02 pm Chris Howe wrote:
> This is strange.  It is only possible (methinks) if John Resig has
> copyright ownership of every part of JQuery.  And if he does, then the MIT
> license invalidates the GPL license.  If he does not have copyright
> ownership of every part of JQuery, then if any contributions were added
> through the GPL license, it's likely all of the codebase is GPL.

How would the MIT license invalidate the GPL license? If he has copyright
assignment back to him on everything then he can certainly dual-license the
code.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]