Eclipse IDE Problem with Ubuntu LTS 8.04 while Building and Refreshing OFBiz trunk

Eclipse IDE Problem with Ubuntu LTS 8.04 while Building and Refreshing OFBiz trunk

Ashish Vijaywargiya-5
Hello Jacques,

I noticed that you are using the Eclipse on Ubuntu since very long.
I have installed Eclipse Ganymede on my laptop with Ubuntu LTS 8.04.

But in case of Build and Refresh most of the time it gets hanged out.
Can you please share your experience with Eclipse + Ubuntu ?

If you are using some other version of Eclipse IDE then please let me know.
Thanks.

--
Regards
Ashish Vijaywargiya

http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indore

Office :- +917314093684
Direct :- +919893479711

Re: Eclipse IDE Problem with Ubuntu LTS 8.04 while Building and Refreshing OFBiz trunk

Hi Ashish,

Yes I'm using Eclipse 3.4 since its beginning (August  2007, was 3.4M1 then). Actually I use it mostly on Windows XP but on Ubuntu
8.04 LTS too.
My experience is that problems almost always come from plugins and they should not be related to the OS.
When you experience such problems have a look into workspace\.metadata\log. Then you should discover the culprit. Though sometimes
it may take some time (then Google may help)
Then uninstall it and wait for a newer version of this plugin.

I noticed that last version of Groovy plugin is not very stable and needed too much CPU ressources. I uninstalled it yesterday...
Actually I don't need it much, but I hope to get a better version one day...

I have a lot of plugins installed and so far it's ok. The 3.4 version is really much more stable and complete and the new updater
(P2) is much more robust and reliable (though there are still some problems, I noticed with PHP plugins for instance, anyway I
merely use them ;o).

The must IMO is the replace (Ctrl+H) function. Used with regex it has wonderful power !

HTH

Jacques

From: "Ashish Vijaywargiya" <[hidden email]>

> Hello Jacques,
>
> I noticed that you are using the Eclipse on Ubuntu since very long.
> I have installed Eclipse Ganymede on my laptop with Ubuntu LTS 8.04.
>
> But in case of Build and Refresh most of the time it gets hanged out.
> Can you please share your experience with Eclipse + Ubuntu ?
>
> If you are using some other version of Eclipse IDE then please let me know.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards
> Ashish Vijaywargiya
> HotWax Media Pvt. Ltd.
> Indore (M.P), India
>
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indore
>
> Office :- +917314093684
> Direct :- +919893479711

Re: Eclipse IDE Problem with Ubuntu LTS 8.04 while Building and Refreshing OFBiz trunk

rajsaini
Hi Ashish,

I have been using Ubuntu + Eclipse since the Ubuntu 6.X days. Currently,
I have Eclipse 3.4 on Ubuntu 8.04 and did not experience any problem so
far. There was a problem due to the Beta version of Firefox, how it is
resolved in latest version of Firefox. (Firefox is embedded browser of
Eclipse).

As Jacques suggest, look at the logs in the .metadata folder. Also start
with just base Eclipse and then incrementally add the plug-in so that
you can find out the culprit.

Thanks,

Raj

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi Ashish,
>
> Yes I'm using Eclipse 3.4 since its beginning (August  2007, was 3.4M1
> then). Actually I use it mostly on Windows XP but on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS too.
> My experience is that problems almost always come from plugins and
> they should not be related to the OS.
> When you experience such problems have a look into
> workspace\.metadata\log. Then you should discover the culprit. Though
> sometimes it may take some time (then Google may help)
> Then uninstall it and wait for a newer version of this plugin.
>
> I noticed that last version of Groovy plugin is not very stable and
> needed too much CPU ressources. I uninstalled it yesterday... Actually
> I don't need it much, but I hope to get a better version one day...
>
> I have a lot of plugins installed and so far it's ok. The 3.4 version
> is really much more stable and complete and the new updater (P2) is
> much more robust and reliable (though there are still some problems, I
> noticed with PHP plugins for instance, anyway I merely use them ;o).
>
> The must IMO is the replace (Ctrl+H) function. Used with regex it has
> wonderful power !
>
> HTH
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Ashish Vijaywargiya" <[hidden email]>
>> Hello Jacques,
>>
>> I noticed that you are using the Eclipse on Ubuntu since very long.
>> I have installed Eclipse Ganymede on my laptop with Ubuntu LTS 8.04.
>>
>> But in case of Build and Refresh most of the time it gets hanged out.
>> Can you please share your experience with Eclipse + Ubuntu ?
>>
>> If you are using some other version of Eclipse IDE then please let me
>> know.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Ashish Vijaywargiya
>> HotWax Media Pvt. Ltd.
>> Indore (M.P), India
>>
>> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indore
>>
>> Office :- +917314093684
>> Direct :- +919893479711

Re: Eclipse IDE Problem with Ubuntu LTS 8.04 while Building and Refreshing OFBiz trunk

Ashish Vijaywargiya-5
Thanks Jacques & Raj for your comments.
It looks like that there was some Heap Memory problem in my eclipse.

I have made entry for the Heap memory (-Xms512M -Xmx1024M) in my
Java/Jre Section.
Will let you know how it works in next few days.

I haven't seen this problem in my Old installation because in my Old
setup I was using  CentOs 5.2 with Java Heap Memory settings done in that.
But before 3 or 4 days I have switched to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and those
settings were missing in it.

--

Raj Saini wrote:

> Hi Ashish,
>
> I have been using Ubuntu + Eclipse since the Ubuntu 6.X days.
> Currently, I have Eclipse 3.4 on Ubuntu 8.04 and did not experience
> any problem so far. There was a problem due to the Beta version of
> Firefox, how it is resolved in latest version of Firefox. (Firefox is
> embedded browser of Eclipse).
>
> As Jacques suggest, look at the logs in the .metadata folder. Also
> start with just base Eclipse and then incrementally add the plug-in so
> that you can find out the culprit.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Raj
>
> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> Hi Ashish,
>>
>> Yes I'm using Eclipse 3.4 since its beginning (August  2007, was
>> 3.4M1 then). Actually I use it mostly on Windows XP but on Ubuntu
>> 8.04 LTS too.
>> My experience is that problems almost always come from plugins and
>> they should not be related to the OS.
>> When you experience such problems have a look into
>> workspace\.metadata\log. Then you should discover the culprit. Though
>> sometimes it may take some time (then Google may help)
>> Then uninstall it and wait for a newer version of this plugin.
>>
>> I noticed that last version of Groovy plugin is not very stable and
>> needed too much CPU ressources. I uninstalled it yesterday...
>> Actually I don't need it much, but I hope to get a better version one
>> day...
>>
>> I have a lot of plugins installed and so far it's ok. The 3.4 version
>> is really much more stable and complete and the new updater (P2) is
>> much more robust and reliable (though there are still some problems,
>> I noticed with PHP plugins for instance, anyway I merely use them ;o).
>>
>> The must IMO is the replace (Ctrl+H) function. Used with regex it has
>> wonderful power !
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> From: "Ashish Vijaywargiya" <[hidden email]>
>>> Hello Jacques,
>>>
>>> I noticed that you are using the Eclipse on Ubuntu since very long.
>>> I have installed Eclipse Ganymede on my laptop with Ubuntu LTS 8.04.
>>>
>>> But in case of Build and Refresh most of the time it gets hanged out.
>>> Can you please share your experience with Eclipse + Ubuntu ?
>>>
>>> If you are using some other version of Eclipse IDE then please let
>>> me know.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> Ashish Vijaywargiya
>>> HotWax Media Pvt. Ltd.
>>> Indore (M.P), India
>>>
>>> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indore
>>>
>>> Office :- +917314093684
>>> Direct :- +919893479711

Re: Eclipse IDE Problem with Ubuntu LTS 8.04 while Building and Refreshing OFBiz trunk

Sven Wesley
You could also tweak the MaxPermSize parameter (used for class meta data),
which become important in newer releases of Java.
My settings for Eclipse in another server project (not ofBiz) is: -Xms256m
-Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

http://www.unixville.com/~moazam/stories/2004/05/17/maxpermsizeAndHowItRelatesToTheOverallHeap.html

2008/10/4 Ashish Vijaywargiya <[hidden email]>

> Thanks Jacques & Raj for your comments.
> It looks like that there was some Heap Memory problem in my eclipse.
>
> I have made entry for the Heap memory (-Xms512M -Xmx1024M) in my Java/Jre
> Section.
> Will let you know how it works in next few days.
>
> I haven't seen this problem in my Old installation because in my Old setup
> I was using  CentOs 5.2 with Java Heap Memory settings done in that.
> But before 3 or 4 days I have switched to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and those
> settings were missing in it.
>
> --
> Regards
> Ashish Vijaywargiya
> HotWax Media Pvt. Ltd.
> Indore (M.P), India
>
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indore
>
> Office :- +917314093684
> Direct :- +919893479711

Re: Eclipse IDE Problem with Ubuntu LTS 8.04 while Building and Refreshing OFBiz trunk

Yes right, this is a must with last Eclipse version

Jacques

From: "Sven Wesley" <[hidden email]>

> You could also tweak the MaxPermSize parameter (used for class meta data),
> which become important in newer releases of Java.
> My settings for Eclipse in another server project (not ofBiz) is: -Xms256m
> -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
>
> http://www.unixville.com/~moazam/stories/2004/05/17/maxpermsizeAndHowItRelatesToTheOverallHeap.html
>

> 2008/10/4 Ashish Vijaywargiya <[hidden email]>
>
>> Thanks Jacques & Raj for your comments.
>> It looks like that there was some Heap Memory problem in my eclipse.
>>
>> I have made entry for the Heap memory (-Xms512M -Xmx1024M) in my Java/Jre
>> Section.
>> Will let you know how it works in next few days.
>>
>> I haven't seen this problem in my Old installation because in my Old setup
>> I was using  CentOs 5.2 with Java Heap Memory settings done in that.
>> But before 3 or 4 days I have switched to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and those
>> settings were missing in it.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Ashish Vijaywargiya
>> HotWax Media Pvt. Ltd.
>> Indore (M.P), India
>>
>> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indore
>>
>> Office :- +917314093684
>> Direct :- +919893479711

Re: Eclipse IDE Problem with Ubuntu LTS 8.04 while Building and Refreshing OFBiz trunk

Ashish Vijaywargiya-5
Done on my machine too :-).
Thanks Sven for the pointer.