Editing the Production Setup User Guide

Daniel Kunkel
Hi David

I know the documentation efforts are in flux. What is involved in
editing the Production Setup User Guide?

What is the state of the new Wiki? Is the plan to move everything from
the old wiki manually, which would really help with
housecleaning/reorganizing it, or are there some other plans in the
works?

Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.SatelliteRadioZone.com
http://www.Cards-Visa.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Editing the Production Setup User Guide

David E Jones-2

On Sep 14, 2006, at 1:10 PM, Daniel Kunkel wrote:

> I know the documentation efforts are in flux. What is involved in
> editing the Production Setup User Guide?

The Basic Production Setup Guide is in the technical documentation
(OFBTECH) space on the Confluence site, which has restricted
permissions. The intent of limiting change access to it is to help
avoid the problems that often happen with fully open wiki style
stuff. This is meant to move slower, and hopefully be of higher
reliability/quality than the open wiki space.

Right now there are 6 people with write access in this space (Hans,
Jacopo, Andy, Ruth Hoffman, Si, and me). For those who get involved
with this and demonstrate and express their interest and commitment
to being involved with this, we are happy to have help from others
and make sure they have permissions to work directly with this.

The best thing to do with comments on this document is to use the
Confluence comment feature to attach a comment to the page. Anyone
with an account can add comments in this space. This is the place for
changes, corrections, additions, and so on that someone with direct
access can then review and incorporate into the document.

I think this sort of contribution will be very important to the
progress of the technical and end-user documentation. Basically what
we want is a moderated wiki of sorts...

> What is the state of the new Wiki? Is the plan to move everything from
> the old wiki manually, which would really help with
> housecleaning/reorganizing it, or are there some other plans in the
> works?

I spent a bit of time looking into possible ways to migrate this
content but I didn't find anything that would be easy. If someone
wants to spend some time on that approach it looked like there might
be a way to do it, but it would require a bit of work (unless some
new stuff has been created since I did that early research).

So for now, yes, for pages that are going to see some changes it
would be good to move them to the new wiki, change the old page to a
pointer to the new wiki page, and then do the changes there.

We really appreciate the resources and effort that Integral has put
into hosting the wiki over the years. The new wiki has two purposes:

1. act as a place to move documentation from various sources,
including the Undersun online end-user docs, whatever docs others
want to contribute, and eventually all of the documentation on ofbiz.org

2. act as a new wiki which will eventually be moved to ASF
infrastructure and become the official Apache OFBiz wiki

Right now the ASF has some Confluence spaces, though it doesn't seem
to be too official/settled yet, and we eventually plan to move all of
this Confluence content to an ASF server to make it more official.

-David