Employee pay

Daniel Carrasco
Hi all

I am trying to develop a pay application, but I need to add a new fields to
some entities, for example the company must have an ID assigned by the TAX
authority, how can I make this?. I think that I should make a new entity or
view entity that supports It. Is it right?

Thanks a lot!

Daniel

Re: Employee pay

Si Chen-2
Don't add a new field.  Use the PartyTaxAuthInfo entity instead.

On Jul 14, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am trying to develop a pay application, but I need to add a new
> fields to
> some entities, for example the company must have an ID assigned by
> the TAX
> authority, how can I make this?. I think that I should make a new
> entity or
> view entity that supports It. Is it right?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Daniel

Re: Employee pay

Check the Webtools
# Entity Reference [Static Version]
You will see how the
TAX_AUTHORITY and its supporting entities are connected.

Daniel Carrasco sent the following on 7/14/2006 12:21 PM:

> Hi all
>
> I am trying to develop a pay application, but I need to add a new fields to
> some entities, for example the company must have an ID assigned by the TAX
> authority, how can I make this?. I think that I should make a new entity or
> view entity that supports It. Is it right?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Daniel

Re: Employee pay

Daniel Carrasco
Thanks, I´m learning how to model the specific country tax on the pays of
employees with those entities

2006/7/14, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:

> Don't add a new field.  Use the PartyTaxAuthInfo entity instead.
>

> On Jul 14, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I am trying to develop a pay application, but I need to add a new
> > fields to
> > some entities, for example the company must have an ID assigned by
> > the TAX
> > authority, how can I make this?. I think that I should make a new
> > entity or
> > view entity that supports It. Is it right?
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> >
> > Daniel

Re: Employee pay

Si Chen-2
The TaxAuthority model with all the related entities should allow you
to do that.

On Jul 14, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:

> Thanks, I´m learning how to model the specific country tax on the
> pays of
> employees with those entities
>

> 2006/7/14, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Don't add a new field.  Use the PartyTaxAuthInfo entity instead.
>>

>> On Jul 14, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > I am trying to develop a pay application, but I need to add a new
>> > fields to
>> > some entities, for example the company must have an ID assigned by
>> > the TAX
>> > authority, how can I make this?. I think that I should make a new
>> > entity or
>> > view entity that supports It. Is it right?
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot!
>> >
>> > Daniel

Re: Employee pay

Daniel Carrasco
I´m tring to assign a Employee to a Company,I tried do it with
relationships, but I couldn´t do it, can you help me??

2006/7/14, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:

> The TaxAuthority model with all the related entities should allow you
> to do that.
>

> On Jul 14, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I´m learning how to model the specific country tax on the
> > pays of
> > employees with those entities
> >

> > 2006/7/14, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Don't add a new field.  Use the PartyTaxAuthInfo entity instead.

Re: Employee pay

BJ Freeman
while your considering this relationship.
how about a company organization where the employee is on the board of
directors of the Parent Organization, and Is the President of subsidiary.

or you have many S or LLc under a parent Organization and the employee
is the account for all of them.

I am guessing some of these would be involved
EmplPositionReportingStruct
PartyRoleAndPartyDetail
PartyGroup
PartyRelationship
PartyClassificationGroup

Daniel Carrasco sent the following on 7/17/2006 10:50 AM:

> I´m tring to assign a Employee to a Company,I tried do it with
> relationships, but I couldn´t do it, can you help me??
>
> 2006/7/14, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> The TaxAuthority model with all the related entities should allow you
>> to do that.
>>

>> On Jul 14, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks, I´m learning how to model the specific country tax on the
>> > pays of
>> > employees with those entities

Re: Employee pay

Daniel Carrasco
Sorry, I try but I dont understand, is any documents about Human Resource?,
for example a process or howto create employee, howto create employment or
employment position, are also an interface to do it?

right now I´m buying the books The Data Model Resource Book, Revised
Edition, Volumes 1 & 2, I hope that those books give me major knowledge to
understand the data model.
Thanks a lot,

Daniel

2006/7/17, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]>:

> while your considering this relationship.
> how about a company organization where the employee is on the board of
> directors of the Parent Organization, and Is the President of subsidiary.
>
> or you have many S or LLc under a parent Organization and the employee
> is the account for all of them.
>
> I am guessing some of these would be involved
> EmplPositionReportingStruct
> PartyRoleAndPartyDetail
> PartyGroup
> PartyRelationship
> PartyClassificationGroup
>

> Daniel Carrasco sent the following on 7/17/2006 10:50 AM:
> > I´m tring to assign a Employee to a Company,I tried do it with
> > relationships, but I couldn´t do it, can you help me??
> >
> > 2006/7/14, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> The TaxAuthority model with all the related entities should allow you
> >> to do that.

Re: Employee pay

BJ Freeman
Human resources is more employee reviews and Set the pay grade, manage
employement apps, Health Care benifits, Employee manual, Union
negotiations, and unemployment.
there are some entities for this.

Employee pay is more accounting (Payroll)

Daniel Carrasco sent the following on 7/17/2006 1:58 PM:

> Sorry, I try but I dont understand, is any documents about Human Resource?,
> for example a process or howto create employee, howto create employment or
> employment position, are also an interface to do it?
>
> right now I´m buying the books The Data Model Resource Book, Revised
> Edition, Volumes 1 & 2, I hope that those books give me major knowledge to
> understand the data model.
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Daniel
>

> 2006/7/17, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> while your considering this relationship.
>> how about a company organization where the employee is on the board of
>> directors of the Parent Organization, and Is the President of subsidiary.
>>
>> or you have many S or LLc under a parent Organization and the employee
>> is the account for all of them.
>>
>> I am guessing some of these would be involved
>> EmplPositionReportingStruct
>> PartyRoleAndPartyDetail
>> PartyGroup
>> PartyRelationship
>> PartyClassificationGroup
>>

>> Daniel Carrasco sent the following on 7/17/2006 10:50 AM:
>> > I´m tring to assign a Employee to a Company,I tried do it with
>> > relationships, but I couldn´t do it, can you help me??

>> assigned by

Re: Employee pay

As a wild, wild guess--did you create the roles for your parties
first, before trying to create a relationship between them?

In general, please furnish more details about what happened.  It's
very hard to figure out what is happening from so far away.

On Jul 17, 2006, at 10:50 AM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:

> I´m tring to assign a Employee to a Company,I tried do it with
> relationships, but I couldn´t do it, can you help me??
>
> 2006/7/14, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> The TaxAuthority model with all the related entities should allow you
>> to do that.
>>

>> On Jul 14, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks, I´m learning how to model the specific country tax on the
>> > pays of
>> > employees with those entities

>> new
>> assigned by
>> new

Re: Employee pay

Daniel Carrasco
Thanks all,

I will try to be more explanatory:

I need an application that calculate the salary of an employee, the
salary is made up of several items,  they are grouped in two type:
taxable and tax-free, over the taxable items must be apply the
deductions.

The most important deductions are 7% to health system, 12,5 % to
pension system, (depend of the kind of contract) 0,8% to unemployment
insurance, and the Tax.

The process to get the Tax is:  the salary minus deductions(health,
pension, unemployment) is searched in with range of a table of factors
and discounts is it, then get the factor, rest the discount and that
is all, there is the tax.

Example

Taxable
   Basic salary  1000
   Bonos             200
   Extra hours     100
                        1300

Tax-free
   Eat allowance       100
   Family allowance  100

Deductions
   Health              12,50%    162,5    (1300*12,50%)
   Pension              7,00%      91       (1300*7%)
   Unemployment  0,80%      10,4    (1300*0,8%)
                          Subtotal    263,9

  Taxable-Subtotal                            1036,1     (1300-263,9)
  Factor (range 2)                               155,42   (1036,1*0,15)
  Factor-Discount=TAX                         55,42   (155,42-100)

   TAX         55,42

   TOTAL                              319,32     (263,9+55,42)

   Taxable+Tax-free            1500
   Deductions                       -319,32

    TOTAL SALARY                1180,69

Table de Factors and Discounts

Range     From     To      Factor     Discount
1             0           500
2             500       999    0,1          50
3             1000     1499  0,15        100
4             1500     1999  0,2          300

NOTE
1) The porcent of health and pension system may be variable, depend
with system you contract.
2) May be more items in Taxable and in Tax-free.
3) The table of factors and discount change every month and It is
provided by the Tax Authority

I agree with BJ, more of this task are accounting. At this moment I
have company, tax authority and employee parties created, I'm trying
to understand and make a relationship between this parties, then I
will create the partie and roles of health system, pension system,
unemployment insurange.

Thanks a lot!!

Daniel

2006/7/17, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:

> As a wild, wild guess--did you create the roles for your parties
> first, before trying to create a relationship between them?
>
> In general, please furnish more details about what happened.  It's
> very hard to figure out what is happening from so far away.
>

> On Jul 17, 2006, at 10:50 AM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:
>
> > I´m tring to assign a Employee to a Company,I tried do it with
> > relationships, but I couldn´t do it, can you help me??
> >
> > 2006/7/14, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> The TaxAuthority model with all the related entities should allow you
> >> to do that.

> >> new
> >> assigned by
> >> new

Re: Employee pay

Si Chen-2
As a very quick look, you'll want to set up your company and your
employees as Party, PartyGroup/Person, and a PartyRole of Internal
Organization and Employee, then a PartyRelationship of employment.
Then you'd want to set up your employment tax agency as a Party and a
TaxAuthority.  There should probably be some PartyRelationship
between the tax agency and the company and the employee.  We'll
probably need a new entity for TaxAuthority_ similar to
TaxAuthorityRateProduct to model the tax rates for paychecks.  Then,
when you pay your employees, there should be a service to do the
withholding.

If this is something you're going to work on and contribute back to
the project, we could probably help you with some of it.

Si

On Jul 18, 2006, at 9:09 AM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:

> [...]
> provided by the Tax Authority
>

> I agree with BJ, more of this task are accounting. At this moment I
> have company, tax authority and employee parties created, I'm trying
> to understand and make a relationship between this parties, then I
> will create the partie and roles of health system, pension system,
> unemployment insurange.
>
> Thanks a lot!!
>
> Daniel
>
> 2006/7/17, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:
>> As a wild, wild guess--did you create the roles for your parties
>> first, before trying to create a relationship between them?
>>
>> In general, please furnish more details about what happened.  It's
>> very hard to figure out what is happening from so far away.
>>

>> On Jul 17, 2006, at 10:50 AM, Daniel Carrasco wrote:
>>
>> > I´m tring to assign a Employee to a Company,I tried do it with
>> > relationships, but I couldn´t do it, can you help me??

Re: Employee pay

Adrian Crum
Si,

I know this is jumping way ahead, but I spend a lot of time working on our
payroll software here and I hope to inject some guidance before things progress
too far.

On withholding taxes, the Internal Organization should be tied to a Geo ID, and
whatever service is used to calculate withholding should be able to look up the
calculation routine for that particular Geo ID.

Our current non-OFBiz payroll software accomodates up to four withholding
calculations: federal, state, and two local. In Southern California, we only use
federal and state. Other states and countries would have different calculation
methods. So bottom line - the service has to be able to pick out the right
calculation routine(s) based upon where the employee worked.

Getting a payroll component included in OFBiz would benefit us here, but keeping
up with tax laws can be a problem.

Si Chen wrote:

> [...]
>> with system you contract.
>> 2) May be more items in Taxable and in Tax-free.
>> 3) The table of factors and discount change every month and It is
>> provided by the Tax Authority
>>

>> I agree with BJ, more of this task are accounting. At this moment I
>> have company, tax authority and employee parties created, I'm trying
>> to understand and make a relationship between this parties, then I
>> will create the partie and roles of health system, pension system,
>> unemployment insurange.
>>
>> Thanks a lot!!
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> 2006/7/17, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> As a wild, wild guess--did you create the roles for your parties
>>> first, before trying to create a relationship between them?
>>>
>>> In general, please furnish more details about what happened.  It's
>>> very hard to figure out what is happening from so far away.

Re: Employee pay

Daniel Carrasco
Thanks Si,

The idea is contribute back to the project, the rest of the week I
will be offline, I will start this work the next monday.

bye and thanks

On 7/18/06, Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > with system you contract.
> > 2) May be more items in Taxable and in Tax-free.
> > 3) The table of factors and discount change every month and It is
> > provided by the Tax Authority
> >

> > I agree with BJ, more of this task are accounting. At this moment I
> > have company, tax authority and employee parties created, I'm trying
> > to understand and make a relationship between this parties, then I
> > will create the partie and roles of health system, pension system,
> > unemployment insurange.
> >
> > Thanks a lot!!
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > 2006/7/17, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:
> >> As a wild, wild guess--did you create the roles for your parties
> >> first, before trying to create a relationship between them?
> >>
> >> In general, please furnish more details about what happened.  It's
> >> very hard to figure out what is happening from so far away.

Re: Employee pay

Bogdan Susala

As in the case of Adrian, we see here, in Romania, the same behaviour:
payroll calculation is treated separately through semi-independent
modules or even totally separated software. This is due to the
complexity of taxes (i.e., through a formula of x + y%, where x is fixed
amount depending on specific ranges, plus other health taxes and zillion
other taxes, each % or through ranges - a nightmare).

I know this might be cumbersome and time consuming, but I suggest the
community the creation of a separate module, able to offer to the
user/integrator to construct themselves the formulas to be used. To
offer the user to customize the screen, online, without actually writing
code: "add field", "add formula", "add range" etc. I suppose this way we
will skip the immense problem of correlating the legal issues specific
to each country - which is very problematic if even one dollar is
miscalculated - you know, syndicates etc. You cannot play with
employees' money  and taxes :). In this respect, the legal
responsibility for each country use will not be Ofbiz's, but of the
user/integrator's.

As a complete package, Ofbiz will gather a tremendous amount of sympathy
from accounting people if there would be an integrated payroll
calculation module.

 From my part, I can contribute to the specifics of Romania, in order to
find a common pattern of constructing formulas. In September-October,
after my colleagues are more confortable with Ofbiz code, we can also
provide coding work, also.

Bogdan Susala

Re: Employee pay

David E Jones-2

The current TaxAuthority data model is meant to cover more than just sales taxes and should be a good starting point for income taxes, government forced "retirement withholdings" (aka fun with money Ponzi style), and so on. Something separate would probably be needed to model other withholdings such as company pension and healthcare plans, and so on.

In general with OFBiz the intent is to do what you describe: provide a data model and general calculation services but the configuration, and indeed all use of the code, is the responsibility of the user or service provider working for the user.

-David

Bogdan Susala wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As in the case of Adrian, we see here, in Romania, the same behaviour:
> payroll calculation is treated separately through semi-independent
> modules or even totally separated software. This is due to the
> complexity of taxes (i.e., through a formula of x + y%, where x is fixed
> amount depending on specific ranges, plus other health taxes and zillion
> other taxes, each % or through ranges - a nightmare).
>
> I know this might be cumbersome and time consuming, but I suggest the
> community the creation of a separate module, able to offer to the
> user/integrator to construct themselves the formulas to be used. To
> offer the user to customize the screen, online, without actually writing
> code: "add field", "add formula", "add range" etc. I suppose this way we
> will skip the immense problem of correlating the legal issues specific
> to each country - which is very problematic if even one dollar is
> miscalculated - you know, syndicates etc. You cannot play with
> employees' money  and taxes :). In this respect, the legal
> responsibility for each country use will not be Ofbiz's, but of the
> user/integrator's.
>
> As a complete package, Ofbiz will gather a tremendous amount of sympathy
> from accounting people if there would be an integrated payroll
> calculation module.
>
>  From my part, I can contribute to the specifics of Romania, in order to
> find a common pattern of constructing formulas. In September-October,
> after my colleagues are more confortable with Ofbiz code, we can also
> provide coding work, also.
>
> Bogdan Susala

Re: Employee pay

Bogdan Susala
David E. Jones wrote:
> In general with OFBiz the intent is to do what you describe: provide a
> data model and general calculation services but the configuration, and
> indeed all use of the code, is the responsibility of the user or
> service provider working for the user.

This gave me one insight related to marketing of OfBiz: I think it
should be excellent if there are "big shot" implementations, in Europe
or elsewhere, to be promoted in the frontline of our marketing (site
etc.) that states compliancy with GAAP/IAS. Meaning that, Ofbiz, by its
structure and standard compliancy (whatever they may be), leads (or
permits) GAAP/IAS conformity.

All in all, (whatever rock-solid implementation the implementer sells),
the final client wants to know some certificates and is very sensible to
this third-party compliancy, especially on the legal/regulatory side.

All major success stories of Ofbiz should or will have this kind of
compliancy requirement. "GAAP/IAS Compliant" should be stated
everywhere, near ofbiz's name.

Regards,
Bogdan Susala
[hidden email]