Error rendering pages.

rohit
hi.

i am getiing the follwing error at random:

org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/CatalogScreens.xml#category]: org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#main-decorator]: org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#rightbar]: org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]: java.lang.NullPointerException (null) (Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]: java.lang.NullPointerException (null)) (Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#rightbar]: org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]: java.lang.NullPointerException (null) (Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]: java.lang.NullPointerException (null))) (Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#main-decorator]: org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#rightbar]: org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]: java.lang.NullPointerException (null) (Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]: java.lang.NullPointerException (null)) (Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#rightbar]: org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]: java.lang.NullPointerException (null) (Error rendering screen [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]: java.lang.NullPointerException (null))))

i guess the error has something to do with the fact infornmation in the dataresources. i tried editing the fact ID;s removing the fact ID from the contents, but nothing worked. Can some please advice of how to tackle the problem. I would not mind not shoeing this at all until the problem is resolved, so if there is a way to remove it from being displayed at altogether please do let me know.

Thanks,

rohit

Re: Users - Error rendering pages.

BJ Freeman
what version of ofbiz?
did you follow the setup manual?

rohit2006 sent the following on 6/9/06 7:58 AM:

> hi.
>
> i am getiing the follwing error at random:

> org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/CatalogScreens.xml#category]:
> org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#main-decorator]:
> org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#rightbar]:
> org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]:
> java.lang.NullPointerException (null) (Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]:
> java.lang.NullPointerException (null)) (Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#rightbar]:
> org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]:
> java.lang.NullPointerException (null) (Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]:
> java.lang.NullPointerException (null))) (Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#main-decorator]:
> org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#rightbar]:
> org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]:
> java.lang.NullPointerException (null) (Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]:
> java.lang.NullPointerException (null)) (Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/CommonScreens.xml#rightbar]:
> org.ofbiz.base.util.GeneralException: Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]:
> java.lang.NullPointerException (null) (Error rendering screen
> [component://ecommerce/widget/ContentScreens.xml#factoids]:
> java.lang.NullPointerException (null))))

> i guess the error has something to do with the fact infornmation in the
> dataresources. i tried editing the fact ID;s removing the fact ID from the
> contents, but nothing worked. Can some please advice of how to tackle the
> problem. I would not mind not shoeing this at all until the problem is
> resolved, so if there is a way to remove it from being displayed at
> altogether please do let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> rohit

Re: Users - Error rendering pages.

rohit
hi,

i am using SVN 7685.  I guess the installtion was fine, since i have been using it for weeks withour any major hitch. The problem arose when i edited the FACT_2 resource ID. i had updated the default text to what i wanted. i currently seem to have solved the problem. The text that i have inserted included puntuation marks such as " ' , etc. This seemed to have caused some problem. i am not sure if we cannot include these in the text, but when i disabled the this particular entry it worked fine. Maybe someone can check if there are limitations to what characters we can use when we use the content manager.

rohit

Re: Users - Error rendering pages.

BJ Freeman
That is a standard database error. the only way to cure it is to have it
  escaped before putting it in the database.
this should be automatic, but till it is then use
&#145
if you do a search on Google for
html apostrophe
you will find charts of these.

rohit2006 sent the following on 6/9/06 11:25 PM:

> hi,
>
> i am using SVN 7685.  I guess the installtion was fine, since i have been
> using it for weeks withour any major hitch. The problem arose when i edited
> the FACT_2 resource ID. i had updated the default text to what i wanted. i
> currently seem to have solved the problem. The text that i have inserted
> included puntuation marks such as " ' , etc. This seemed to have caused some
> problem. i am not sure if we cannot include these in the text, but when i
> disabled the this particular entry it worked fine. Maybe someone can check
> if there are limitations to what characters we can use when we use the
> content manager.
>
> rohit

Re: Users - Error rendering pages.

G.Venkata Phanindra
Hi  Freeman and others ....
 I was also facing this problm from many day and  i left that part aside as i couldnot solve the same......I want to know, cannot we automate the process of escaping the charecters before they are inserted into the Data base .......please tell me ways in which i can do this. ....
the only reason is in genral content Writting or editting this may turn up as a Source stopper .....espically try to create static Content Pages using CMS..
Phani

On 6/10/06, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is a standard database error. the only way to cure it is to have it
  escaped before putting it in the database.
this should be automatic, but till it is then use
&#145
if you do a search on Google for
html apostrophe
you will find charts of these.

rohit2006 sent the following on 6/9/06 11:25 PM:

> hi,
>
> i am using SVN 7685.  I guess the installtion was fine, since i have been
> using it for weeks withour any major hitch. The problem arose when i edited
> the FACT_2 resource ID. i had updated the default text to what i wanted. i
> currently seem to have solved the problem. The text that i have inserted
> included puntuation marks such as " ' , etc. This seemed to have caused some
> problem. i am not sure if we cannot include these in the text, but when i
> disabled the this particular entry it worked fine. Maybe someone can check
> if there are limitations to what characters we can use when we use the
> content manager.
>
> rohit

G.Venkata Phanindra
Mob:: 9849852989

Re: Users - Error rendering pages.

BJ Freeman
Hopefully Hans, who is currently working with the Content module will
pick up on this.
you can create a Jira. go to the ofbiz.org site and click on the Jira link.
YOu can trace the code that does this and do a patch that can considered.

G.Venkata Phanindra sent the following on 6/10/06 1:54 AM:

> Hi  Freeman and others ....
> I was also facing this problm from many day and  i left that part aside as
> i couldnot solve the same......I want to know, cannot we automate the
> process of escaping the charecters before they are inserted into the Data
> base .......please tell me ways in which i can do this. ....
> the only reason is in genral content Writting or editting this may turn up
> as a Source stopper .....espically try to create static Content Pages using
> CMS..
> Phani
>
> On 6/10/06, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> That is a standard database error. the only way to cure it is to have it
>>   escaped before putting it in the database.
>> this should be automatic, but till it is then use
>> &#145
>> if you do a search on Google for
>> html apostrophe
>> you will find charts of these.
>>

>> rohit2006 sent the following on 6/9/06 11:25 PM:
>> > hi,
>> >
>> > i am using SVN 7685.  I guess the installtion was fine, since i have
>> been
>> > using it for weeks withour any major hitch. The problem arose when i
>> edited
>> > the FACT_2 resource ID. i had updated the default text to what i
>> wanted.
>> > currently seem to have solved the problem. The text that i have
>> inserted
>> > included puntuation marks such as " ' , etc. This seemed to have caused
>> some
>> > problem. i am not sure if we cannot include these in the text, but when
>> > disabled the this particular entry it worked fine. Maybe someone can
>> check
>> > if there are limitations to what characters we can use when we use the
>> > content manager.
>> >
>> > rohit

Re: Users - Error rendering pages.

Just one point : you can no more create an issue on
http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/
you have to go on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ

Jacques