Facility manager

v. sunder anand
Dear All,

I walked through the 'facility manager' and observed that it would be too
many functions for my porposed inventory application. I would just need the
following functions, I am trying to put together a POC for myself to get a
hang on OFbiz.

- create facility
    - create location
        - receive inventory
        - txfr inventory
        - receive return
- Shipments
   - incoming
   - outgoing

I have chosen OFbiz because my need has just started with 'inventory' and
will continue to grow and will need other entities such as a Hr/payroll,
Products configuration etc

Please give your suggestion / best practice /approach / directions to get
started. I am certain about developing it with OFbiz. Thanks.

Regards,
V.Sunder Anand

Re: Facility manager

Jim Barrows
What I would do, is modify what was there down to what I thought I
needed.  At some point someone needed all that functionality, and you
might as well.
I would create a new management app called "My Facility", with just
the UI that I wanted, and call the existing code.  I would just mimick
what was already working.
This would not only give you what you want, but also provide an
upgrade path.  It would also allow you to trace into the code and see
it all hangs together etc.

James A Barrows

Re: Facility manager

v. sunder anand
Thanks Jim,

I think I can do that, since I recently graduated from helloworld apps, I will trace the 'facility manager' pull it out and put it in hot-deploy dir.

What I wonder is won't it break the app flow and dependencies if I pick&choose the menu out of order?. Let me face it

Regards,
V.Sunder anand

James A Barrows

Re: Facility manager

Jim Barrows
Maybe you'll break stuff.. maybe not.. However, if your more
interested in learning ofbiz, what better way then to break it in new
and unusual ways :)
II would only pull out the UI.  Leave everything else in place.  You
might end up hard coding values you don't have an interest in.

James A Barrows

Re: Facility manager

Adrian Crum
You can also take a look at the applications in the specialpurpose folder. All of those are
derivatives of the main code base. They are good examples of how to build a custom UI on top of
existing code.

-Adrian

v. sunder anand wrote:

> Thanks Jim,
>
> I think I can do that, since I recently graduated from helloworld apps, I will trace the 'facility manager' pull it out and put it in hot-deploy dir.
>
> What I wonder is won't it break the app flow and dependencies if I pick&choose the menu out of order?. Let me face it
>
> Regards,
> V.Sunder anand

Re: Facility manager

v. sunder anand
Thanks Adrian,
the tag 'specialpurpose' kept me away all these days. I tried cms, hhfacility but could'nt get oagis to work. How do I try it.
Regards,
V.Sunder anand

v. sunder anand wrote:

> Thanks Jim,
>
> I think I can do that, since I recently graduated from helloworld apps, I will trace the 'facility manager' pull it out and put it in hot-deploy dir.
>
> What I wonder is won't it break the app flow and dependencies if I pick&choose the menu out of order?. Let me face it
>
> Regards,
> V.Sunder anand

Re: Facility manager

Adrian Crum