Formatting Guidelines question

Adrian Crum
I read the section on code formatting guidelines and I agree with the Sun Java
coding guidelines for Java code.

The problem is with ftl files. Using 4 space indentation with nested HTML
elements within nested freemarker conditionals adds up to 30 to 40 character
indentations. Can't we accept two space indentation for ftl files?

Re: Formatting Guidelines question

jonwimp
+1

That's my personal "formatting guidelines" for years now. For UIs like HTML, FTL, XML. Even for
codes (PHP, Perl, C/C++, Lisp, etc), if I wasn't working in a team that followed other
space-indentation policies.

About the 4-space Java indentation, I think it's not too big. Always good to force programmers to
UN-NEST their codes (eg, straighten out deeply nested 'if' conditional blocks).

Jonathon

Adrian Crum wrote:
> I read the section on code formatting guidelines and I agree with the
> Sun Java coding guidelines for Java code.
>
> The problem is with ftl files. Using 4 space indentation with nested
> HTML elements within nested freemarker conditionals adds up to 30 to 40
> character indentations. Can't we accept two space indentation for ftl
> files?

Re: Formatting Guidelines question

Adrian, Jonathon,

2 spaces indentation is "allowed" and often used in FTL OFBiz files. Besides it's said in
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Coding+Conventions :
<<(note some HTML/FTL files may use 2 spaces instead of 4, but they should all really use 4 spaces).>>

Jacques