Framework/Webapp Component

Adrian Crum
I noticed there are a lot of JPublish rendering classes in the framework/webapp component. Are we
still developing for JPublish?

-Adrian

Re: Framework/Webapp Component

Scott Gray
Hi Adrian

http://www.nabble.com/ofbiz-screen-widget-v.-jpublish-tf4103795.html#a11685657

I think you could safely remove them if you were so inclined.

Regards
Scott

On 16/11/2007, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed there are a lot of JPublish rendering classes in the
> framework/webapp component. Are we
> still developing for JPublish?
>
> -Adrian

Re: Framework/Webapp Component

David E Jones

The intent has been to leave this for those who are really into
JPublish, or if there is an update to the project so we can make it
available again. In other words, there are certain JPublish fans out
there who might want to use it even though it's not a best practice
for OFBiz.

We could toss it and let people get it out of an old SVN revision...

Does anyone have strong feelings about this?

-David

On Nov 17, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi Adrian
>
> http://www.nabble.com/ofbiz-screen-widget-v.-jpublish-tf4103795.html#a11685657
>
> I think you could safely remove them if you were so inclined.
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 16/11/2007, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I noticed there are a lot of JPublish rendering classes in the
>> framework/webapp component. Are we
>> still developing for JPublish?
>>
>> -Adrian

Re: Framework/Webapp Component

Tim Ruppert
You know me - a fan of backward compatibility.  I'd say unless there's
a super compelling reason - like there really aren't any JPublish fans
out there (if you're out there - twould be great if you could give us
a holler) - then I'd say just leave it in.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

On Nov 17, 2007, at 5:47 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> The intent has been to leave this for those who are really into
> JPublish, or if there is an update to the project so we can make it
> available again. In other words, there are certain JPublish fans out
> there who might want to use it even though it's not a best practice
> for OFBiz.
>
> We could toss it and let people get it out of an old SVN revision...
>
> Does anyone have strong feelings about this?
>
> -David
>

> On Nov 17, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
>
>> Hi Adrian
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/ofbiz-screen-widget-v.-jpublish-tf4103795.html#a11685657
>>
>> I think you could safely remove them if you were so inclined.
>>
>> Regards
>> Scott
>>
>> On 16/11/2007, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed there are a lot of JPublish rendering classes in the
>>> framework/webapp component. Are we
>>> still developing for JPublish?
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Re: Framework/Webapp Component

Yes I agree no hurry for now... (and less work Adrian ;o)

Jacques

De : "Tim Ruppert" <[hidden email]>

> You know me - a fan of backward compatibility.  I'd say unless there's
> a super compelling reason - like there really aren't any JPublish fans
> out there (if you're out there - twould be great if you could give us
> a holler) - then I'd say just leave it in.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6595
>

> On Nov 17, 2007, at 5:47 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>

> > The intent has been to leave this for those who are really into
> > JPublish, or if there is an update to the project so we can make it
> > available again. In other words, there are certain JPublish fans out
> > there who might want to use it even though it's not a best practice
> > for OFBiz.
> >
> > We could toss it and let people get it out of an old SVN revision...
> >
> > Does anyone have strong feelings about this?
> >
> > -David
> >

> > On Nov 17, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Adrian
> >>
> >> http://www.nabble.com/ofbiz-screen-widget-v.-jpublish-tf4103795.html#a11685657
> >>
> >> I think you could safely remove them if you were so inclined.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Scott

Re: Framework/Webapp Component

Adrian Crum
I don't have a strong opinion. I asked because of the FOP refactoring I'm working on - I need to
know if I should update the FOP-JPublish classes. I also noticed the Freemarker-JPublish classes
aren't using the refactored FreeMarkerWorker class, so those need to be updated as well.

I could update the affected JPublish classes, but then I don't know how to test the changes.

-Adrian

David E Jones wrote:

> The intent has been to leave this for those who are really into
> JPublish, or if there is an update to the project so we can make it
> available again. In other words, there are certain JPublish fans out
> there who might want to use it even though it's not a best practice  for
> OFBiz.
>
> We could toss it and let people get it out of an old SVN revision...
>
> Does anyone have strong feelings about this?
>
> -David
>

> On Nov 17, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
>
>> Hi Adrian
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/ofbiz-screen-widget-v.-jpublish-tf4103795.html#a11685657
>>

>> I think you could safely remove them if you were so inclined.
>>
>> Regards
>> Scott
>>
>> On 16/11/2007, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I noticed there are a lot of JPublish rendering classes in the
>>> framework/webapp component. Are we
>>> still developing for JPublish?
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Re: Framework/Webapp Component

Jacopo Cappellato
Adrian,

Adrian Crum wrote:
> I don't have a strong opinion. I asked because of the FOP refactoring
> I'm working on - I need to know if I should update the FOP-JPublish
> classes. I also noticed the Freemarker-JPublish classes aren't using the
> refactored FreeMarkerWorker class, so those need to be updated as well.
>
> I could update the affected JPublish classes, but then I don't know how
> to test the changes.

For old stuff like this, that is not used by the code in the trunk, an
acceptable approach is to verify if the code compiles... you shouldn't
worry too much about testing it.

Jacopo

> -Adrian
>
> David E Jones wrote:
>

>> The intent has been to leave this for those who are really into
>> JPublish, or if there is an update to the project so we can make it
>> available again. In other words, there are certain JPublish fans out
>> there who might want to use it even though it's not a best practice
>> for OFBiz.
>>
>> We could toss it and let people get it out of an old SVN revision...
>>
>> Does anyone have strong feelings about this?
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Nov 17, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Adrian
>>>
>>> http://www.nabble.com/ofbiz-screen-widget-v.-jpublish-tf4103795.html#a11685657
>>>

>>> I think you could safely remove them if you were so inclined.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Scott

Re: Framework/Webapp Component

Adrian Crum
Thanks Jacopo! I will go ahead and update the classes then. I imagine anyone using them will report
any bugs, and those can be fixed at that time.

-Adrian

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> I don't have a strong opinion. I asked because of the FOP refactoring
>> I'm working on - I need to know if I should update the FOP-JPublish
>> classes. I also noticed the Freemarker-JPublish classes aren't using
>> the refactored FreeMarkerWorker class, so those need to be updated as
>> well.
>>
>> I could update the affected JPublish classes, but then I don't know
>> how to test the changes.
>>

> For old stuff like this, that is not used by the code in the trunk, an
> acceptable approach is to verify if the code compiles... you shouldn't
> worry too much about testing it.
>
> Jacopo
>

>> -Adrian
>>
>> David E Jones wrote:
>>

>>> The intent has been to leave this for those who are really into
>>> JPublish, or if there is an update to the project so we can make it
>>> available again. In other words, there are certain JPublish fans out
>>> there who might want to use it even though it's not a best practice
>>> for OFBiz.
>>>
>>> We could toss it and let people get it out of an old SVN revision...
>>>
>>> Does anyone have strong feelings about this?
>>>
>>> -David

Re: Framework/Webapp Component

David E Jones

The reason that JPublish was removed from OFBiz was that the latest
version was pretty old and wouldn't work with certain other libraries
we wanted to use.

In other words, I don't think it will even be possible to compile
without jiggering some things around...

You could update and comment on the dilemma, or even just let them be,
or just remove them if they are becoming more "incorrect" over time as
things around them are refactored.

-David

On Nov 19, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> Thanks Jacopo! I will go ahead and update the classes then. I
> imagine anyone using them will report any bugs, and those can be
> fixed at that time.
>
> -Adrian
>
> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Adrian,
>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>> I don't have a strong opinion. I asked because of the FOP
>>> refactoring I'm working on - I need to know if I should update the
>>> FOP-JPublish classes. I also noticed the Freemarker-JPublish
>>> classes aren't using the refactored FreeMarkerWorker class, so
>>> those need to be updated as well.
>>>
>>> I could update the affected JPublish classes, but then I don't
>>> know how to test the changes.
>>>
>> For old stuff like this, that is not used by the code in the trunk,
>> an acceptable approach is to verify if the code compiles... you
>> shouldn't worry too much about testing it.
>> Jacopo
>>> -Adrian

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment