GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

Hi all,

I want to create a new functionnality to quickly produce GIF or PNG Products BarCodes images usgin Barcode4j.
I want to add a new menu option that may be used after for more functionnalties from Catalog/Product .

I know that Barcode4j is already used in PDF generation however I'm not aware of any use for gif/png generation on the fly in OFBiz.
Is there alerady such functionnality somewhere hidden ?

Actually this is a 1st step toward a tool (in Webtools certainly) to generate massive products barcodes for catalog(s) using  such
templates
as in http://www.worldlabel.com/ (hoping to use http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/openoffice-template.htm not sure just a plan for
now)

Re: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

David E Jones-2

Why do you want images for the barcodes? Is this for something other
than a printed document, so the current SVG stuff in an XSL:FO file
won't work for you?

-David

On Dec 18, 2006, at 6:56 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to create a new functionnality to quickly produce GIF or PNG
> Products BarCodes images usgin Barcode4j.
> I want to add a new menu option that may be used after for more
> functionnalties from Catalog/Product .
>
> I know that Barcode4j is already used in PDF generation however I'm
> not aware of any use for gif/png generation on the fly in OFBiz.
> Is there alerady such functionnality somewhere hidden ?
>
> Actually this is a 1st step toward a tool (in Webtools certainly)
> to generate massive products barcodes for catalog(s) using  such
> templates
> as in http://www.worldlabel.com/ (hoping to use http://
> www.worldlabel.com/Pages/openoffice-template.htm not sure just a
> plan for
> now)

Re: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

It may be useful sometime to have a *quick* generation of a barcode.
For instance to make some test with the POS. But yes maybe current SVG stuff in an XSL:FO file  is enough for such an use
A prospective customer also asked for this. He even suggested to use a commercial tool before I explained that we were already using
Barcode4j.
It seemed that he wanted to show barcodes on screen hence the gif/png question.

So I presume your response is : no ;o)

Thanks David

Jacques

> Why do you want images for the barcodes? Is this for something other
> than a printed document, so the current SVG stuff in an XSL:FO file
> won't work for you?
>
> -David
>

> On Dec 18, 2006, at 6:56 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to create a new functionnality to quickly produce GIF or PNG
> > Products BarCodes images usgin Barcode4j.
> > I want to add a new menu option that may be used after for more
> > functionnalties from Catalog/Product .
> >
> > I know that Barcode4j is already used in PDF generation however I'm
> > not aware of any use for gif/png generation on the fly in OFBiz.
> > Is there alerady such functionnality somewhere hidden ?
> >
> > Actually this is a 1st step toward a tool (in Webtools certainly)
> > to generate massive products barcodes for catalog(s) using  such
> > templates
> > as in http://www.worldlabel.com/ (hoping to use http://
> > www.worldlabel.com/Pages/openoffice-template.htm not sure just a
> > plan for
> > now)
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jacques

Re: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

cjhowe
I'm not in front of anything to look at the jar that
comes with the fo edition of barcode4j, but the
underlying api that you would want to be using can be
found here:

http://barcode4j.krysalis.org/javadocs/index.html

I can't imagine them changing this underlying portion,
so it should be available to you even when not
invoking the xsl:fo.

--- Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It may be useful sometime to have a *quick*
> generation of a barcode.
> For instance to make some test with the POS. But yes
> maybe current SVG stuff in an XSL:FO file  is enough
> for such an use
> A prospective customer also asked for this. He even
> suggested to use a commercial tool before I
> explained that we were already using
> Barcode4j.
> It seemed that he wanted to show barcodes on screen
> hence the gif/png question.
>
> So I presume your response is : no ;o)
>
> Thanks David
>
> Jacques

Andrew Ballantine
Why on earth would anyone want to display barcodes on the screen, since the
only purpose of a barcode is to provide machine readable data by scanning? I
don't think a scanner will work scanning a screen.

Or is there a new generation of computer user that can read barcodes without
a scanner? ;-)

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

> Why do you want images for the barcodes? Is this for something other
> than a printed document, so the current SVG stuff in an XSL:FO file
> won't work for you?
>
> -David
>

> On Dec 18, 2006, at 6:56 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to create a new functionnality to quickly produce GIF or PNG
> > Products BarCodes images usgin Barcode4j.
> > I want to add a new menu option that may be used after for more
> > functionnalties from Catalog/Product .
> >
> > I know that Barcode4j is already used in PDF generation however I'm
> > not aware of any use for gif/png generation on the fly in OFBiz.
> > Is there alerady such functionnality somewhere hidden ?
> >
> > Actually this is a 1st step toward a tool (in Webtools certainly)
> > to generate massive products barcodes for catalog(s) using  such
> > templates
> > as in http://www.worldlabel.com/ (hoping to use http://
> > www.worldlabel.com/Pages/openoffice-template.htm not sure just a
> > plan for
> > now)
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jacques

13:45

RE: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

cjhowe
While this isn't the reason why Jacques is currently
needing an on screen barcode solution, there are at
least a couple reasons why you would want it.

1) Send as part of an image proof to your package
printer
2) http://www.mobiletag.com/beta/en/

Barcodes aren't just for breakfast anymore ;)

--- Andrew Ballantine <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Why on earth would anyone want to display barcodes
> on the screen, since the
> only purpose of a barcode is to provide machine
> readable data by scanning? I
> don't think a scanner will work scanning a screen.
>
> Or is there a new generation of computer user that
> can read barcodes without
> a scanner? ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

Chandresh Turakhia
mobile banking and retailing....

My company has joined hands with WalMart in India. We are
largest telecom operator here.

It is envisased that in the store people will not ask
questions about products as it is common in India but Put
their mobile next to the product and the mobile will get
info for the same.

Same User at home can research the product on the internet
and check about the same.

How does the user keep track . He will not want to keyin
information of the research product. All he does it takes
pic of the barcode.

Basically Mobile - becomes mobile info ; device to pass
around temporary data. Universal Product code etc is new to
India but scanned image of the product id is desirable both
on the mobile site and web site..

It seems in taiwan, people place their mobiles next to the
advertising board and mobile captures the barcode- gets
stored as "Wish List", buzzes u when u r in the retail
store. :)

Please it is not futuristic ...... It is going to be
project to be done ASAP. Large vendor is contacted for the
same; newpaper said.

Chand

> Why on earth would anyone want to display barcodes on the
screen, since the
> only purpose of a barcode is to provide machine readable
data by scanning? I
> don't think a scanner will work scanning a screen.
>
> Or is there a new generation of computer user that can
read barcodes without
> a scanner? ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

Release Date: 18/12/2006
> 13:45

Release Date: 18/12/2006
> 13:45

*****
Mailcontroller Service

*****

http://www.bhartitelesoft.com
Telecommunication and E-Commerce solutions for the future.

RE: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

Chandresh Turakhia
mobile banking and retailing....

My company has joined hands with WalMart in India. We are
largest telecom operator here.

It is envisased that in the store people will not ask
questions about products as it is common in India but Put
their mobile next to the product and the mobile will get
info for the same.

Same User at home can research the product on the internet
and check about the same.

How does the user keep track . He will not want to keyin
information of the research product. All he does it takes
pic of the barcode.

Basically Mobile - becomes mobile info ; device to pass
around temporary data. Universal Product code etc is new to
India but scanned image of the product id is desirable both
on the mobile site and web site..

It seems in taiwan, people place their mobiles next to the
advertising board and mobile captures the barcode- gets
stored as "Wish List", buzzes u when u r in the retail
store. :)

Please it is not futuristic ...... It is going to be
project to be done ASAP. Large vendor is contacted for the
same; newpaper said.

Chand

> Why on earth would anyone want to display barcodes on the
screen, since the
> only purpose of a barcode is to provide machine readable
data by scanning? I
> don't think a scanner will work scanning a screen.
>
> Or is there a new generation of computer user that can
read barcodes without
> a scanner? ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

Release Date: 18/12/2006
> 13:45

Release Date: 18/12/2006
> 13:45

*****
Mailcontroller Service

*****

http://www.bhartitelesoft.com
Telecommunication and E-Commerce solutions for the future.

Re: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

Thanks for your kind support Chris :o)

Jacques

> While this isn't the reason why Jacques is currently
> needing an on screen barcode solution, there are at
> least a couple reasons why you would want it.
>
> 1) Send as part of an image proof to your package
> printer
> 2) http://www.mobiletag.com/beta/en/
>
> Barcodes aren't just for breakfast anymore ;)
>
> --- Andrew Ballantine <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Why on earth would anyone want to display barcodes
> > on the screen, since the
> > only purpose of a barcode is to provide machine
> > readable data by scanning? I
> > don't think a scanner will work scanning a screen.
> >
> > Or is there a new generation of computer user that
> > can read barcodes without
> > a scanner? ;-)
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Andrew Ballantine.

In France we have a saying : "Le client a toujours raison !"
I let you translate ;o)

I'm not sure for not scanning on screen, will try with my poor man scanner (Zebex 80) and my beautiful 20" Dell Flat Screen :o)

Jacques

> Why on earth would anyone want to display barcodes on the screen, since the
> only purpose of a barcode is to provide machine readable data by scanning? I
> don't think a scanner will work scanning a screen.
>
> Or is there a new generation of computer user that can read barcodes without
> a scanner? ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

OK, I hadn't considered that one would be generating artwork from within
ofbiz.
I will endeavour to broaden my outlook in future.

Kind regards,

Andrew

13:45

RE: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

Andrew Ballantine
Chris,

re: 2) http://www.mobiletag.com/beta/en/

It is interesting to see that they have at last found an end-user use for
the 2-dimensional bar code that is at least 15 years old now. I remembered
Symbol demonstrating them to me then. I tried to get several clients to use
2-dimensional barcodes because of the huge amount of data they can
potentially store, but 15 years ago we couldn't get any takers.

Still not sure whether they will scan off the screen or are they using
camera technology for these mobile tags.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

wrote:

> Why on earth would anyone want to display barcodes
> on the screen, since the
> only purpose of a barcode is to provide machine
> readable data by scanning? I
> don't think a scanner will work scanning a screen.
>
> Or is there a new generation of computer user that
> can read barcodes without
> a scanner? ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

13:45

Re: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

Ean Schuessler
On Tuesday 19 December 2006 08:27, Andrew Ballantine wrote:

> Why on earth would anyone want to display barcodes on the screen, since the
> only purpose of a barcode is to provide machine readable data by scanning?
> I don't think a scanner will work scanning a screen.
>
> Or is there a new generation of computer user that can read barcodes
> without a scanner? ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

GIF barcodes are very easy to put into an HTML CSS print format. FOs are quite
beyond the grasp of some people.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]
Brainfood, Inc.
http://www.brainfood.com

RE: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

Andrew Ballantine
Jacques,

Yes the client is always right, but that doesn't mean that we do not try to
change their perception if what they want will create a poor system. We can
also walk away from the project if we cannot agree. Please don't think that
I am inflexible, quite the contrary.
Anyway, I consider myself enlightened as to the possible uses of barcodes
and tags, so I am pleased that I asked the question.

I hope I am back on level ground again ;o) (Reference to digging holes)

Kind regards,

Andrew.

> Why on earth would anyone want to display barcodes on the screen, since
the
> only purpose of a barcode is to provide machine readable data by scanning?
> don't think a scanner will work scanning a screen.
>
> Or is there a new generation of computer user that can read barcodes
without

> a scanner? ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

18/12/2006
> 13:45

18/12/2006
> 13:45

13:45

Re: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

Wow, seems that India and Taiwan are running fast !

Jacques

> My company has joined hands with WalMart in India. We are
> largest telecom operator here.
>
> It is envisased that in the store people will not ask
> questions about products as it is common in India but Put
> their mobile next to the product and the mobile will get
> info for the same.
>
> Same User at home can research the product on the internet
> and check about the same.
>
> How does the user keep track . He will not want to keyin
> information of the research product. All he does it takes
> pic of the barcode.
>
> Basically Mobile - becomes mobile info ; device to pass
> around temporary data. Universal Product code etc is new to
> India but scanned image of the product id is desirable both
> on the mobile site and web site..
>
> It seems in taiwan, people place their mobiles next to the
> advertising board and mobile captures the barcode- gets
> stored as "Wish List", buzzes u when u r in the retail
> store. :)
>
> Please it is not futuristic ...... It is going to be
> project to be done ASAP. Large vendor is contacted for the
> same; newpaper said.
>
> Chand
>
> > Why on earth would anyone want to display barcodes on the
> screen, since the
> > only purpose of a barcode is to provide machine readable
> data by scanning? I
> > don't think a scanner will work scanning a screen.
> >
> > Or is there a new generation of computer user that can
> read barcodes without
> > a scanner? ;-)
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Andrew Ballantine.

I tested and yes my scanner is unable to read a barcode on screen. By curiosity, anybody has an idea why ? Do you think it's related
to my scanner or to the screen ?

> In France we have a saying : "Le client a toujours raison !"
> I let you translate ;o)
>
> I'm not sure for not scanning on screen, will try with my poor man scanner (Zebex 80) and my beautiful 20" Dell Flat Screen :o)
>
> Jacques

All a normal barcode scanner "does" is measure the
width of black lines.

wrote:

> I tested and yes my scanner is unable to read a
> barcode on screen. By curiosity, anybody has an idea
> why ? Do you think it's related
> to my scanner or to the screen ?

It may be that it scans paper/ink with a laser or something that
doesn't reflect the same way on a screen.

What it sounds like these guys are talking about is having cell
phones take a picture of the barcode or 2D barcode, and then do image
processing to get the barcode info. That would work fine on a screen.

-David

On Dec 20, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> I tested and yes my scanner is unable to read a barcode on screen.
> By curiosity, anybody has an idea why ? Do you think it's related
> to my scanner or to the screen ?

I think it is something to do with the difference between reflected light
and a light source. A scanner works by emitting light and seeing what is
reflected back. If the barcode is a light source then the scanner is going
to see too much, so to speak.

A camera on the other hand is designed to record received light as it comes
and therefore has a much better chance of recording the barcode which can
then be processed by some software to get the data. It would appear that the
web site that is promoting the new Tags is illustrating this with mobile
phone cameras.

So maybe we are about to enter a new era where we use camera technology to
process barcodes and tags. This has interesting implications in the
warehouse because we may soon be able to use a high-end mobile phone with a
keyboard, wifi and a camera instead of a highly expensive state of the ark
handheld terminal which is still using DOS. The argument that a mobile phone
is not as robust as a ruggedized handheld no longer adds up because you can
buy more than 10 mobile phones for the cost of one of these specialised
handhelds.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

I tested and yes my scanner is unable to read a barcode on screen. By
curiosity, anybody has an idea why ? Do you think it's related
to my scanner or to the screen ?

> In France we have a saying : "Le client a toujours raison !"
> I let you translate ;o)
>
> I'm not sure for not scanning on screen, will try with my poor man scanner
(Zebex 80) and my beautiful 20" Dell Flat Screen :o)

> Jacques

18/12/2006
> > 13:45
> >

> > --
18/12/2006
> > 13:45

15:54

Re: GIF or PNG Products BarCodes

Yes David,

As Andrew Ballantine suggested  they are surely using camera technology for these mobile tags. My scanner is a cheaper one (LCD) not
sure they are no scanner able to do that. Mmm, may be not because were we see black they "see" real pixels colors that our brain
transforms in black. Nevermind I found some problem wit my scanner on POS either on Windows and Linux. I also created an option on
Catalog/EditProduct to create a PDF with product barcode with a reasonnable size I will submit a patch. BTW why is the shipment
barcode so large ?

Jacques

From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>

> It may be that it scans paper/ink with a laser or something that
> doesn't reflect the same way on a screen.
>
> What it sounds like these guys are talking about is having cell
> phones take a picture of the barcode or 2D barcode, and then do image
> processing to get the barcode info. That would work fine on a screen.
>
> -David
>

> On Dec 20, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> > I tested and yes my scanner is unable to read a barcode on screen.
> > By curiosity, anybody has an idea why ? Do you think it's related
> > to my scanner or to the screen ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jacques

12