Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Hi

While committing r1760406  I wondered if I should really put semicolons at end of Groovy files lines.
We know it's useless in Groovy. Should we continue to put them, and if yes for which reasons?

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

taher
Agreed, I think it is better to remove semicolons for groovy files. In fact
our gradle scripts do not have semicolons. Perhaps people put them there
out of habit.

On Sep 12, 2016 7:56 PM, "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> While committing r1760406  I wondered if I should really put semicolons at
> end of Groovy files lines.
> We know it's useless in Groovy. Should we continue to put them, and if yes
> for which reasons?

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Rishi Solanki
I remember the conversion of bsh to groovy was big one, and at that time in
a conversation decided to keep the semicolon as is. For code consistency
and for java based user of OFBiz. Even bsh/groovy help java based users to
develop/understand OFBiz better.

I tried but could not find the reference to that conversation in history.
But yes we can address this code improvement and here I find something
related on OFBiz wiki -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=6553850

So +1 for this effort and we should remove all semicolons from groovy files.

Best Regards,
--
Rishi

Rishi Solanki
Manager, Enterprise Software Development
HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Direct: +91-9893287847
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:29 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed, I think it is better to remove semicolons for groovy files. In fact
> our gradle scripts do not have semicolons. Perhaps people put them there
> out of habit.
>
> On Sep 12, 2016 7:56 PM, "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > While committing r1760406  I wondered if I should really put semicolons
> at
> > end of Groovy files lines.
> > We know it's useless in Groovy. Should we continue to put them, and if
> yes
> > for which reasons?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jacques

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Jacopo Cappellato-5
I don't have a strong opinion. But it would be nice to agreed upon one
style and then implement consistently.

Jacopo

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> While committing r1760406  I wondered if I should really put semicolons at
> end of Groovy files lines.
> We know it's useless in Groovy. Should we continue to put them, and if yes
> for which reasons?

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Rishi Solanki
Jacopo,

I could recall after your reply, the semicolon kept in the groovy files for
consistency only no other reason. Also, if we decide to remove it, then
only thing we should consider if somewhere semicolon used as separator.

Thanks!

--
Rishi

Rishi Solanki
Manager, Enterprise Software Development
HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Direct: +91-9893287847
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Jacopo Cappellato <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have a strong opinion. But it would be nice to agreed upon one
> style and then implement consistently.
>
> Jacopo
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > While committing r1760406  I wondered if I should really put semicolons
> at
> > end of Groovy files lines.
> > We know it's useless in Groovy. Should we continue to put them, and if
> yes
> > for which reasons?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jacques

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Wait, I did not ask to remove them. I simply asked "Should we continue to put them, and if yes for which reasons? "

I don't want to remove existing ones (easy done in one shoot with a S/R regexp) because it would remove the precious svn annotations (when you want to
look for reasons in the past)

I just want to stop put them when we refactor/fix/etc.

I know it will introduce inconsistency (and I assume you know how much I dislike inconsistency) but if the price to pay is to lose again the *precious
svn annotation*, by changing almost of lines of all Groovy files, then I'd say it's not worth it

Thank you Rishi for the link to https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Tips+and+Tricks+while+working+with+Groovy I did not remember of it.
I changed the title to make the URL easier to read

Jacques

Le 13/09/2016 à 08:23, Rishi Solanki a écrit :

> Jacopo,
>
> I could recall after your reply, the semicolon kept in the groovy files for
> consistency only no other reason. Also, if we decide to remove it, then
> only thing we should consider if somewhere semicolon used as separator.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Rishi
>
> Rishi Solanki
> Manager, Enterprise Software Development
> HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
> Direct: +91-9893287847
> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Jacopo Cappellato <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I don't have a strong opinion. But it would be nice to agreed upon one
>> style and then implement consistently.
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> While committing r1760406  I wondered if I should really put semicolons
>> at
>>> end of Groovy files lines.
>>> We know it's useless in Groovy. Should we continue to put them, and if
>> yes
>>> for which reasons?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Gil Portenseigne

Other link to keep in mind is about groovy DSL where no semicolumn are present in code samples :

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Groovy+DSL+for+OFBiz+business+logic

If there is no performance consequences with not using semicolumn, i'm ok with it.

Gil

Thank you Rishi for the link to https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Tips+and+Tricks+while+working+with+Groovy I did not remember of it. I changed the title to make the URL easier to read

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

taher
Okay I missed the historical context.

Like Jacopo I also do not have a strong opinion, if it is easier and faster
to keep them, then keep them. The important thing is to take a direction
and stay with it.

On Sep 13, 2016 9:40 AM, "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Hi,

Wait, I did not ask to remove them. I simply asked "Should we continue to
put them, and if yes for which reasons? "

I don't want to remove existing ones (easy done in one shoot with a S/R
regexp) because it would remove the precious svn annotations (when you want
to look for reasons in the past)

I just want to stop put them when we refactor/fix/etc.

I know it will introduce inconsistency (and I assume you know how much I
dislike inconsistency) but if the price to pay is to lose again the
*precious svn annotation*, by changing almost of lines of all Groovy files,
then I'd say it's not worth it

Thank you Rishi for the link to https://cwiki.apache.org/confl
uence/display/OFBIZ/Tips+and+Tricks+while+working+with+Groovy I did not
remember of it. I changed the title to make the URL easier to read

Jacques

Le 13/09/2016 à 08:23, Rishi Solanki a écrit :

> Jacopo,
>
> I could recall after your reply, the semicolon kept in the groovy files for
> consistency only no other reason. Also, if we decide to remove it, then
> only thing we should consider if somewhere semicolon used as separator.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Rishi
>
> Rishi Solanki
> Manager, Enterprise Software Development
> HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
> Direct: +91-9893287847
> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Jacopo Cappellato <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't have a strong opinion. But it would be nice to agreed upon one
>> style and then implement consistently.
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>>
>>> While committing r1760406  I wondered if I should really put semicolons
>>>
>> at
>>
>>> end of Groovy files lines.
>>> We know it's useless in Groovy. Should we continue to put them, and if
>>>
>> yes
>>
>>> for which reasons?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Jacopo Cappellato-5
I was talking about consistency from now on; I was not suggesting to bulk
change everything.

Jacopo

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 8:40 AM, Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wait, I did not ask to remove them. I simply asked "Should we continue to
> put them, and if yes for which reasons? "
>
> I don't want to remove existing ones (easy done in one shoot with a S/R
> regexp) because it would remove the precious svn annotations (when you want
> to look for reasons in the past)
>
> I just want to stop put them when we refactor/fix/etc.
>
> I know it will introduce inconsistency (and I assume you know how much I
> dislike inconsistency) but if the price to pay is to lose again the
> *precious svn annotation*, by changing almost of lines of all Groovy files,
> then I'd say it's not worth it
>
> Thank you Rishi for the link to https://cwiki.apache.org/confl
> uence/display/OFBIZ/Tips+and+Tricks+while+working+with+Groovy I did not
> remember of it. I changed the title to make the URL easier to read
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 13/09/2016 à 08:23, Rishi Solanki a écrit :
>
>> Jacopo,
>>
>> I could recall after your reply, the semicolon kept in the groovy files
>> for
>> consistency only no other reason. Also, if we decide to remove it, then
>> only thing we should consider if somewhere semicolon used as separator.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Rishi
>>
>> Rishi Solanki
>> Manager, Enterprise Software Development
>> HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
>> Direct: +91-9893287847
>> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Jacopo Cappellato <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't have a strong opinion. But it would be nice to agreed upon one
>>> style and then implement consistently.
>>>
>>> Jacopo
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi

>>> at

>>> yes

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

> Thank you Rishi for the link to https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Tips+and+Tricks+while+working+with+Groovy I did not remember of
> it. I changed the title to make the URL easier to read
>
> Jacques

BTW the Beanshell references should be removed now. I suggest when doing so to put a link in the modified page to previous page versions in history
and explain that to users in the link (it still true in releases and our users use releases).
Maybe not a bid deal in this case, rather a global way of doing changes in wiki for important matters

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Scott Gray-3

> I don't want to remove existing ones (easy done in one shoot with a S/R
> regexp) because it would remove the precious svn annotations (when you want
> to look for reasons in the past)

Hi Jacques,

What are these precious svn annotations used for?  Maybe I'm out of the
loop since I use git-svn which let's me search history a million different
ways, but I'm interested to know why the annotations would be problematic
for bulk S/R operations.

Thanks
Scott

On 13 September 2016 at 18:40, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]

Le 13/09/2016 à 11:34, Scott Gray a écrit :

>> I don't want to remove existing ones (easy done in one shoot with a S/R
>> regexp) because it would remove the precious svn annotations (when you want
>> to look for reasons in the past)
>
> Hi Jacques,
>
> What are these precious svn annotations used for?  Maybe I'm out of the
> loop since I use git-svn which let's me search history a million different
> ways, but I'm interested to know why the annotations would be problematic
> for bulk S/R operations.
>
> Thanks
> Scott
Hi Scott,

Sometimes I try to understand why and when a line has been committed this is mostly when the annotations are useful to me.
Also sometimes simply to find a revision number.

HTH

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Michael Brohl-3
Same here. I'm not even sure if we really have clean groovy in the
project, I assume it is mixed up with Java code in some areas.

But I agree to have a consistent style and we should use the Groovy
language as it shoul be used (even if I would have get used to it and
like a a defined code line ending better).

I see the following directions:

1. actively migrate to pure groovy and remove the semicolons (where
applicable, it seems there are some cases where you need them, see
https://dzone.com/articles/groovy-sometimes-you-still)

2. activeley put semicolons everywhere for consistency

3. do 1., but only when a groovy file is edited anyway. This would
slowly migrate groovy files.

I'd be in favor for 3., as long as there are other more important things
to do or there is a volunteer to do it.

Le 13/09/2016 à 11:56, Michael Brohl a écrit :

> Same here. I'm not even sure if we really have clean groovy in the project, I assume it is mixed up with Java code in some areas.
>
> But I agree to have a consistent style and we should use the Groovy language as it shoul be used (even if I would have get used to it and  like a a
> defined code line ending better).
>
> I see the following directions:
>
> 1. actively migrate to pure groovy and remove the semicolons (where applicable, it seems there are some cases where you need them, see
> https://dzone.com/articles/groovy-sometimes-you-still)
>
> 2. activeley put semicolons everywhere for consistency
>
> 3. do 1., but only when a groovy file is edited anyway. This would slowly migrate groovy files.
>
> I'd be in favor for 3., as long as there are other more important things to do or there is a volunteer to do it.

This is what I somehow suggested, thanks for clarifying Michael! Better to have consistent lines (with respect to semicolons) by file indeed.

Jacques

> Am 13.09.16 um 08:49 schrieb Taher Alkhateeb:
>> Okay I missed the historical context.
>>
>> Like Jacopo I also do not have a strong opinion, if it is easier and faster
>> to keep them, then keep them. The important thing is to take a direction
>> and stay with it.

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

taher
Yup +1 for option 3, fix as you edit

On Sep 13, 2016 1:16 PM, "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Le 13/09/2016 à 11:56, Michael Brohl a écrit :
>
>> Same here. I'm not even sure if we really have clean groovy in the
>> project, I assume it is mixed up with Java code in some areas.
>>
>> But I agree to have a consistent style and we should use the Groovy
>> language as it shoul be used (even if I would have get used to it and  like
>> a a defined code line ending better).
>>
>> I see the following directions:
>>
>> 1. actively migrate to pure groovy and remove the semicolons (where
>> applicable, it seems there are some cases where you need them, see
>> https://dzone.com/articles/groovy-sometimes-you-still)
>>
>> 2. activeley put semicolons everywhere for consistency
>>
>> 3. do 1., but only when a groovy file is edited anyway. This would slowly
>> migrate groovy files.
>>
>> I'd be in favor for 3., as long as there are other more important things
>> to do or there is a volunteer to do it.
>>

> This is what I somehow suggested, thanks for clarifying Michael! Better to
> have consistent lines (with respect to semicolons) by file indeed.
>
> Jacques
>

>> Am 13.09.16 um 08:49 schrieb Taher Alkhateeb:
>>
>>> Okay I missed the historical context.
>>>
>>> Like Jacopo I also do not have a strong opinion, if it is easier and
>>> faster
>>> to keep them, then keep them. The important thing is to take a direction
>>> and stay with it.

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Rishi Solanki
Fix as you edit, this is something like we are working on X functionality
and to achieve that functionality if we want to edit an groovy file, then
we will also remove/add semicolon to it.

If I'm understanding it correctly, then -1 for it. As we have to ask
explicitly to every contributor/committer to follow this practice on each
commit/ticket.

I'm up for #1 or #2 to actively remove/add semicolon. That is do it in one
shot, not immediately but whenever we are ready to do it, otherwise with
time we will have more inconsistency in groovy files on this parameter as
semicolon.

I'm not saying we must do it in one shot, but if community decides to
proceed with any approach to actively add/remove semicolon then we (@HW)
can try to assign single dev as volunteer to provide patch for all the
files.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
--

Rishi Solanki
Manager, Enterprise Software Development
HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Direct: +91-9893287847
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Yup +1 for option 3, fix as you edit
>
> On Sep 13, 2016 1:16 PM, "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Le 13/09/2016 à 11:56, Michael Brohl a écrit :
> >
> >> Same here. I'm not even sure if we really have clean groovy in the
> >> project, I assume it is mixed up with Java code in some areas.
> >>
> >> But I agree to have a consistent style and we should use the Groovy
> >> language as it shoul be used (even if I would have get used to it and
> like
> >> a a defined code line ending better).
> >>
> >> I see the following directions:
> >>
> >> 1. actively migrate to pure groovy and remove the semicolons (where
> >> applicable, it seems there are some cases where you need them, see
> >> https://dzone.com/articles/groovy-sometimes-you-still)
> >>
> >> 2. activeley put semicolons everywhere for consistency
> >>
> >> 3. do 1., but only when a groovy file is edited anyway. This would
> slowly
> >> migrate groovy files.
> >>
> >> I'd be in favor for 3., as long as there are other more important things
> >> to do or there is a volunteer to do it.
> >>

> > This is what I somehow suggested, thanks for clarifying Michael! Better
> > have consistent lines (with respect to semicolons) by file indeed.
> >
> > Jacques

> direction

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Jacopo Cappellato-5
I agree with Rishi's remarks: also, if we follow this approach then
functional changes will be buried in a bunch of non-functional changes.
This could work if the two are committed into two separate commits.

Jacopo

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Rishi Solanki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Fix as you edit, this is something like we are working on X functionality
> and to achieve that functionality if we want to edit an groovy file, then
> we will also remove/add semicolon to it.
>
> If I'm understanding it correctly, then -1 for it. As we have to ask
> explicitly to every contributor/committer to follow this practice on each
> commit/ticket.
>
> I'm up for #1 or #2 to actively remove/add semicolon. That is do it in one
> shot, not immediately but whenever we are ready to do it, otherwise with
> time we will have more inconsistency in groovy files on this parameter as
> semicolon.
>
> I'm not saying we must do it in one shot, but if community decides to
> proceed with any approach to actively add/remove semicolon then we (@HW)
> can try to assign single dev as volunteer to provide patch for all the
> files.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
> --
>
> Rishi Solanki
> Manager, Enterprise Software Development
> HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
> Direct: +91-9893287847
> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Yup +1 for option 3, fix as you edit
> >
> > On Sep 13, 2016 1:16 PM, "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:

> > like

> > slowly

> things
> > >>

> > > This is what I somehow suggested, thanks for clarifying Michael! Better
> > > have consistent lines (with respect to semicolons) by file indeed.
> > >
> > > Jacques

> > direction

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

Michael Brohl-3
Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

So if we find a volunteer I would be for 1. (migrating to pure Groovy).

Michael

Am 13.09.16 um 14:52 schrieb Jacopo Cappellato:
> I agree with Rishi's remarks: also, if we follow this approach then
> functional changes will be buried in a bunch of non-functional changes.
> This could work if the two are committed into two separate commits.
>
> Jacopo

Re: Groovy and semicolon at EOL

taher
Okay, given the priorities and work we have at the moment, I suggest we
keep semicolons and use it as the standard unless someone volunteers to
make a full switch. WDYT?

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Rishi's remarks: also, if we follow this approach then
> functional changes will be buried in a bunch of non-functional changes.
> This could work if the two are committed into two separate commits.
>
> Jacopo
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Rishi Solanki <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Fix as you edit, this is something like we are working on X functionality
> > and to achieve that functionality if we want to edit an groovy file, then
> > we will also remove/add semicolon to it.
> >
> > If I'm understanding it correctly, then -1 for it. As we have to ask
> > explicitly to every contributor/committer to follow this practice on each
> > commit/ticket.
> >
> > I'm up for #1 or #2 to actively remove/add semicolon. That is do it in
> one
> > shot, not immediately but whenever we are ready to do it, otherwise with
> > time we will have more inconsistency in groovy files on this parameter as
> > semicolon.
> >
> > I'm not saying we must do it in one shot, but if community decides to
> > proceed with any approach to actively add/remove semicolon then we (@HW)
> > can try to assign single dev as volunteer to provide patch for all the
> > files.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > --
> >
> > Rishi Solanki
> > Manager, Enterprise Software Development
> > HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
> > Direct: +91-9893287847
> > http://www.hotwaxsystems.com
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <
> > [hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Yup +1 for option 3, fix as you edit
> > >
> > > On Sep 13, 2016 1:16 PM, "Jacques Le Roux" <
> [hidden email]

> and
> > > like

> > > slowly