Headless Commerce Plugin Implementation

Ravi Lodhi
Hello Devs,

As the community is already aware that the planning effort to develop a
Headless commerce plugin is in discussion [1]. In this effort, we have
prepared documents to list down the OOTB OFBiz eCommerce feature set [2],
requirement specifications [3], and an API roadmap [4] to expose these
features. These documents are work in progress and will get refined as we
get more participation/feedback from the community. Meanwhile, I am
planning to start the implementation of the headless commerce plugin. I
think the OFBiz rest capabilities are now matured enough to start
implementing the API endpoints. We can start with the customer profile
endPoints which are straightforward before jumping to complex
functionalities.

So to start the implementation which approach should I take -
1. Should I create a separate git repo from my Github account for the
headless commerce plugins and start working on it until we have something
in good shape?
 or
2. Should I start directly by creating a branch from the ofbiz_plugins fork
and start implementing it?

What would be the best approach such that the community can collaborate on
the implementation?

[1] https://markmail.org/thread/7rdoepdc4sj54wpm
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/WIP%3A+OOTB+OFBiz+eCommerce+Feature+Set
[3]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/WIP%3A+Headless+Commerce+Requirement+Specification
[4]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/WIP%3A+Headless+Commerce+%28OFBiz%29+-+API+Roadmap

Kind Regards,
Ravi Lodhi

Re: Headless Commerce Plugin Implementation

Pawan Verma
Hi Ravi,

I would suggest #2, create a branch from ofbiz_plugins fork, and create a
new PR in WIP so that code changes are easily visible for review and
contributors can suggest/request changes.

We can also rewrite commit history before merging it to the official
repository.

HTH
--
Thanks & Regards
Pawan Verma

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 2:43 PM Ravi Lodhi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Devs,
>
> As the community is already aware that the planning effort to develop a
> Headless commerce plugin is in discussion [1]. In this effort, we have
> prepared documents to list down the OOTB OFBiz eCommerce feature set [2],
> requirement specifications [3], and an API roadmap [4] to expose these
> features. These documents are work in progress and will get refined as we
> get more participation/feedback from the community. Meanwhile, I am
> planning to start the implementation of the headless commerce plugin. I
> think the OFBiz rest capabilities are now matured enough to start
> implementing the API endpoints. We can start with the customer profile
> endPoints which are straightforward before jumping to complex
> functionalities.
>
> So to start the implementation which approach should I take -
> 1. Should I create a separate git repo from my Github account for the
> headless commerce plugins and start working on it until we have something
> in good shape?
>  or
> 2. Should I start directly by creating a branch from the ofbiz_plugins fork
> and start implementing it?
>
> What would be the best approach such that the community can collaborate on
> the implementation?
>
> [1] https://markmail.org/thread/7rdoepdc4sj54wpm
> [2]
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/WIP%3A+OOTB+OFBiz+eCommerce+Feature+Set
> [3]
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/WIP%3A+Headless+Commerce+Requirement+Specification
> [4]
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/WIP%3A+Headless+Commerce+%28OFBiz%29+-+API+Roadmap
>

> Kind Regards,
> Ravi Lodhi

Re: Headless Commerce Plugin Implementation

Deepak Dixit-4
I think we should find some better way to handle this, we should check the
possibility to have separate plugins repository.
Its not a good idea to add each plugin in plugins repo, it will increase
size of ofbiz-plugins.

Kind Regards,
Deepak Dixit

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 5:34 PM Pawan Verma <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Ravi,
>
> I would suggest #2, create a branch from ofbiz_plugins fork, and create a
> new PR in WIP so that code changes are easily visible for review and
> contributors can suggest/request changes.
>
> We can also rewrite commit history before merging it to the official
> repository.
>
> HTH
> --
> Thanks & Regards
> Pawan Verma
> Technical Consultant
> *HotWax Systems*
> *Enterprise open source experts*
> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com
>

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 2:43 PM Ravi Lodhi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Devs,
> >
> > As the community is already aware that the planning effort to develop a
> > Headless commerce plugin is in discussion [1]. In this effort, we have
> > prepared documents to list down the OOTB OFBiz eCommerce feature set [2],
> > requirement specifications [3], and an API roadmap [4] to expose these
> > features. These documents are work in progress and will get refined as we
> > get more participation/feedback from the community. Meanwhile, I am
> > planning to start the implementation of the headless commerce plugin. I
> > think the OFBiz rest capabilities are now matured enough to start
> > implementing the API endpoints. We can start with the customer profile
> > endPoints which are straightforward before jumping to complex
> > functionalities.
> >
> > So to start the implementation which approach should I take -
> > 1. Should I create a separate git repo from my Github account for the
> > headless commerce plugins and start working on it until we have something
> > in good shape?
> >  or
> > 2. Should I start directly by creating a branch from the ofbiz_plugins
> fork
> > and start implementing it?
> >
> > What would be the best approach such that the community can collaborate
> on
> > the implementation?
> >
> > [1] https://markmail.org/thread/7rdoepdc4sj54wpm
> > [2]
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/WIP%3A+OOTB+OFBiz+eCommerce+Feature+Set
> > [3]
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/WIP%3A+Headless+Commerce+Requirement+Specification
> > [4]
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/WIP%3A+Headless+Commerce+%28OFBiz%29+-+API+Roadmap
> >

> > Kind Regards,
> > --
> > Ravi Lodhi

Re: Headless Commerce Plugin Implementation

Ravi Lodhi
Thanks, Pawan and Deepak for the quick response. Much appreciated!

As of now, all the plugins are managed under the ofbiz_plugins repo. So I
think I should also start working on the headless commerce plugin using the
ofbiz_plugins fork as suggested by Pawan. We may have a better way to
handle this (using separate repositories) in the future.