How to remove the language select box?

Jacopo Cappellato
We have recently discussed about moving the the language select box out
of the header; it seemed to me there was a general consensus to go on
with it, and I too think it is a good idea.

What is the best way to implement this?
A screen for language selection in the WorkEffort application seems a
good idea, but if the applications are not loaded this will prevent the
language selection.
One option is to:

1) add the screen to the WorkEffort application
2) display the language selection box in the header, but only for the
WebTools application (we could use a parameter to hide/show the select
box from the header)

Does it make sense?

Re: How to remove the language select box?

Adrian Crum
I always pictured a popup screen like the field lookup screens.

So, the header would simply display the current language with a "Change
Language" button next to it. Click the button, a screen pops up with the
language selection list. Select a language, click "Set" and the popup window
goes away. The main screen the displays the newly-selected language.

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> We have recently discussed about moving the the language select box out
> of the header; it seemed to me there was a general consensus to go on
> with it, and I too think it is a good idea.
>
> What is the best way to implement this?
> A screen for language selection in the WorkEffort application seems a
> good idea, but if the applications are not loaded this will prevent the
> language selection.
> One option is to:
>
> 1) add the screen to the WorkEffort application
> 2) display the language selection box in the header, but only for the
> WebTools application (we could use a parameter to hide/show the select
> box from the header)
>
> Does it make sense?
>
> Jacopo

Re: How to remove the language select box?

cjhowe
+1
--- Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I always pictured a popup screen like the field lookup screens.
>
> So, the header would simply display the current language with a
> "Change
> Language" button next to it. Click the button, a screen pops up with
> the
> language selection list. Select a language, click "Set" and the popup
> window
> goes away. The main screen the displays the newly-selected language.
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> > We have recently discussed about moving the the language select box
> out
> > of the header; it seemed to me there was a general consensus to go
> on
> > with it, and I too think it is a good idea.
> >
> > What is the best way to implement this?
> > A screen for language selection in the WorkEffort application seems
> > good idea, but if the applications are not loaded this will prevent
> the
> > language selection.
> > One option is to:
> >
> > 1) add the screen to the WorkEffort application
> > 2) display the language selection box in the header, but only for
> the
> > WebTools application (we could use a parameter to hide/show the
> select
> > box from the header)
> >
> > Does it make sense?
> >
> > Jacopo

Re: How to remove the language select box?

Anil Patel
+1
Assumption: When the value of language changes the screen will submit itself
so the language change takes into effect.

On 4/16/07, Chris Howe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
> --- Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I always pictured a popup screen like the field lookup screens.
> >
> > So, the header would simply display the current language with a
> > "Change
> > Language" button next to it. Click the button, a screen pops up with
> > the
> > language selection list. Select a language, click "Set" and the popup
> > window
> > goes away. The main screen the displays the newly-selected language.
> >

> > Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> > > We have recently discussed about moving the the language select box
> > out
> > > of the header; it seemed to me there was a general consensus to go
> > on
> > > with it, and I too think it is a good idea.
> > >
> > > What is the best way to implement this?
> > > A screen for language selection in the WorkEffort application seems
> > > good idea, but if the applications are not loaded this will prevent
> > the
> > > language selection.
> > > One option is to:
> > >
> > > 1) add the screen to the WorkEffort application
> > > 2) display the language selection box in the header, but only for
> > the
> > > WebTools application (we could use a parameter to hide/show the
> > select
> > > box from the header)
> > >
> > > Does it make sense?
> > >
> > > Jacopo

Re: How to remove the language select box?

Adrian Crum
While playing around with the existing language selection list, I encountered
what may be a bug.

Starting in the Example component, I switched to the Italian language. The page
displayed the new language. I went to the Accounting component. The language is
still English. I switched it to Italian. The page displayed Italian. I go back
to the Example component and switch it back to English. I go back to Accounting
and it is still in Italian.

It seems the language selection is not carrying across sessions.

Adrian Crum wrote:

> I always pictured a popup screen like the field lookup screens.
>
> So, the header would simply display the current language with a "Change
> Language" button next to it. Click the button, a screen pops up with the
> language selection list. Select a language, click "Set" and the popup
> window goes away. The main screen the displays the newly-selected language.
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> We have recently discussed about moving the the language select box
>> out of the header; it seemed to me there was a general consensus to go
>> on with it, and I too think it is a good idea.
>>
>> What is the best way to implement this?
>> A screen for language selection in the WorkEffort application seems a
>> good idea, but if the applications are not loaded this will prevent
>> the language selection.
>> One option is to:
>>
>> 1) add the screen to the WorkEffort application
>> 2) display the language selection box in the header, but only for the
>> WebTools application (we could use a parameter to hide/show the select
>> box from the header)
>>
>> Does it make sense?
>>
>> Jacopo

Re: How to remove the language select box?

David E Jones

Sessions are maintained per webapp. This is part of the Java Servlet
spec.

-David

On Apr 16, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> While playing around with the existing language selection list, I
> encountered what may be a bug.
>
> Starting in the Example component, I switched to the Italian
> language. The page displayed the new language. I went to the
> Accounting component. The language is still English. I switched it
> to Italian. The page displayed Italian. I go back to the Example
> component and switch it back to English. I go back to Accounting
> and it is still in Italian.
>
> It seems the language selection is not carrying across sessions.
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> I always pictured a popup screen like the field lookup screens.
>> So, the header would simply display the current language with a
>> "Change Language" button next to it. Click the button, a screen
>> pops up with the language selection list. Select a language, click
>> "Set" and the popup window goes away. The main screen the displays
>> the newly-selected language.
>> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>> We have recently discussed about moving the the language select
>>> box out of the header; it seemed to me there was a general
>>> consensus to go on with it, and I too think it is a good idea.
>>>
>>> What is the best way to implement this?
>>> A screen for language selection in the WorkEffort application
>>> seems a good idea, but if the applications are not loaded this
>>> will prevent the language selection.
>>> One option is to:
>>>
>>> 1) add the screen to the WorkEffort application
>>> 2) display the language selection box in the header, but only for
>>> the WebTools application (we could use a parameter to hide/show
>>> the select box from the header)
>>>
>>> Does it make sense?
>>>
>>> Jacopo

Re: How to remove the language select box?

Adrian Crum
David,

Thanks for the reply. I kinda already knew that. I was wondering out loud if
this is something that has been addressed - since other bits of OFBiz data
travel between sessions.

Do you see any problems with persisting a user's language choice so that all
OFBiz components will recognize the setting change?

David E. Jones wrote:

> Sessions are maintained per webapp. This is part of the Java Servlet  spec.
>
> -David
>

> On Apr 16, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> While playing around with the existing language selection list, I
>> encountered what may be a bug.
>>
>> Starting in the Example component, I switched to the Italian
>> language. The page displayed the new language. I went to the
>> Accounting component. The language is still English. I switched it  to
>> Italian. The page displayed Italian. I go back to the Example
>> component and switch it back to English. I go back to Accounting  and
>> it is still in Italian.
>>
>> It seems the language selection is not carrying across sessions.
>>

>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> I always pictured a popup screen like the field lookup screens.
>>> So, the header would simply display the current language with a
>>> "Change Language" button next to it. Click the button, a screen  pops
>>> up with the language selection list. Select a language, click  "Set"
>>> and the popup window goes away. The main screen the displays  the
>>> newly-selected language.

Re: How to remove the language select box?

+1

Jacques

> +1
> Assumption: When the value of language changes the screen will submit
itself

> so the language change takes into effect.
>

> On 4/16/07, Chris Howe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> > --- Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I always pictured a popup screen like the field lookup screens.
> > >
> > > So, the header would simply display the current language with a
> > > "Change
> > > Language" button next to it. Click the button, a screen pops up
with
> > > the
> > > language selection list. Select a language, click "Set" and the
popup
> > > window
> > > goes away. The main screen the displays the newly-selected
language.

> > > out
> > > on

> > > the

for

> > > the
> > > select

Re: How to remove the language select box?

Adrian Crum
A patch has been submitted that accomplishes this -

Adrian Crum wrote:

> I always pictured a popup screen like the field lookup screens.
>
> So, the header would simply display the current language with a "Change
> Language" button next to it. Click the button, a screen pops up with the
> language selection list. Select a language, click "Set" and the popup
> window goes away. The main screen the displays the newly-selected language.
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> We have recently discussed about moving the the language select box
>> out of the header; it seemed to me there was a general consensus to go
>> on with it, and I too think it is a good idea.
>>
>> What is the best way to implement this?
>> A screen for language selection in the WorkEffort application seems a
>> good idea, but if the applications are not loaded this will prevent
>> the language selection.
>> One option is to:
>>
>> 1) add the screen to the WorkEffort application
>> 2) display the language selection box in the header, but only for the
>> WebTools application (we could use a parameter to hide/show the select
>> box from the header)
>>
>> Does it make sense?
>>
>> Jacopo

Re: How to remove the language select box?

Guido Amarilla
Can we move the new time zone selection too?

Guido

Guido Amarilla

Re: How to remove the language select box?

Adrian Crum
Guido,

Did you try using the ofbiz-642-locale_tz.patch file? It moves both select boxes to separate screens.

-Adrian

Guido Amarilla wrote:

> Can we move the new time zone selection too?
>

> Guido
>
> 2007/7/3, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]>:
>
>> A patch has been submitted that accomplishes this -
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-642
>>

>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>> > I always pictured a popup screen like the field lookup screens.
>> >
>> > So, the header would simply display the current language with a "Change
>> > Language" button next to it. Click the button, a screen pops up with
>> the
>> > language selection list. Select a language, click "Set" and the popup
>> > window goes away. The main screen the displays the newly-selected
>> language.

Re: How to remove the language select box?

Guido Amarilla
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I didn´t try the patch. It was just
because I din´t see any comment about it in this thread. I should have
checked the Jira issue.

Thank you! and I think it is a great UI improvement.

Guido

Guido Amarilla

Re: How to remove the language select box?

Adrian Crum
Guido,

If you like the patch, then please vote for the Jira issue. That will increase its chances of making
it into the project.

-Adrian