I'd like to help out with the Accounting module

I'd like to help out with the Accounting module

Jim Barrows
As I mentioned in the users list, I'm willing to help.  The accounting
module to start, and then the contextual help.  They're both things I
need today.

Where do I start?

James A Barrows

Re: I'd like to help out with the Accounting module

Adrian Crum
Jim,

Much of OFBiz development is driven by user need. Perhaps an approach you could take is to start
using the OFBiz Accounting module. When you run into something you need that isn't there, write some
code to build it out and submit it to Jira. We'll all take a look at it and, if it looks acceptable,
commit it to the project.

-Adrian

Jim Barrows wrote:

> As I mentioned in the users list, I'm willing to help.  The accounting
> module to start, and then the contextual help.  They're both things I
> need today.
>
> Where do I start?

Re: I'd like to help out with the Accounting module

Jim Barrows
Income statement, balance sheets coming up.... maybe not by this
weekend.. but soon.  Unless someone has started?

James A Barrows

Re: I'd like to help out with the Accounting module

David E Jones

The most important things to understand that are OFBiz specific in
order to help with the development of these things are the framework
and the data model, especially the accounting specific model of course.

For the framework most of what you need to know is in the free videos
here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos+and+Diagrams

For the data model a good place to start is The Data Model Resource
Book, Revised Edition, Volume 1. For more details on that see:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Related+Books

That is where the data model started, but it was enhanced with stuff
from the OMG GL interface spec (we didn't implement that spec, but
modeled the data to be compatible, ie not have any conceptual
mismatches; we've done that for various other specs throughout the
project). Some of the model is also based on the now defunct effort to
extend the OMG GL spec to include AR and AP.

The best way to look into that is to study the entities themselves and
how they relate to other entities in the model. A nice tool for doing
that is the Entity Reference pages in WebTools (which you can access
on the demo site, demo.hotwaxmedia.com/webtools).

-David

On Nov 20, 2007, at 3:45 PM, Jim Barrows wrote:

> Income statement, balance sheets coming up.... maybe not by this
> weekend.. but soon.  Unless someone has started?
>
> On Nov 20, 2007 3:31 PM, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> Much of OFBiz development is driven by user need. Perhaps an
>> approach you could take is to start
>> using the OFBiz Accounting module. When you run into something you
>> need that isn't there, write some
>> code to build it out and submit it to Jira. We'll all take a look
>> at it and, if it looks acceptable,
>> commit it to the project.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>

>> Jim Barrows wrote:
>>
>>> As I mentioned in the users list, I'm willing to help.  The
>>> accounting
>>> module to start, and then the contextual help.  They're both
>>> things I
>>> need today.
>>>
>>> Where do I start?
>>>

> --