Incubator September Report

Re: OFBiz 4.x/5.0

David E Jones-2

The first step should certainly be on the mailing list, ie deciding
what this might be and how it might look.

Andrew's comments were very good and hit the point well that OFBiz is
community driven in a very real way, ie in that it is driven by both
community needs and community contributions. There is no budget, no
dedicated hours from any individual or company, or any other resource
to work on project priorities.

I would love for that to change (especially if I was the beneficiary
of some of that change... ;) ), but that's the way it is now, and it
has actually worked out pretty well. It means future things are very
unpredictable, although the volume has been pretty good over time
with lots of good stuff coming into the project.

So, right now the "roadmap" is on this page, which has been there for
quite a while:

http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/comingsoon.html

I'm not at all opposed to an effort to try to create such a thing. Is
this something you would be interested in doing Chris?

-David

On Sep 14, 2006, at 3:35 AM, Chris Howe wrote:

> That's great nes on the RC1 stuff!   With all of the
> JIRA notifications and a lot of the good ideas that
> are being transfered over to Apache/put to pasture
> because lack of resources and interest, I wonder if
> it's about time to discuss a roadmap of
> features/methodologies/concepts/goals for future
> releases.
>
> Also what medium that discussion should take place in.
> (personally think the mailing list is a bit
> restrictive for the kinds of broader discussions that
> would be taking place, JIRA with subtasks seems more
> appropriate but would like feedback)

Re: OFBiz 4.x/5.0

cjhowe
--- David E Jones <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm not at all opposed to an effort to try to create
> such a thing. Is
> this something you would be interested in doing
> Chris?

That's something I would be very much interested in
doing/maintaining/ collaborating in.

Re: OFBiz 4.x/5.0

David E Jones-2

On Sep 14, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Chris Howe wrote:

> --- David E Jones <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not at all opposed to an effort to try to create
>> such a thing. Is
>> this something you would be interested in doing
>> Chris?
>
> That's something I would be very much interested in
> doing/maintaining/ collaborating in.

Great! What do you need to get started?

As for a place to put the results, perhaps a page in the wiki (OFBIZ)
part of docs.ofbiz.org would be the best.

Re: OFBiz 4.x/5.0

cjhowe
I suppose I just need the answer to a few of
questions.
1) Is the release that RC1 is for going to be
officially 4.0?
2) What is the distinction that the Apache Ofbiz
community would want to take between a .X release
point and a X.0 release point?
3) When a decent road map feature set is voted on is
using subtasks in Jira preferred or the "Affects
Version" field?
4) Who else is interested in actively participating in
this?

--- David E Jones <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Chris Howe wrote:
>
> > --- David E Jones <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not at all opposed to an effort to try to
> create
> >> such a thing. Is
> >> this something you would be interested in doing
> >> Chris?
> >
> > That's something I would be very much interested
> in
> > doing/maintaining/ collaborating in.
>
> Great! What do you need to get started?
>
> As for a place to put the results, perhaps a page in
> the wiki (OFBIZ)
> part of docs.ofbiz.org would be the best.

Re: OFBiz 4.x/5.0

Tim Ruppert
I'm more than happy to lend some time to this as having a goal probably
isn't going to hurt.

If you'll coordinate - please let me know where I can be of service.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Chris Howe wrote:

> I suppose I just need the answer to a few of
> questions.
> 1) Is the release that RC1 is for going to be
> officially 4.0?
> 2) What is the distinction that the Apache Ofbiz
> community would want to take between a .X release
> point and a X.0 release point?
> 3) When a decent road map feature set is voted on is
> using subtasks in Jira preferred or the "Affects
> Version" field?
> 4) Who else is interested in actively participating in
> this?
>

> --- David E Jones <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 14, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Chris Howe wrote:
>>

>>> --- David E Jones <[hidden email]>

>> create

>>> That's something I would be very much interested
>>>
>> in
>>
>>> doing/maintaining/ collaborating in.
>>>
>> Great! What do you need to get started?
>>
>> As for a place to put the results, perhaps a page in
>> the wiki (OFBIZ)
>> part of docs.ofbiz.org would be the best.
>>
>> -David

Re: OFBiz 4.x/5.0

From: "Chris Howe" <[hidden email]>
> 4) Who else is interested in actively participating in
> this?

I am (and hope to find time)

Jacques

> --- David E Jones <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 14, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Chris Howe wrote:
> >
> > > --- David E Jones <[hidden email]>

> > create
> > >
> > > That's something I would be very much interested
> > in
> > > doing/maintaining/ collaborating in.
> >
> > Great! What do you need to get started?
> >
> > As for a place to put the results, perhaps a page in
> > the wiki (OFBIZ)
> > part of docs.ofbiz.org would be the best.
> >
> > -David

Re: OFBiz 4.x/5.0

David E Jones-2

On Sep 14, 2006, at 3:15 PM, Chris Howe wrote:

> I suppose I just need the answer to a few of
> questions.
> 1) Is the release that RC1 is for going to be
> officially 4.0?

Please see my answers to Christian Geisert's questions about this
topic. They were on this list in the last couple of days.

> 2) What is the distinction that the Apache Ofbiz
> community would want to take between a .X release
> point and a X.0 release point?

I think we'll just have 3 dot-separated numbers, ie 4.0.0. The last
number would be for multiple releases in a single branch. In other
words 4.0.0 is the first release in the 4.0 branch, and 4.0.1 is the
second in that branch, and so on. 4.1 would be a separate branch and
incrementing this second number would be for more minor changes. If
we get to a big milestone or do a big change, we'd change the first
number.

This is how we've planned to do it in the past, and a fairly common
version numbering system that is pretty well understood.

> 3) When a decent road map feature set is voted on is
> using subtasks in Jira preferred or the "Affects
> Version" field?

The Affects Version field is more for bug fixes of a branch versus
the trunk (the SVN "version"). If a bug is reported in 4.0.1, for
example, we might see if it also exists in the trunk but the bug
report is for that version.

For now let's not put high level and proposed features in Jira until
thy have concrete support behind them. Otherwise we just end up with
a confusing mess... In other words I think it would work better to
have planning done in Confluence pages, and then specific tasks (once
actionable...) put into Jira and referred to from there. This is
early thought on this topic (ie just a proposal) and I know we
haven't discussed, so feedback and other ideas would be great.

-David

> 4) Who else is interested in actively participating in
> this?
>

> --- David E Jones <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 14, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Chris Howe wrote:
>>
>>> --- David E Jones <[hidden email]>

>> create
>>>
>>> That's something I would be very much interested
>> in
>>> doing/maintaining/ collaborating in.
>>
>> Great! What do you need to get started?
>>
>> As for a place to put the results, perhaps a page in
>> the wiki (OFBIZ)
>> part of docs.ofbiz.org would be the best.
>>
>> -David

12