MD5 removing?

Following a recent "distribution policy : make .md5 optional" thread at [hidden email] and looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5

"Although MD5 was initially designed to be used as a cryptographic hash function <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_hash_function>, it has
been found to suffer from extensive vulnerabilities. It can still be used as a checksum <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum> to verify data
integrity <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_integrity>, but only against unintentional corruption."

I was wondering so I checked and we no longer use MD5 anywhere but for last usable ciphers in Catalina ofbiz-component.xml

I copied that recently from [1] and read now at [2] that MD5 is still used, though still almost at the end of the possible default ciphers.

I also read at [3] "HOW TO -- Disable weak ciphers in Tomcat 7 & 8" how to used only nowadays reliable ciphers

Maybe we could ask Tomcat user ML for advice, but reading https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Security/Ciphers it seems it's a tradeoff and we will get the
same answer from the ML.

What are your opinions? Should we follow [3] suggestion or let it as is OOTB and just warn users about that in a comment? Note that [4] is really
complete and interesting, MD5 as a cypher is not recommended there.

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/http.html

[2] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/http.html

[3] https://s.apache.org/h2vH

[4] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS

Re: MD5 removing?

Paul Foxworthy
Hi Jacques,

Doesn't the !MD5 mean Tomcat and OFBiz's default configuration is to *not*
allow MD5 even if a client requests it? So I think we're OK already.

Is it possible for us to leave out the ciphers property from OFBiz
altogether, so Tomcat's default rules would come into play, and as they
evolve over time OFBiz would naturally track them, without us having to
maintain our own copy?

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

On 14 February 2018 at 00:03, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following a recent "distribution policy : make .md5 optional" thread at
> [hidden email] and looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5
>
> "Although MD5 was initially designed to be used as a cryptographic hash
> function <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_hash_function>, it
> has been found to suffer from extensive vulnerabilities. It can still be
> used as a checksum <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum> to verify
> data integrity <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_integrity>, but only
> against unintentional corruption."
>
> I was wondering so I checked and we no longer use MD5 anywhere but for
> last usable ciphers in Catalina ofbiz-component.xml
>
> I copied that recently from [1] and read now at [2] that MD5 is still
> used, though still almost at the end of the possible default ciphers.
>
> I also read at [3] "HOW TO -- Disable weak ciphers in Tomcat 7 & 8" how to
> used only nowadays reliable ciphers
>
> Maybe we could ask Tomcat user ML for advice, but reading
> https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Security/Ciphers it seems it's a tradeoff
> and we will get the same answer from the ML.
>
> What are your opinions? Should we follow [3] suggestion or let it as is
> OOTB and just warn users about that in a comment? Note that [4] is really
> complete and interesting, MD5 as a cypher is not recommended there.
>
> [1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/http.html
>
> [2] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/http.html
>
> [3] https://s.apache.org/h2vH
>
> [4] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS

Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773
Cheltenham Vic 3192
Australia

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: [hidden email]
--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/

Re: MD5 removing?

Thanks Paul,

It did not occur to me that the ! in MD5 was to prevent the use of MD5 :)

I must say that the syntax is not explained in Tomcat doc (or at least I could not find it, even Googling everywhere)

Anyway I tried https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=demo-trunk.ofbiz.apache.org

And I can confirm that MD5 and the other weak ciphers are not used and we are safe (good results and a 90% for ciphers)

About using Tomcat default, yes I plenty agree and that's what I wanted to do initially but did not because did not understand the ! meaning

I'd do that in trunk and backport

Cheers

Jacques

Le 14/02/2018 à 07:00, Paul Foxworthy a écrit :

> Hi Jacques,
>
> Doesn't the !MD5 mean Tomcat and OFBiz's default configuration is to *not*
> allow MD5 even if a client requests it? So I think we're OK already.
>
> Is it possible for us to leave out the ciphers property from OFBiz
> altogether, so Tomcat's default rules would come into play, and as they
> evolve over time OFBiz would naturally track them, without us having to
> maintain our own copy?
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul Foxworthy
>

> On 14 February 2018 at 00:03, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following a recent "distribution policy : make .md5 optional" thread at
>> [hidden email] and looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5
>>
>> "Although MD5 was initially designed to be used as a cryptographic hash
>> function <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_hash_function>, it
>> has been found to suffer from extensive vulnerabilities. It can still be
>> used as a checksum <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum> to verify
>> data integrity <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_integrity>, but only
>> against unintentional corruption."
>>
>> I was wondering so I checked and we no longer use MD5 anywhere but for
>> last usable ciphers in Catalina ofbiz-component.xml
>>
>> I copied that recently from [1] and read now at [2] that MD5 is still
>> used, though still almost at the end of the possible default ciphers.
>>
>> I also read at [3] "HOW TO -- Disable weak ciphers in Tomcat 7 & 8" how to
>> used only nowadays reliable ciphers
>>
>> Maybe we could ask Tomcat user ML for advice, but reading
>> https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Security/Ciphers it seems it's a tradeoff
>> and we will get the same answer from the ML.
>>
>> What are your opinions? Should we follow [3] suggestion or let it as is
>> OOTB and just warn users about that in a comment? Note that [4] is really
>> complete and interesting, MD5 as a cypher is not recommended there.
>>
>> [1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/http.html
>>
>> [2] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/http.html
>>
>> [3] https://s.apache.org/h2vH
>>
>> [4] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS
>>
>> Jacques

Re: MD5 removing?

Done with OFBIZ-10223

> Thanks Paul,
>
> It did not occur to me that the ! in MD5 was to prevent the use of MD5 :)
>
> I must say that the syntax is not explained in Tomcat doc (or at least I could not find it, even Googling everywhere)
>
> Anyway I tried https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=demo-trunk.ofbiz.apache.org
>
> And I can confirm that MD5 and the other weak ciphers are not used and we are safe (good results and a 90% for ciphers)
>
> About using Tomcat default, yes I plenty agree and that's what I wanted to do initially but did not because did not understand the ! meaning
>
> I'd do that in trunk and backport
>
> Cheers
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 14/02/2018 à 07:00, Paul Foxworthy a écrit :
>> Hi Jacques,
>>
>> Doesn't the !MD5 mean Tomcat and OFBiz's default configuration is to *not*
>> allow MD5 even if a client requests it? So I think we're OK already.
>>
>> Is it possible for us to leave out the ciphers property from OFBiz
>> altogether, so Tomcat's default rules would come into play, and as they
>> evolve over time OFBiz would naturally track them, without us having to
>> maintain our own copy?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Paul Foxworthy
>>

>> On 14 February 2018 at 00:03, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Following a recent "distribution policy : make .md5 optional" thread at
>>> [hidden email] and looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5
>>>
>>> "Although MD5 was initially designed to be used as a cryptographic hash
>>> function <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_hash_function>, it
>>> has been found to suffer from extensive vulnerabilities. It can still be
>>> used as a checksum <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum> to verify
>>> data integrity <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_integrity>, but only
>>> against unintentional corruption."
>>>
>>> I was wondering so I checked and we no longer use MD5 anywhere but for
>>> last usable ciphers in Catalina ofbiz-component.xml
>>>
>>> I copied that recently from [1] and read now at [2] that MD5 is still
>>> used, though still almost at the end of the possible default ciphers.
>>>
>>> I also read at [3] "HOW TO -- Disable weak ciphers in Tomcat 7 & 8" how to
>>> used only nowadays reliable ciphers
>>>
>>> Maybe we could ask Tomcat user ML for advice, but reading
>>> https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Security/Ciphers it seems it's a tradeoff
>>> and we will get the same answer from the ML.
>>>
>>> What are your opinions? Should we follow [3] suggestion or let it as is
>>> OOTB and just warn users about that in a comment? Note that [4] is really
>>> complete and interesting, MD5 as a cypher is not recommended there.
>>>
>>> [1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/http.html
>>>
>>> [2] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/http.html
>>>
>>> [3] https://s.apache.org/h2vH
>>>
>>> [4] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: MD5 removing?

Paul Foxworthy
Thanks Jacques.

I bet it is the OpenSSL syntax which is documented here:
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.0.2/apps/ciphers.html .

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773
Cheltenham Vic 3192
Australia

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: [hidden email]
--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/

Re: MD5 removing?

Perfect, thanks Paul!

Jacques