Manufactured product help

Adarsh Holavanahalli
Hi,

I have a simple question about manufacturing in Ofbiz. I have an
inventory where are raw material components are serialized items. I have
FIFO inventory usage policy defined on the store. Now I have built
several products using the raw materials and the products themselves are
serialized items as well. Can anyone clarify the following points for
me?
                1. how do I list all the sub components with their
serial numbers in a specific manufactured product (say with serial
number A1234567)
                2. given the serial number of the raw material, how will
I trace it back to the product that it is a part of?

Thanks
Adarsh

4/5/2007 3:33 PM

Re: Manufactured product help

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Adarsh,

right now there is no user interface to easily provide this information
(hopefully I'll add something about this in the short term period).
However, the information is in the following entity:
WorkEffortInventoryAssign

the workEffortId is the id of the production run task that used the
material (usually the first task in the production run), and
inventoryItemId is the id of the (serialized) item consumed.

Hope this helps,

Jacopo

Adarsh Holavanahalli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a simple question about manufacturing in Ofbiz. I have an
> inventory where are raw material components are serialized items. I have
> FIFO inventory usage policy defined on the store. Now I have built
> several products using the raw materials and the products themselves are
> serialized items as well. Can anyone clarify the following points for
> me?
>                 1. how do I list all the sub components with their
> serial numbers in a specific manufactured product (say with serial
> number A1234567)
>                 2. given the serial number of the raw material, how will
> I trace it back to the product that it is a part of?
>

> Thanks
> Adarsh

RE: Manufactured product help

Adarsh Holavanahalli
Hi Jacopo,

Thank you for the information. I shall dump the entity table and get the
required data.

But as an aside on this topic with respect to manufacturing:
 In the future, how would ofbiz handle cases wherein the product has
been manufactured and shipped to the customer and then one day one of
the components need to be replaced (field replaceable unit). Would the
inventory module allow us to keep track of the new subcomponent as well.
In order to do this, we would need to be able to update the original
subcomponent list of the manufactured product. From a manufacturing
perspective, we would end up marking the failed subcomponent as bad (or
deleting it altogether) and adding the replacement subcomponent.

Regards
Adarsh

right now there is no user interface to easily provide this information
(hopefully I'll add something about this in the short term period).
However, the information is in the following entity:
WorkEffortInventoryAssign

the workEffortId is the id of the production run task that used the
material (usually the first task in the production run), and
inventoryItemId is the id of the (serialized) item consumed.

Hope this helps,

Jacopo

Adarsh Holavanahalli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a simple question about manufacturing in Ofbiz. I have an
> inventory where are raw material components are serialized items. I
have
> FIFO inventory usage policy defined on the store. Now I have built
> several products using the raw materials and the products themselves
are
> serialized items as well. Can anyone clarify the following points for
> me?
>                 1. how do I list all the sub components with their
> serial numbers in a specific manufactured product (say with serial
> number A1234567)
>                 2. given the serial number of the raw material, how
will
> I trace it back to the product that it is a part of?
>

> Thanks
> Adarsh

10:59 PM

Re: Manufactured product help

Jacopo Cappellato
I don't think we should edit the original production run.
How to handle this mostly depends on how the company wants to handle
this substitution: a new production run? a return/replacement?
However the association should be probably managed thru the serial
number of the finished product delivered to the customer.