Minor enhancement to Form widget, will help in while working with them from Javascript

Minor enhancement to Form widget, will help in while working with them from Javascript

Anil Patel-3
Hi,
Some Form Widget elements don't have "id" attribute. Id on html elements
makes them lot easier to work with from Javascript. I'll appreciate If
somebody evaluate possibility of having id attribute on all form widget
elements and possibly implement them.

Regards
Anil Patel

Re: Minor enhancement to Form widget, will help in while working with them from Javascript

jonwimp
I did this on a private Widget Engine enhancement, along with AJAX. Unfortunately, that
enhancement was licensed private months ago. Sorry.

Frankly, I don't think the "id" attribute is really great. It's always possible, maybe even
preferable, to reference HTML elements in a structured DOM way.

I'd be willing to discuss this further if some of us are committed to working on this and putting
it back to OFBiz.

Jonathon

Anil Patel wrote:

> Hi,
> Some Form Widget elements don't have "id" attribute. Id on html elements
> makes them lot easier to work with from Javascript. I'll appreciate If
> somebody evaluate possibility of having id attribute on all form widget
> elements and possibly implement them.
>
> Regards
> Anil Patel

Re: Minor enhancement to Form widget, will help in while working with them from Javascript

Adrian Crum
I had suggested adding the ID attribute (and others) to all widget elements earlier this year. The
response was that we shouldn't tie widget code too closely to HTML output, since the intent is to
use widgets to render to more than one output format.

-Adrian

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> I did this on a private Widget Engine enhancement, along with AJAX.
> Unfortunately, that enhancement was licensed private months ago. Sorry.
>
> Frankly, I don't think the "id" attribute is really great. It's always
> possible, maybe even preferable, to reference HTML elements in a
> structured DOM way.
>
> I'd be willing to discuss this further if some of us are committed to
> working on this and putting it back to OFBiz.
>
> Jonathon
>
> Anil Patel wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Some Form Widget elements don't have "id" attribute. Id on html elements
>> makes them lot easier to work with from Javascript. I'll appreciate If
>> somebody evaluate possibility of having id attribute on all form widget
>> elements and possibly implement them.
>>
>> Regards
>> Anil Patel

Re: Minor enhancement to Form widget, will help in while working with them from Javascript

David E Jones

The concept you are talking about is correct in general Adrian, but
means something different than your interpretation here. The intent of
the screen, form and other widgets is to define structure and business
level artifacts (not technical or visual). They are meant to be
externally styled, hence the use of "style" attributes, and yes even
"id" attributes.

In other words, certain elements in the screen and form widgets
(didn't check the others) already DO have id attributes on them, and
if necessary we could add it to others as well.

-David

On Nov 26, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> I had suggested adding the ID attribute (and others) to all widget
> elements earlier this year. The response was that we shouldn't tie
> widget code too closely to HTML output, since the intent is to use
> widgets to render to more than one output format.
>
> -Adrian
>
> Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>
>> I did this on a private Widget Engine enhancement, along with AJAX.
>> Unfortunately, that enhancement was licensed private months ago.
>> Sorry.
>> Frankly, I don't think the "id" attribute is really great. It's
>> always possible, maybe even preferable, to reference HTML elements
>> in a structured DOM way.
>> I'd be willing to discuss this further if some of us are committed
>> to working on this and putting it back to OFBiz.
>> Jonathon
>> Anil Patel wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Some Form Widget elements don't have "id" attribute. Id on html
>>> elements
>>> makes them lot easier to work with from Javascript. I'll
>>> appreciate If
>>> somebody evaluate possibility of having id attribute on all form
>>> widget
>>> elements and possibly implement them.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Anil Patel

Re: Minor enhancement to Form widget, will help in while working with them from Javascript

Adrian Crum
David,

Thank you for the clarification. I also suggested at the time that all of the widgets could be
extended from a simple base class that contains common attributes like style, id, etc.

-Adrian

David E Jones wrote:

> The concept you are talking about is correct in general Adrian, but
> means something different than your interpretation here. The intent of
> the screen, form and other widgets is to define structure and business
> level artifacts (not technical or visual). They are meant to be
> externally styled, hence the use of "style" attributes, and yes even
> "id" attributes.
>
> In other words, certain elements in the screen and form widgets  (didn't
> check the others) already DO have id attributes on them, and  if
> necessary we could add it to others as well.
>
> -David
>

> On Nov 26, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> I had suggested adding the ID attribute (and others) to all widget
>> elements earlier this year. The response was that we shouldn't tie
>> widget code too closely to HTML output, since the intent is to use
>> widgets to render to more than one output format.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>>
>>> I did this on a private Widget Engine enhancement, along with AJAX.
>>> Unfortunately, that enhancement was licensed private months ago.  Sorry.
>>> Frankly, I don't think the "id" attribute is really great. It's
>>> always possible, maybe even preferable, to reference HTML elements
>>> in a structured DOM way.
>>> I'd be willing to discuss this further if some of us are committed
>>> to working on this and putting it back to OFBiz.
>>> Jonathon

Re: Minor enhancement to Form widget, will help in while working with them from Javascript

David E Jones

It sounds like a good pattern, but which classes would extend from
this base class?

For the form widget there are a few places that could use an id. These
SHOULD follow the same pattern as the "*style" attributes, but
evidently whoever added them didn't feel the need... or perhaps didn't
like the pattern?

Anyway, for example on the field element the attribute is called "id-
name", though it really should be "widget-id" and there really SHOULD
be other attributes that go along with it like "title-id" and possibly
others like "widget-area-id" and "title-area-id".

In fact, I hadn't looked at this in detail before but looking at it
now the inconsistency and confusion (perhaps causing this thread
even?) bother me and I'd like to see the "id-name" attribute removed
(pulled from the XSD, still supported in the parsing code, just like
in many other places so we get a warning, or parse error really, but
it will still work).

Is anyone working on this, or interested in doing so in the near
future (before the coming waves of other topics wash this out ;) )?

-David

On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:03 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> David,
>
> Thank you for the clarification. I also suggested at the time that
> all of the widgets could be extended from a simple base class that
> contains common attributes like style, id, etc.
>
> -Adrian
>
> David E Jones wrote:
>
>> The concept you are talking about is correct in general Adrian,
>> but  means something different than your interpretation here. The
>> intent of  the screen, form and other widgets is to define
>> structure and business  level artifacts (not technical or visual).
>> They are meant to be  externally styled, hence the use of "style"
>> attributes, and yes even  "id" attributes.
>> In other words, certain elements in the screen and form widgets
>> (didn't check the others) already DO have id attributes on them,
>> and  if necessary we could add it to others as well.
>> -David
>> On Nov 26, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>>> I had suggested adding the ID attribute (and others) to all
>>> widget  elements earlier this year. The response was that we
>>> shouldn't tie  widget code too closely to HTML output, since the
>>> intent is to use  widgets to render to more than one output format.
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Re: Minor enhancement to Form widget, will help in while working with them from Javascript

Adrian Crum
I agree - the implementation is inconsistent and confusing.

I would like to work on it.

-Adrian

David E Jones wrote:

> It sounds like a good pattern, but which classes would extend from  this
> base class?
>
> For the form widget there are a few places that could use an id. These
> SHOULD follow the same pattern as the "*style" attributes, but
> evidently whoever added them didn't feel the need... or perhaps didn't
> like the pattern?
>
> Anyway, for example on the field element the attribute is called "id-
> name", though it really should be "widget-id" and there really SHOULD
> be other attributes that go along with it like "title-id" and possibly
> others like "widget-area-id" and "title-area-id".
>
> In fact, I hadn't looked at this in detail before but looking at it  now
> the inconsistency and confusion (perhaps causing this thread  even?)
> bother me and I'd like to see the "id-name" attribute removed  (pulled
> from the XSD, still supported in the parsing code, just like  in many
> other places so we get a warning, or parse error really, but  it will
> still work).
>
> Is anyone working on this, or interested in doing so in the near  future
> (before the coming waves of other topics wash this out ;) )?
>
> -David
>

> On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:03 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> Thank you for the clarification. I also suggested at the time that
>> all of the widgets could be extended from a simple base class that
>> contains common attributes like style, id, etc.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> David E Jones wrote:
>>
>>> The concept you are talking about is correct in general Adrian,  but
>>> means something different than your interpretation here. The  intent
>>> of  the screen, form and other widgets is to define  structure and
>>> business  level artifacts (not technical or visual).  They are meant
>>> to be  externally styled, hence the use of "style"  attributes, and
>>> yes even  "id" attributes.
>>> In other words, certain elements in the screen and form widgets
>>> (didn't check the others) already DO have id attributes on them,
>>> and  if necessary we could add it to others as well.
>>> -David

Re: Minor enhancement to Form widget, will help in while working with them from Javascript

jonwimp
Adrian,

I remember your suggestion to base the widgets from a single abstract class. I liked it. Just
that, it was so inconsistent, I didn't know where to start. I also haven't given much thought to
exactly what that "base class" should be.

I think you're the best person now to manage this implementation. Let me know how I can help.

Jonathon