More Meaningful Demo Data

Adrian Crum-2
I'm working on building out the forum feature of the
Content Manager component. I'm creating a more
comprehensive demo data set and I'd like to make the
demo data more meaningful.

Is there any reason I can't make up names for people
and businesses? We could have a disclaimer note in the
demo data similar to movie disclaimers saying that the
data is ficticious and any similarity to real
people/businesses is coincidental.

What do you think?

-Adrian

Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: More Meaningful Demo Data

David E Jones

Better, and more business oriented, demo data for the content stuff
would be really great.

Disclaimers are good, but another practice we've been using is
"ridicularity", if you take my meaning. In other words make the names
and such so silly (and entertaining, if you must) that people will get
the idea. Using product names like widgets and gizmos is pretty much
along this line. Some may not translate into foreign languages as
much, but they get the idea pretty quickly anyway (yeah, I've seen a
lot of questions from clients around the world and sometimes in
English-speaking places too about what a widget is and what a gizmo
is...).

-David

On Jan 28, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> I'm working on building out the forum feature of the
> Content Manager component. I'm creating a more
> comprehensive demo data set and I'd like to make the
> demo data more meaningful.
>
> Is there any reason I can't make up names for people
> and businesses? We could have a disclaimer note in the
> demo data similar to movie disclaimers saying that the
> data is ficticious and any similarity to real
> people/businesses is coincidental.
>
> What do you think?
>
> -Adrian

> Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page.
> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: More Meaningful Demo Data

Adrian Crum-2
Thanks for the reply!

I'm picturing how the demo data can be built out so
that new users can have a better idea of how
components and processes interact.

Take the existing Demo Customer for example. Why can't
that person have a name? In addition to any existing
data, I could have them post forum messages about
items they purchased.

Demo employees in the HR component could have demo
data all over the place - member of a project team in
the project manager, moderator of in-house forums,
foreman of a manufacturing production run, etc.

Maybe this is a lofty goal, but I think it would be
helpful to have demo data that really looks like a
deployed OFBiz instance.

-Adrian

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.  http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

Re: More Meaningful Demo Data

David E Jones

I'm all for more demo data, but I'm not sure how much a I like
anything that appears to be real... and the main reason for that is
that it can be error-prone if people accidently load the data or
something.

-David

On Jan 28, 2008, at 10:53 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I'm picturing how the demo data can be built out so
> that new users can have a better idea of how
> components and processes interact.
>
> Take the existing Demo Customer for example. Why can't
> that person have a name? In addition to any existing
> data, I could have them post forum messages about
> items they purchased.
>
> Demo employees in the HR component could have demo
> data all over the place - member of a project team in
> the project manager, moderator of in-house forums,
> foreman of a manufacturing production run, etc.
>
> Maybe this is a lofty goal, but I think it would be
> helpful to have demo data that really looks like a
> deployed OFBiz instance.
>
> -Adrian
>
> --- David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Better, and more business oriented, demo data for
>> the content stuff
>> would be really great.
>>
>> Disclaimers are good, but another practice we've
>> been using is
>> "ridicularity", if you take my meaning. In other
>> words make the names
>> and such so silly (and entertaining, if you must)
>> that people will get
>> the idea. Using product names like widgets and
>> gizmos is pretty much
>> along this line. Some may not translate into foreign
>> languages as
>> much, but they get the idea pretty quickly anyway
>> (yeah, I've seen a
>> lot of questions from clients around the world and
>> sometimes in
>> English-speaking places too about what a widget is
>> and what a gizmo
>> is...).
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Jan 28, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working on building out the forum feature of
>> the
>>> Content Manager component. I'm creating a more
>>> comprehensive demo data set and I'd like to make
>> the
>>> demo data more meaningful.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason I can't make up names for
>> people
>>> and businesses? We could have a disclaimer note in
>> the
>>> demo data similar to movie disclaimers saying that
>> the
>>> data is ficticious and any similarity to real
>>> people/businesses is coincidental.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> -Adrian

>>> Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page.
>>> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.  http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

Re: More Meaningful Demo Data

Adrian Crum-2
I understand what you're saying, but at the same time
I would hate to see us avoid including meaningful demo
data based upon a fear that someone might use it mess
things up.

I'll postpone making any changes until others have had
an opportunity to comment.

-Adrian

--- David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm all for more demo data, but I'm not sure how
> much a I like
> anything that appears to be real... and the main
> reason for that is
> that it can be error-prone if people accidently load
> the data or
> something.
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 28, 2008, at 10:53 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply!
> >
> > I'm picturing how the demo data can be built out
> so
> > that new users can have a better idea of how
> > components and processes interact.
> >
> > Take the existing Demo Customer for example. Why
> can't
> > that person have a name? In addition to any
> existing
> > data, I could have them post forum messages about
> > items they purchased.
> >
> > Demo employees in the HR component could have demo
> > data all over the place - member of a project team
> in
> > the project manager, moderator of in-house forums,
> > foreman of a manufacturing production run, etc.
> >
> > Maybe this is a lofty goal, but I think it would
> be
> > helpful to have demo data that really looks like a
> > deployed OFBiz instance.
> >
> > -Adrian
> >
> > --- David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> Better, and more business oriented, demo data for
> >> the content stuff
> >> would be really great.
> >>
> >> Disclaimers are good, but another practice we've
> >> been using is
> >> "ridicularity", if you take my meaning. In other
> >> words make the names
> >> and such so silly (and entertaining, if you must)
> >> that people will get
> >> the idea. Using product names like widgets and
> >> gizmos is pretty much
> >> along this line. Some may not translate into
> foreign
> >> languages as
> >> much, but they get the idea pretty quickly anyway
> >> (yeah, I've seen a
> >> lot of questions from clients around the world
> and
> >> sometimes in
> >> English-speaking places too about what a widget
> is
> >> and what a gizmo
> >> is...).
> >>
> >> -David

> >> the
> >> the

> >> people
> in
> >> the
> that
> >> the

> > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Re: More Meaningful Demo Data

Why not use obvious names and concepts coming from fictional characters universally known (Mickey Mouse, Superman, etc.) ?
Trying to use characters related to its use could help, imagination power...

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>