Move to Geronimo

adepue
I'm a lurker here, and not an actual user of OFBiz.  However, I noticed
that several months back OFBiz switched over to Geronimo for transaction
management (and XA pooling?).  How is this working out for OFBiz?  Is
Geronimo's transaction manager and xa pooling mature enough for
production?  We looked at using JOTM+XAPool, but the result is a
disaster.  XAPool especially has race conditions and other problems.
Now we are looking into Geronimo, and I'd like to get a feel for its
reliability.  Any info from real world experience with Geronimo's
transaction manager and xa pooling is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Move to Geronimo

David E Jones-2

We're actually only using the transaction manager from Geronimo. For
XA aware connection pooling and an XA wrapper for non-XA JDBC drivers
we are using a version on Minerva that we pulled a couple of years
ago from an even older version of JBoss.

This is a tricky thing and there aren't any great solutions we've
found when you want to embed the stuff, but this is working pretty
well for us, even in production environments.

Yes, my experience with XAPool has also been less than great. I
wasn't able to find an easy way to use the XA aware pooling and XA
JDBC wrapper from Geronimo. Actually, even using the transaction
manager was tough and required using some classes from Jencks that
were written by some of the Geronimo developers to make embedded use
possible in that projects (hence the jencks jar file in the geronimo
component of OFBiz).

-David