Need from/thruDate on SegmentGroupRole?

byersa
As I understand it, SegmentGroup is there to handle sales territories.
If so, wouldn't it be desirable to attach sales reps to a region by the
SegmentGroupRole, and if so, since that would be a high turnover
position, wouldn't it be good to have it time constrained by the
from/thruDate?

I see where PartyRelationship is tied to the SegmentGroupRole via the
SegmentGroupViewRelatedParties view, but I don't see how that would
apply in this case.

Was the intent just to replace or delete sales reps as they became
active and inactive?

-Al

Re: Need from/thruDate on SegmentGroupRole?

David E Jones-2

I don't think there was any special reason for this, so it should be fine to add from/thru date fields to the SegmentGroupRole entity.

-David

Al Byers wrote:

> As I understand it, SegmentGroup is there to handle sales territories.
> If so, wouldn't it be desirable to attach sales reps to a region by the
> SegmentGroupRole, and if so, since that would be a high turnover
> position, wouldn't it be good to have it time constrained by the
> from/thruDate?
>
> I see where PartyRelationship is tied to the SegmentGroupRole via the
> SegmentGroupViewRelatedParties view, but I don't see how that would
> apply in this case.
>
> Was the intent just to replace or delete sales reps as they became
> active and inactive?
>
> -Al

Re: Need from/thruDate on SegmentGroupRole?

byersa
David,

Are you saying that in my application, it would be fine to add from/thru
date fields to SegmentGroupRole entity, or that it would be a good idea
to submit a JIRA issue to add those fields to the OFBiz core code? Since
fromDate would be part of a new primary key, I would be surprised if you
meant that, but I thought I would ask.

-Al

David E Jones wrote:

> I don't think there was any special reason for this, so it should be
> fine to add from/thru date fields to the SegmentGroupRole entity.
>
> -David
>

> Al Byers wrote:
>> As I understand it, SegmentGroup is there to handle sales
>> territories. If so, wouldn't it be desirable to attach sales reps to
>> a region by the SegmentGroupRole, and if so, since that would be a
>> high turnover position, wouldn't it be good to have it time
>> constrained by the from/thruDate?
>>
>> I see where PartyRelationship is tied to the SegmentGroupRole via the
>> SegmentGroupViewRelatedParties view, but I don't see how that would
>> apply in this case.
>>
>> Was the intent just to replace or delete sales reps as they became
>> active and inactive?
>>
>> -Al

Re: Need from/thruDate on SegmentGroupRole?

David E Jones-2

Yes, I think it's fine to add it and change the primary key of that
entity. I know it is used, but by a pretty small group. If it is
needed then my opinion on doing the change is: the sooner the better!

Of course, if anyone is reading in and disagrees with this: please
let us know!

If no one has a major objection within a day or maybe two on the
outside, I'd say go for it...

-David

On Jul 27, 2006, at 6:09 PM, Al Byers wrote:

> David,
>
> Are you saying that in my application, it would be fine to add from/
> thru date fields to SegmentGroupRole entity, or that it would be a
> good idea to submit a JIRA issue to add those fields to the OFBiz
> core code? Since fromDate would be part of a new primary key, I
> would be surprised if you meant that, but I thought I would ask.
>
> -Al
>
> David E Jones wrote:
>>
>> I don't think there was any special reason for this, so it should
>> be fine to add from/thru date fields to the SegmentGroupRole entity.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> Al Byers wrote:
>>> As I understand it, SegmentGroup is there to handle sales
>>> territories. If so, wouldn't it be desirable to attach sales reps
>>> to a region by the SegmentGroupRole, and if so, since that would
>>> be a high turnover position, wouldn't it be good to have it time
>>> constrained by the from/thruDate?
>>>
>>> I see where PartyRelationship is tied to the SegmentGroupRole via
>>> the SegmentGroupViewRelatedParties view, but I don't see how that
>>> would apply in this case.
>>>
>>> Was the intent just to replace or delete sales reps as they
>>> became active and inactive?
>>>
>>> -Al

Re: Need from/thruDate on SegmentGroupRole?

cjhowe
The fromDate in the primary key is used else where but
with unresolvable issues.  Namely, some instances you
want only one "active" record.  With fromDate being a
timestamp, you have a unique key every millisecond.

This is the kind of rule that would be perfect for the
"ConstraintEntity" model i suggested a couple of days
ago in the ML.  Even if it weren't to be used as
extensively as I had first suggested (unless it seems
to work well in that regard as well).

Outside of further discussion, the fromDate as a
primary key should be fine as it's used elsewhere with
the understanding that the issue exists.  Evenn those
using that entity in it's current form shouldn't be
affected as long as the field can be null.

--- David E Jones <[hidden email]>