New/Resurrected Thread: What to get in before release?

New/Resurrected Thread: What to get in before release?

David E Jones

Hopefully we will get a release branch started in 1-2 weeks.

Everyone please brainstorm in this thread about what you think needs
to be done before we do a release branch according to the Release
Plan written out here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan

Re: New/Resurrected Thread: What to get in before release?

Adrian Crum
At the very least we need to review the bug reports in Jira and try to get as
many fixed as possible.

Secondary is adding enhancements/improvements. Maybe have a list of features to
vote on.

Finally, get everyone to agree on a landmark revision number to test, then a
number of us could spend a weekend testing and fixing whatever issues crop up.

David E. Jones wrote:

> Hopefully we will get a release branch started in 1-2 weeks.
>
> Everyone please brainstorm in this thread about what you think needs  to
> be done before we do a release branch according to the Release  Plan
> written out here:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan
>
> Thanks,

Re: New/Resurrected Thread: What to get in before release?

David E Jones

This strays quite a bit from what is described in the Release Plan.

Are you saying that before we even begin this discussion we should
work on some changes to the Release Plan?

As a side note, this is coming up VERY soon... 1-2 weeks is not a lot
of time. If anyone wants to do a testing push, please start now. That
can probably be coordinated by simply sending a message to this list
to let others know what sorts of tests and in which area of OFBiz you
are working. At this point we don't have resources in the community
to do a complete test, and the only way we'll ever get to that is
through incremental additions to automated tests anyway, so for now
the intent is to test and fix as much as possible.

For anyone who wants to USE or maintain the release branch just keep
this in mind: the more that is fixed before the branch, the less will
have to be back-patched into it... so maintaining the branch will be
easier and using the branch will involve fewer local updates and
patches and such.

-David

David E. Jones wrote:
> This strays quite a bit from what is described in the Release Plan.
>
> Are you saying that before we even begin this discussion we should  work
> on some changes to the Release Plan?

The subject of this thread is "What to get in before release?" I answered that
question. No, I'm not suggesting that we change the release plan.

On Apr 6, 2007, at 10:48 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> David E. Jones wrote:
>> This strays quite a bit from what is described in the Release Plan.
>> Are you saying that before we even begin this discussion we
>> should  work on some changes to the Release Plan?
>
> The subject of this thread is "What to get in before release?" I
> answered that question. No, I'm not suggesting that we change the
> release plan.

I guess what I mean is that according to the release plan the point
is not so much to make sure bugs are fixed before the branch. Though
obviously that's better, it's not required _before_ the branch, that
is the point of stabilizing the branch after it is setup (ie the
first 2-3 months of the branch's life).

Also, we are not trying to approach a certain feature set as is
traditionally done with packaged software. In other words, we'll do
the branch when the code is in a decent state and choose not to have
regrets about the fact that such and such feature didn't make it in.
The fact of the matter is that there are always hundreds of features
floating in people's minds and most of these won't make it in right
away, some may not even make it in before next year's branch... ;)

Still, there are certain things that are messy or clearly broken that
we should take care of before the branch, partially as an opportunity
to shine for those looking into OFBiz for the first time, and that is
the point of this thread.

That said, sorry to interrupt the brainstorming! Please comment and
don't worry about what I think, I just wanted to point everyone to
the Release Plan. Please read it, or read it again, as you consider
items for the upcoming release branch.

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan