New Website Branch Created

Sharan Foga
Hi Everyone

A quick update. I've created a new branch called under the branches directory called ofbiz-new-website and have uploaded all the work done so far on the new website structure and pages.

The plan is to complete the work in this branch and then copy it over to the new site when we are ready. I think the content itself is the most important so will continue to to tidy up and complete any missing pages or information. It's in our repository now so hopefully more accessible to people who want to help out.

I'd encourage you all to take a look at what has been done to so that I can get some feedback of what people think of the general look and feel.

Once again – I'd like to thank Kenneth Paskett for helping out with the graphics.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: New Website Branch Created

Julien NICOLAS
Bonjour Sharan and the community,

I don't know if you prefer to open Jira about new website issue but I
listed below what I found on a fast review. I think it could be a good
thing to be able to assign task and to avoid double work on the same one.

1 - Multi-browser compatibility

I try it locally but it seems that the hover on the menu is not working
on Firefox... Is anybody have the same trouble ?

I try on Chromium (Linux) and there is no problem to navigate between pages.

2 - External link

About the user experience and to be sure to not lost the user. I prefer
to create a new tab when the user follow an external link (Twitter,
blog, technical information, etc.)

3 - Typo

I found a typo on the "Go ahead and take OFBiz for a spin!" in this
sentence :

All you _*is*_ need is to install the Java...

4 - wrong link

Link press is wrong (News)

Link User documentation is wrong (Documentation)

Link Source Repository is wrong (Community)

All link in Users is pointing to the same page.

Maybe I can help to correct issue (maybe browser compatibility ?).

Have a nice day,

Julien.

On 20/03/2017 13:54, Sharan Foga wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> A quick update. I've created a new branch called under the branches directory called ofbiz-new-website and have uploaded all the work done so far on the new website structure and pages.
>
> The plan is to complete the work in this branch and then copy it over to the new site when we are ready. I think the content itself is the most important so will continue to to tidy up and complete any missing pages or information. It's in our repository now so hopefully more accessible to people who want to help out.
>
> I'd encourage you all to take a look at what has been done to so that I can get some feedback of what people think of the general look and feel.
>
> Once again – I'd like to thank Kenneth Paskett for helping out with the graphics.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Re: New Website Branch Created

taher
Great job Sharan, and thank you for pulling this through and not giving up
:)

My recommendations to make this website an easier, more managable task is
as follows:

- Replace PHP templates with freemarker. I remember creating them quickly
just to get something rolling for the header/footer/shared regions
- Introduce a build script .. naturally I would recommend gradle. The build
script would include a few tasks to automate the publication of the
website. For example:
  - generateHtml: from the freemarker templates
  - publishWebsite: to get the final thing on the web server
  - clean: to remove any generated artifacts

I think treating this as a project with a build script using tools everyone
is familiar with is going to help in code contributions.

On Mar 20, 2017 3:54 PM, "Sharan Foga" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> A quick update. I've created a new branch called under the branches
> directory called ofbiz-new-website and have uploaded all the work done so
> far on the new website structure and pages.
>
> The plan is to complete the work in this branch and then copy it over to
> the new site when we are ready. I think the content itself is the most
> important so will continue to to tidy up and complete any missing pages or
> information. It's in our repository now so hopefully more accessible to
> people who want to help out.
>
> I'd encourage you all to take a look at what has been done to so that I
> can get some feedback of what people think of the general look and feel.
>
> Once again – I'd like to thank Kenneth Paskett for helping out with the
> graphics.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Re: New Website Branch Created

Sharan-F
Hi Taher

Yes - the freemarker thing sounds good, I've been having fun with the
php page generation manually that makes you really appreciate automated
scripts!

Anyway I know that there is some tidy up and linking etc to be done.  I
will look at putting together a little project plan with the main tasks
so that we can track where we are. I seem to remember that we did have a
Jira created for the new website but I'll need to re-visit it as it
might be way out of date. Also if these are sizeable things then it
makes sense to break it up into manageable milestone chunks.

Thanks
Sharan

On 20/03/17 15:54, Taher Alkhateeb wrote:

> Great job Sharan, and thank you for pulling this through and not giving up
> :)
>
> My recommendations to make this website an easier, more managable task is
> as follows:
>
> - Replace PHP templates with freemarker. I remember creating them quickly
> just to get something rolling for the header/footer/shared regions
> - Introduce a build script .. naturally I would recommend gradle. The build
> script would include a few tasks to automate the publication of the
> website. For example:
>    - generateHtml: from the freemarker templates
>    - publishWebsite: to get the final thing on the web server
>    - clean: to remove any generated artifacts
>
> I think treating this as a project with a build script using tools everyone
> is familiar with is going to help in code contributions.
>
> On Mar 20, 2017 3:54 PM, "Sharan Foga" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> A quick update. I've created a new branch called under the branches
>> directory called ofbiz-new-website and have uploaded all the work done so
>> far on the new website structure and pages.
>>
>> The plan is to complete the work in this branch and then copy it over to
>> the new site when we are ready. I think the content itself is the most
>> important so will continue to to tidy up and complete any missing pages or
>> information. It's in our repository now so hopefully more accessible to
>> people who want to help out.
>>
>> I'd encourage you all to take a look at what has been done to so that I
>> can get some feedback of what people think of the general look and feel.
>>
>> Once again – I'd like to thank Kenneth Paskett for helping out with the
>> graphics.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharan

Re: New Website Branch Created

Sharan-F
Hi Julien

Thanks for the feedback. Responses inline.

Thanks
Sharan

On 20/03/17 15:35, Julien NICOLAS wrote:
> Bonjour Sharan and the community,
>

> I don't know if you prefer to open Jira about new website issue but I
> listed below what I found on a fast review. I think it could be a good
> thing to be able to assign task and to avoid double work on the same one.

I think there is already a JIra but I'd like to check to see if we use
it or close it and create a new one. It all depends on what is in it and
how confusing it might be. I'll take a look and decide.

> 1 - Multi-browser compatibility
>
> I try it locally but it seems that the hover on the menu is not
> working on Firefox... Is anybody have the same trouble ?
>
> I try on Chromium (Linux) and there is no problem to navigate between
> pages.

I've focussed on writing all the pages so haven't tested it on different
browsers, so this needs to be added to the to-do list. Also all the
pages may not be in their final formats so not sure how this will affect
that testing.

> 2 - External link
>
> About the user experience and to be sure to not lost the user. I
> prefer to create a new tab when the user follow an external link
> (Twitter, blog, technical information, etc.)

Yes - I think that is nicer. When I set it up I was focussed on getting
the right links, rather than new windows etc, but I agree this would be
a good change and stops people navigating away from the site!

> 3 - Typo
>
> I found a typo on the "Go ahead and take OFBiz for a spin!" in this
> sentence :
>
> All you _*is*_ need is to install the Java...

Thanks although, I'm sure there will be more than this one!

> 4 - wrong link
>
> Link press is wrong (News)
>
> Link User documentation is wrong (Documentation)
>
> Link Source Repository is wrong (Community)
>
> All link in Users is pointing to the same page.
>
> Maybe I can help to correct issue (maybe browser compatibility ?).

I'll investigate.

> Have a nice day,

Well I'll surely have a nice 'busy' day now! :-)

> Julien.
>

> On 20/03/2017 13:54, Sharan Foga wrote:
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> A quick update. I've created a new branch called under the branches
>> directory called ofbiz-new-website and have uploaded all the work
>> done so far on the new website structure and pages.
>>
>> The plan is to complete the work in this branch and then copy it over
>> to the new site when we are ready. I think the content itself is the
>> most important so will continue to to tidy up and complete any
>> missing pages or information. It's in our repository now so hopefully
>> more accessible to people who want to help out.
>>
>> I'd encourage you all to take a look at what has been done to so that
>> I can get some feedback of what people think of the general look and
>> feel.
>>
>> Once again – I'd like to thank Kenneth Paskett for helping out with
>> the graphics.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharan

Re: New Website Branch Created

Sharan Foga
Hi Julien

Please see inline for an update;

Thanks
Sharan

We have issue  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-7792 created so we can continue to use this one as the main task. If people want to create sub-tasks and link it back to this main one for tracking then that is OK.

 but I
> listed below what I found on a fast review. I think it could be a good
> thing to be able to assign task and to avoid double work on the same one.
>

> 1 - Multi-browser compatibility
>
> I try it locally but it seems that the hover on the menu is not working
> on Firefox... Is anybody have the same trouble ?

I'm using Firefox 50.0.2 on Ubuntu and it is displaying and working fine for me.

> I try on Chromium (Linux) and there is no problem to navigate between pages.
>

> 2 - External link
>
> About the user experience and to be sure to not lost the user. I prefer
> to create a new tab when the user follow an external link (Twitter,
> blog, technical information, etc.)

I've updated it to open in new tabs where you've mentioned. There may be more so will change them as we find them.

> 3 - Typo
>
> I found a typo on the "Go ahead and take OFBiz for a spin!" in this
> sentence :
>
> All you _*is*_ need is to install the Java...

Done.

> 4 - wrong link
>
> Link press is wrong (News)

I'm not sure which one you mean. News is the main menu item  and there are a couple of links such as User Stories and Press that are not fully setup yet.

> Link User documentation is wrong (Documentation)

User documentation isn't linked because I'm not sure where to link it to!

> Link Source Repository is wrong (Community)

Still need to fix this.

> All link in Users is pointing to the same page.

Yes - this isn't fully setup yet. The idea with this is to use filters to select which users are in a particular industry.

> Maybe I can help to correct issue (maybe browser compatibility ?).
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Julien.
>

> On 20/03/2017 13:54, Sharan Foga wrote:
> > Hi Everyone
> >
> > A quick update. I've created a new branch called under the branches directory called ofbiz-new-website and have uploaded all the work done so far on the new website structure and pages.
> >
> > The plan is to complete the work in this branch and then copy it over to the new site when we are ready. I think the content itself is the most important so will continue to to tidy up and complete any missing pages or information. It's in our repository now so hopefully more accessible to people who want to help out.
> >
> > I'd encourage you all to take a look at what has been done to so that I can get some feedback of what people think of the general look and feel.
> >
> > Once again \u2013 I'd like to thank Kenneth Paskett for helping out with the graphics.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan

Re: New Website Branch Created

Michael Brohl-3
Hi Sharan,

Taher gave me a hint on this topic so I had a look at the new website
code and display. I like it and think we should put some effort  in this
to get it ready for production.

I'm thinking about leaving some of the new contents out of sight for the
first release, namely the service providers page and "what customers
said" etc. (everything which is new and not ready for production.
I think it would be enough to have the up-to-date informations from the
old site plus some more which are ready (or near ready) to speed things up.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Am 20.03.17 um 13:54 schrieb Sharan Foga:

> Hi Everyone
>
> A quick update. I've created a new branch called under the branches directory called ofbiz-new-website and have uploaded all the work done so far on the new website structure and pages.
>
> The plan is to complete the work in this branch and then copy it over to the new site when we are ready. I think the content itself is the most important so will continue to to tidy up and complete any missing pages or information. It's in our repository now so hopefully more accessible to people who want to help out.
>
> I'd encourage you all to take a look at what has been done to so that I can get some feedback of what people think of the general look and feel.
>
> Once again – I'd like to thank Kenneth Paskett for helping out with the graphics.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Re: New Website Branch Created

Sharan-F
Hi Michael

I like the idea (I'd been looking at an all or nothing approach :-) so
just putting the minimum we need live is OK with me. I have some changes
in progress for the main page, so will commit those tomorrow.
Essentially I've removed the bottom slider panel and instead added a
section on OFBiz Features, modules and benefits. I'll also take a look
at the key pages and update what I can.

I'm not sure what to do about the php template conversion to html. I've
been doing it manually but it probably needs a script and I know we
talked about replacing the php templates with Freemarker ones but not
sure how easy that would be so ideas welcome.

Thanks
Sharan

On 25/06/17 18:03, Michael Brohl wrote:

> Hi Sharan,
>
> Taher gave me a hint on this topic so I had a look at the new website
> code and display. I like it and think we should put some effort  in
> this to get it ready for production.
>
> I'm thinking about leaving some of the new contents out of sight for
> the first release, namely the service providers page and "what
> customers said" etc. (everything which is new and not ready for
> production.
> I think it would be enough to have the up-to-date informations from
> the old site plus some more which are ready (or near ready) to speed
> things up.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michael Brohl
> ecomify GmbH
> www.ecomify.de
>

> Am 20.03.17 um 13:54 schrieb Sharan Foga:
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> A quick update. I've created a new branch called under the branches
>> directory called ofbiz-new-website and have uploaded all the work
>> done so far on the new website structure and pages.
>>
>> The plan is to complete the work in this branch and then copy it over
>> to the new site when we are ready. I think the content itself is the
>> most important so will continue to to tidy up and complete any
>> missing pages or information. It's in our repository now so hopefully
>> more accessible to people who want to help out.
>>
>> I'd encourage you all to take a look at what has been done to so that
>> I can get some feedback of what people think of the general look and
>> feel.
>>
>> Once again – I'd like to thank Kenneth Paskett for helping out with
>> the graphics.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharan

Re: New Website Branch Created

taher
+1 for switching the website to the new one and completing it as we go.

We should try to automate publishing the website. One solution is to
publish the website as is. Another solution is to restructure the
website so that only the "generated" stuff gets published to the
server. So the directory structure could be something like the below.
And then we can have commands like ./gradlew generateHtml or ./gradlew
publishHtml

website-project/
├── build.gradle
├── public
│   ├── about-ofbiz.html
│   ├── business-users.html
│   ├── developers.html
│   ├── bootstrap
│   ├── css
│   └── etc...
└── template
    ├── html.tpl.php
    ├── page
    │   ├── about-ofbiz.tpl.php
    │   ├── business-users.tpl.php
    │   ├── developers.tpl.php
    │   └── etc ...
    └── region
        ├── footer.tpl.php
        ├── header.tpl.php
        ├── head.tpl.php
        └── scripts.tpl.php

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 7:35 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michael
>
> I like the idea (I'd been looking at an all or nothing approach :-) so just
> putting the minimum we need live is OK with me. I have some changes in
> progress for the main page, so will commit those tomorrow. Essentially I've
> removed the bottom slider panel and instead added a section on OFBiz
> Features, modules and benefits. I'll also take a look at the key pages and
> update what I can.
>
> I'm not sure what to do about the php template conversion to html. I've been
> doing it manually but it probably needs a script and I know we talked about
> replacing the php templates with Freemarker ones but not sure how easy that
> would be so ideas welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan
>

> On 25/06/17 18:03, Michael Brohl wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sharan,
>>
>> Taher gave me a hint on this topic so I had a look at the new website code
>> and display. I like it and think we should put some effort  in this to get
>> it ready for production.
>>
>> I'm thinking about leaving some of the new contents out of sight for the
>> first release, namely the service providers page and "what customers said"
>> etc. (everything which is new and not ready for production.
>> I think it would be enough to have the up-to-date informations from the
>> old site plus some more which are ready (or near ready) to speed things up.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Michael Brohl
>> ecomify GmbH
>> www.ecomify.de
>>

>> Am 20.03.17 um 13:54 schrieb Sharan Foga:
>>>
>>> Hi Everyone
>>>
>>> A quick update. I've created a new branch called under the branches
>>> directory called ofbiz-new-website and have uploaded all the work done so
>>> far on the new website structure and pages.
>>>
>>> The plan is to complete the work in this branch and then copy it over to
>>> the new site when we are ready. I think the content itself is the most
>>> important so will continue to to tidy up and complete any missing pages or
>>> information. It's in our repository now so hopefully more accessible to
>>> people who want to help out.
>>>
>>> I'd encourage you all to take a look at what has been done to so that I
>>> can get some feedback of what people think of the general look and feel.
>>>
>>> Once again – I'd like to thank Kenneth Paskett for helping out with the
>>> graphics.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

GL Patch

Craig Parker
I'm looking at OFBIZ-9429.patch, and wondering how to apply it to a
current install. I'm not sure which version I'm running though, can't
see it in any of the unzipped files yet and I don't know where to find
it in the software menu.

I used the main download zip, I beleive it was the first one to use
gradle, and I don't think I've reinstalled since any updates came out --
I'm guessing 16.11.01. Is there a "how to apply a patch" doc somewhere?
Was this email something for the dev list, or should I have asked over
at user?

Re: GL Patch

Michael Brohl-3
Hi Craig,

please have a look at:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Addressing+Custom+Requirements+In+OFBiz#AddressingCustomRequirementsInOFBiz-ApplyingaPatch

Best regards,

Michael

Am 25.06.17 um 20:59 schrieb Craig Parker:

> I'm looking at OFBIZ-9429.patch, and wondering how to apply it to a
> current install. I'm not sure which version I'm running though, can't
> see it in any of the unzipped files yet and I don't know where to find
> it in the software menu.
>
> I used the main download zip, I beleive it was the first one to use
> gradle, and I don't think I've reinstalled since any updates came out
> -- I'm guessing 16.11.01. Is there a "how to apply a patch" doc
> somewhere? Was this email something for the dev list, or should I have
> asked over at user?

Re: GL Patch

Hi Craig,

If you have not too much changes in your OFBiz installation another way could be to get the last OFBiz version: 16.11.03 with more fixes in it.

And yes this email would have been better in user ML. It's not about changing OFBiz but changing your installation. Thanks for the question :)

Jacques

Le 25/06/2017 à 20:59, Craig Parker a écrit :
> I'm looking at OFBIZ-9429.patch, and wondering how to apply it to a current install. I'm not sure which version I'm running though, can't see it in
> any of the unzipped files yet and I don't know where to find it in the software menu.
>
> I used the main download zip, I beleive it was the first one to use gradle, and I don't think I've reinstalled since any updates came out -- I'm
> guessing 16.11.01. Is there a "how to apply a patch" doc somewhere? Was this email something for the dev list, or should I have asked over at user?

Re: GL Patch

Paul Foxworthy
Hi Craig,

The version will probably be in the footer of the web pages. Look for
example at the dark grey stuff at the bottom of
https://demo-trunk.ofbiz.apache.org/catalog/control/main .

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: [hidden email]

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/

Re: New Website Branch Created

Sharan Foga
Hi Everyone

I've pretty much completed what I think could be an initial version of our new website so please feel free to take a look and let me have any feedback. (Just for info - all the pictures I've used are from Pixabay.com and are free to use and don't need any attribution)

It would be good to have some sample OFBiz pictures (and community feedback supported this too - instead of the all generic ones) especially on the home page so I have contacted Kenneth Paskett who has helped with the graphic design so far, to ask for a little more help doing that.  So once that is done, pending any other feedback, I think we could be ready to publish.

Thanks
Sharan

On 2017-06-25 18:54 (+0200), Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > replacing the php templates with Freemarker ones but not sure how easy that
> > would be so ideas welcome.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan
> >

> > On 25/06/17 18:03, Michael Brohl wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Sharan,
> >>
> >> Taher gave me a hint on this topic so I had a look at the new website code
> >> and display. I like it and think we should put some effort  in this to get
> >> it ready for production.
> >>
> >> I'm thinking about leaving some of the new contents out of sight for the
> >> first release, namely the service providers page and "what customers said"
> >> etc. (everything which is new and not ready for production.
> >> I think it would be enough to have the up-to-date informations from the
> >> old site plus some more which are ready (or near ready) to speed things up.

Thank you very much Sharan. The website looks really beautiful! my
recommendation is to go ahead and publish it immediately and we can
start to fix things as we go.

Some notes for things to work on later:
- The three main pitches should be either without a link, or a link to
relevant documentation (I'm referring to: "Powerful Java Web
Framework", "Developer Friendly", etc ...)
- The FAQ needs to be expanded, maybe we can get stuff from the
original FAQ documentation after we clean it up [1]
- We need to find a more appealing solution for the social media
links. I believe they should be in the top as icons instead of links
in the footer. I think the template used already has a solution for
this but I need to review it at some point.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/FAQ+-+Tips+-+Tricks+-+Cookbook+-+HowTo

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>         ├── header.tpl.php
>>         ├── head.tpl.php
>>         └── scripts.tpl.php
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 7:35 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Michael
>> >
>> > I like the idea (I'd been looking at an all or nothing approach :-) so just
>> > putting the minimum we need live is OK with me. I have some changes in
>> > progress for the main page, so will commit those tomorrow. Essentially I've
>> > removed the bottom slider panel and instead added a section on OFBiz
>> > Features, modules and benefits. I'll also take a look at the key pages and
>> > update what I can.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what to do about the php template conversion to html. I've been
>> > doing it manually but it probably needs a script and I know we talked about
>> > replacing the php templates with Freemarker ones but not sure how easy that

Pranay Pandey-3
+1 Taher.

Best regards,
Pranay Pandey
www.hotwaxsystems.com
www.hotwax.co

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> on the home page so I have contacted Kenneth Paskett who has helped with
> the graphic design so far, to ask for a little more help doing that.  So
> once that is done, pending any other feedback, I think we could be ready to
> publish.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan
> >

> > On 2017-06-25 18:54 (+0200), Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> +1 for switching the website to the new one and completing it as we go.
> >>
> >> We should try to automate publishing the website. One solution is to
> >> publish the website as is. Another solution is to restructure the
> >> website so that only the "generated" stuff gets published to the
> >> server. So the directory structure could be something like the below.
> >> And then we can have commands like ./gradlew generateHtml or ./gradlew

Thanks Taher and Pranay

Initial feedback from Kenneth is that a couple of the images look a bit out of place so I've asked for his suggestions for improving that.
Also he is preparing some images of OFBiz screenshots that we can use on the site so I'd like to get at least those changes in before publishing.

I've noted your feedback and agree these are good points that can improve the site so will look at those. If I can incorporate some before publishing then I will, otherwise we can do it as an ongoing thing once the new site is up.

Thanks
Sharan

On 2017-07-26 08:13 (+0200), Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan
> >

> > On 2017-06-25 18:54 (+0200), Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> +1 for switching the website to the new one and completing it as we go.
> >>
> >> We should try to automate publishing the website. One solution is to
> >> publish the website as is. Another solution is to restructure the
> >> website so that only the "generated" stuff gets published to the
> >> server. So the directory structure could be something like the below.
> >> And then we can have commands like ./gradlew generateHtml or ./gradlew

Re: GL Patch

Craig,

To be sure to have this information in footer as explained by Paul, run

"ant svninfo" in releases/branches  before R16

"gradlew svninfoFooter" in R16 or trunk

HTH

Jacques

Le 19/07/2017 à 02:34, Paul Foxworthy a écrit :

> Hi Craig,
>
> The version will probably be in the footer of the web pages. Look for
> example at the dark grey stuff at the bottom of
> https://demo-trunk.ofbiz.apache.org/catalog/control/main .
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul Foxworthy
>

> On 26 June 2017 at 04:59, Craig Parker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at OFBIZ-9429.patch, and wondering how to apply it to a
>> current install. I'm not sure which version I'm running though, can't see
>> it in any of the unzipped files yet and I don't know where to find it in
>> the software menu.
>>
>> I used the main download zip, I beleive it was the first one to use
>> gradle, and I don't think I've reinstalled since any updates came out --
>> I'm guessing 16.11.01. Is there a "how to apply a patch" doc somewhere? Was
>> this email something for the dev list, or should I have asked over at user?

Re: New Website Branch Created

Hi Sharan,

First congrats for the excellent work. I think we are ready to replace the old site. I have not checked all yet, but yes, we can do once online...

I agree with Taher about "The three main pitches". I'd prefer links, we can refer to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+User+Stories a sole and same link from all points should be enough

For the FAQ page we can expand it later. For now I'd simply add a link to the wiki page, of course we can clean it up...

For demos, why do you prefer a link to accounting than product (catalog webapp) as we did before (David did it long ago)? BTW developers, was catalog
the best place?

Do we say a word about plugins (did not find anything)?

|For ML page, what about our policy? Is it, should it be, somewhere else? Should we not add a link to Bertrand's "|Large Mailing Lists Survival Guide|"?

Don't we lose something about the news? Like we have a short FAQ page, could we not have a short News page for at least last releases short information?

Don't we miss a link to the official (and required) http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html page? Is
http://www.apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html not required too?

Do we have a link to HipChat? Though I'm not sure it's a good idea :D

Thanks!

Jacques

|Le 26/07/2017 à 11:47, Sharan Foga a écrit :

> Thanks Taher and Pranay
>
> Initial feedback from Kenneth is that a couple of the images look a bit out of place so I've asked for his suggestions for improving that.
> Also he is preparing some images of OFBiz screenshots that we can use on the site so I'd like to get at least those changes in before publishing.
>
> I've noted your feedback and agree these are good points that can improve the site so will look at those. If I can incorporate some before publishing then I will, otherwise we can do it as an ongoing thing once the new site is up.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan
>
> On 2017-07-26 08:13 (+0200), Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thank you very much Sharan. The website looks really beautiful! my
>> recommendation is to go ahead and publish it immediately and we can
>> start to fix things as we go.
>>
>> Some notes for things to work on later:
>> - The three main pitches should be either without a link, or a link to
>> relevant documentation (I'm referring to: "Powerful Java Web
>> Framework", "Developer Friendly", etc ...)
>> - The FAQ needs to be expanded, maybe we can get stuff from the
>> original FAQ documentation after we clean it up [1]
>> - We need to find a more appealing solution for the social media
>> links. I believe they should be in the top as icons instead of links
>> in the footer. I think the template used already has a solution for
>> this but I need to review it at some point.
>>
>> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/FAQ+-+Tips+-+Tricks+-+Cookbook+-+HowTo
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone
>>>
>>> I've pretty much completed what I think could be an initial version of our new website so please feel free to take a look and let me have any feedback. (Just for info - all the pictures I've used are from Pixabay.com and are free to use and don't need any attribution)
>>>
>>> It would be good to have some sample OFBiz pictures (and community feedback supported this too - instead of the all generic ones) especially on the home page so I have contacted Kenneth Paskett who has helped with the graphic design so far, to ask for a little more help doing that.  So once that is done, pending any other feedback, I think we could be ready to publish.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

Re: New Website Branch Created

Paul Foxworthy
On 30 July 2017 at 19:42, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For demos, why do you prefer a link to accounting than product (catalog
> webapp) as we did before (David did it long ago)? BTW developers, was
> catalog the best place?

Hi all,

Kathy Sierra was head of Java training at Sun and co-founder of the Head
First series of books at O'Reilly. She was and is very opinionated about
how people learn. See http://www.headfirstlabs.com/readme.php . In
particular:

"We use *people*. In stories, examples, pictures, etc., because, well,
because *you're* a person. And your brain pays more attention to people
than it does to things."

The first thing people should see should be something they can relate to.
People, or in OFBiz terms, Parties. Next best are products - they are
tangible. Accounting should not be the first thing people see. It only
makes sense to count the money after we've earned it.

Cheers

Paul

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773
Cheltenham Vic 3192
Australia

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: [hidden email]
--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/
12