[OFBiz] Accounting Extension (GL, etc) Now In Beta

[OFBiz] Accounting Extension (GL, etc) Now In Beta

David E. Jones

Update: Accounting/GL Now in Beta Testing

The Open For Business Accounting and General Ledger (GL) application
is now moving into beta testing. Currently, it can  support the
accounting needs of most product-retail businesses that use Open For
Business, including:

    * Support for multiple organizations and multiple currencies
    * Setting up chart of accounts with unlimited depth
    * General Ledger posting for most key business processes
    * Financial reports including trial balance, income statements, and
      balance sheets
    * Screens to create and manage both Accounts Receivable (AR) and
      Accounts Payable (AP) invoices and payments
    * Screens for managing tax liabilities across multiple
jurisdictions
    * Administrative features such as periodic closings
    * Flexible entry and maintenance of payments and invoice (including
      application payments to invoices, etc)
    * Export to outside accounting applications (QBXML for
QuickBooks is
      included)

This application is fully integrated with the rest of OFBiz,
including ecommerce, Point Of Sales, order manager, and facilities
manager.  It drops into your hot-deploy/ directory and runs right
away.  If you need other accounting-related features, such as
payroll, it is fairly easy to develop a plug in for it.

If you would like to learn more about the GL application, there is a
video from the St. Louis Users' Conference (http://www.ofbiz.org/
VideosConf.html) and an online demo (http://
www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/demos.php).

How to Make it Open Source

The Accounting and General Ledger is developed under a community
funding model. The idea is to get community funding to help cover the
cost of developing a large, complex application. We think this is a
very fair user-driven model because it can produce open source
software with either a large number of small contributors or a small
number of larger contributors. As an added incentive, those who
contribute over $3,000 can begin to use the application immediately
and benefit from all its features for a fraction of the cost of in-
house development.

We've currently received sponsorship for about half the development
costs ($26,000 out of about $50,000) and require another $24,000 to
reach our goal and release it under an open source license. This
means that we can get there with just eight user-contributors with
$3,000 each or, alternatively, a hundred contributors of under $250
each.

-Si Chen
-David E. Jones

P.S. Special thanks to all who have contributed labor and funds to
this effort, including: Open Source Strategies, Undersun Consulting,
Ant Websystems, Masterfile Corp, and others.