[OFBiz] Dev - General Application Goals for OFBiz

[OFBiz] Dev - General Application Goals for OFBiz

David E. Jones

There has been some recent discussion about this and some seem to get
it quite well and others not so well, so hopefully this will clear
some things up...

To limit the scope short of infinite and something reasonable and
usable we are creating stock applications that have full
functionality and full fields and are organized generically according
to data structure.

For specific roles/users and custom applications new screens specific
to a task can be created. This is often a major part of
customization, and at some point we may create collections of screens
mostly derived from other screens/forms/etc to reuse resources where
possible to make them easier to maintain.

Even with the existence of the role/task/etc specific screens we
don't want to eliminate the more general ones, not ever, because
cases may arise that are not expected (they always do) and the more
general screens with all fields and such are sometimes needed.

To customize a screen or create a derived form with fields left out
from the original form, the form widget with ignore type fields and
such can be used. This leaves much simpler code with the general
tools used to make it easier to customize and such. Adding flags for
every fields would be quite cumbersome and has no real place in the
general applications. In customized applications inherited forms with
ignore type fields for the ones to leave out should be used.

Note that this is different from the concept of a user being able to
hide/move/add/etc fields and that is something that we have not yet
implemented with the form widget and supporting tools, but something
that has been discussed and that we may do in the future. Still,
those would be per-user settings in the database and the more general
customization to the screens and forms would still be done in the
traditional way.

This is a very important pattern for the general progress of the
project and should always be kept in mind when working on the general
functionality in the project.

Re: Dev - General Application Goals for OFBiz

Si Chen-2
David,

Where should these user/role/task specific screens be located?  Should
we have a separate set of UI within the existing OFBiz applications?
For example, I think the new packing screens in facility are excellent
but basically duplicate the functions of the shipment screens.  Is this
a pattern that you like going forward?  Or, should they be separate
applications with OFBiz?  Or just developed separately altogether?

The reason I ask is that I think it is very important to have quick and
easy to use interface to attract more users, developers, and sponsors.
Our commercial competitors are armed with glossy brochures and jazzy
demos, and potential decisionmakers will probably be managers who would
expect a polished look.  In addition, other open source applications are
just a click away on the web as well.

Si