[OFBiz] Dev - RE: VAT price guidance

David Garrett

I have been looking at various options for integrating VAT style pricing.

I am having problems deciding the approach.

The approach I am thinking of following at the moment is:

* to keep the ProductPrice entity based on exTax price. This will allow for
later changes in VAT rates
* This leads to the issue with displaying the price. I am thinking to extend
the service calculateProductPrice to return things like priceIncVat,
priceVat, defaultIncVat, defaultVat etc. The UI can make its decisions as to
what to show.
* Dealling with the ShoppingCart ... Not entirely sure. Make changes to
ShoppingCartItem.updatePrice to set the basePrice and then add Adjustments
to the orderItem to add the VAT. Therefore the item price will have an
adjustment and a base price. My thinking is that each item can show each
component seperately and the total for the order. Further the adjustments
can be used for the accounting.
* this probably leads to the calcTax request being bypassed for VAT stores.

Does this seem correct?
Is there a better way?

Pricing rules remain an issue to be checked because these will work on exTax
prices.

Thanks
David G

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - RE: VAT price guidance

David E. Jones

David,

This is pretty much the planned approach. The trick is to determine
the jurisdiction to use for the tax calculation so that it can be
shown before the checkout process.

The plan for that right now is to start with a per-store setting that
specifies that it is a store with a default VAT tax authority, and
exactly which tax authority that is. Then that tax authority will be
used to include the tax in the price, and it should probably be made
clear in the UI what that jurisdiction is and that tax has been
included for that.

If anyone has better ideas it would be great.... I'm actually working
on this right now, though my efforts keep getting stalled as I am
trying to create a more flexible and widely applicable data model for
sales tax calculation in general. This is part of the new
TaxAuthority and related refactoring, and will result in new tax
settings admin pages and new sales tax calculation routines.

So, given that I'm right in the middle of it and stalling because of
complexity (well, and because of other simultaneous projects I'm
trying to keep moving) I'm very interested in feedback and ideas on
this right now.

In other words HELP!

I'm looking at, or trying to in spite of intentional obfuscation,
commercial products and such to see what sorts of things they
support, but in general this is a messy thing so if anyone knows of
any good open resources for sales tax models and such, I'm all ears/
eyes/etc...

-David J.

On Sep 24, 2005, at 10:23 PM, David Garrett wrote:

> I have been looking at various options for integrating VAT style
> pricing.
>
> I am having problems deciding the approach.
>
> The approach I am thinking of following at the moment is:
>
> * to keep the ProductPrice entity based on exTax price. This will
> allow for
> later changes in VAT rates
> * This leads to the issue with displaying the price. I am thinking
> to extend
> the service calculateProductPrice to return things like priceIncVat,
> priceVat, defaultIncVat, defaultVat etc. The UI can make its
> decisions as to
> what to show.
> * Dealling with the ShoppingCart ... Not entirely sure. Make
> changes to
> ShoppingCartItem.updatePrice to set the basePrice and then add
> Adjustments
> to the orderItem to add the VAT. Therefore the item price will have an
> adjustment and a base price. My thinking is that each item can show
> each
> component seperately and the total for the order. Further the
> adjustments
> can be used for the accounting.
> * this probably leads to the calcTax request being bypassed for VAT
> stores.
>
> Does this seem correct?
> Is there a better way?
>

> Pricing rules remain an issue to be checked because these will work
> on exTax
> prices.
>
> Thanks
> David G

RE: [OFBiz] Dev - RE: VAT price guidance

David Garrett
Thanks David.

I was assuming the use of the TaxAuthority entities. I may also have some
minor enhancements based on apps I have reviewed.

I have a short-term need to get VAT being displayed and used correcctly in
the ShoppingCart, Orders and Invoices.

Do you have any initial implementation code that I can use to get started?
The changes I make may or may not be of value but I would hope they are.

David G