[OFBiz] Dev - Re: manufacturing questions

[OFBiz] Dev - Re: manufacturing questions

Gan Chun Yee
Hi Si & Jacopo,

Ya I have encountered this problem before when I run
my production and my material stock reaches below
minimum stock level but no requirement is generated. I
understand there is an alternative way to show the
material level through the facility manager. However,
wouldn't it be nice if we can inject that automation
feature into the production run as well? or is there
any concern of not putting it?

Regards,
Gan

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:54:37 -0700
From: Si Chen <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [OFBiz] Dev - manufacturing questions
To: OFBiz Project Development Discussion
<[hidden email]>

Hi Jacopo,

My comments are also inline:

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi Si,
>
> please see my comments inline:
>
> Si Chen wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacopo,
>>
>> Tried the manufacturing demo again.  Everything
looked good except a
>> couple of minor things which I wasn't too sure
about:

>> 1.  Once a production run has been started,
clicking on [Declare]
>> takes me to a screen to input information about the
routing task.

>> There are these fields:
>> Setup Time
>> Actual Setup Time
>> Add Setup Time
>>
>> Run Time
>> Actual Time
>> Add Task Time
>>
>> Setup Time and Run Time are the estimated values
from routing task.
>> The Actual Setup and Run Times do not have input
boxes next to them.
>> Add Setup Time and Add Task Time do.  But when I
input values there,
>> instead of adding them to the Setup Time and Run
Time, they become
>> the Actual Setup Time and Actual Run Time.
>>
>> Is this a bug?  Or should the labels on the form be
changed?

> Thanks for bringign this up to my attention: the
only times that can
> changed are the actual times... so yes, the label
were not clear
enough.

> I've changed them to:
>
> Estimated Setup Time
> Actual Setup Time
> Add Actual Setup Time
>
> Estimated Run Time
> Actual Time
> Add Actual Task Time
>
> This is in SVN with rev 5671.
>
> Si, I greatly appreciate this kind of comments
because they really
> help me to improve the parts of the system that are
not clear.
> So if you see wrong labels, bad names etc... please
do not exitate to
> contact me and I'll fix them.

Sure.  So do "Add ... Time" cause time to be added to
actual setup and
run time?  Because when I tried it, it became the
actual setup and run
time.  Is that because they start as zero (or null)?

>> 2.  After a production run, the raw material
products' QOH and ATP
>> quantities became negative, but an MRP run did not
suggest any
>> requirements for them.  Should it have?  Or is the
intent to set up
>> replenishment rules for these products in the
catalog manager?

> This is a good point: as it is now, the MRP process
just searches in
> the future for the product's demand (approved sales
orders,
production
> runs etc...) and then sees if in warehouse the
product's needed qty
> will cause the product to go under the minimum stock
level; if this
> will happen, a new requirement is created.
> If I'm not wrong, your situation is different: you
have a product
> already under the minimum stock level but no future
demand for it (no
> sales orders or production run), so no requirements
are created.
> I'm not sure if the MRP should take this situation
into account or
> not: however you can have a nice report of the under
level products
> from the Facility --> Inventory Items --> View
Inventory by Product
> With that report in hand, you can create purchase
orders to refill
the
> stock levels (but this will never happen when the
supply strategy is
> driven by MRP).

I actually did start a production run.  So should a
requirement have
been created if the production run created a
shortfall?

>> 3.  Maybe I've asked this before, but should we set
Requirements'
>> quantities to the reorder quantities of the
facility?  Would that be
>> better?  I vaguely remember working on this and
thinking there might
>> be some issues with trying to do it that way...
>>

> Please, could you give me more details? Do you mean
the requirements
> generated by MRP or requirements generated by the
'automatic' methods
> set at product or product store level?

In general, let's say an item's warehouse minimum
quantity is 5 and
reorder quantity is 50.  When the quantity falls below
to, say, 3,
right
now it seems to generate a requirement for 2 more.
Should it generate
requirement for 50 instead?

I have a strange feeling we've discussed this topic
before, so sorry if
I'm repeating myself.

> Jacopo
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Re: manufacturing questions

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Gan,

please see my other reply to this thread.
There aren't big concerns about adding this feature to the MRP: however,
in my opinion, it is a low priority task because in a production system
(managed by MRP etc.) you will never run a production run if in
warehouse the materials are not available...
This situation happens more frequently in demo.

Jacopo