[OFBiz] Dev - manufacturing questions

Si Chen-2
Hi Jacopo,

Tried the manufacturing demo again.  Everything looked good except a
couple of minor things which I wasn't too sure about:

1.  Once a production run has been started, clicking on [Declare] takes
me to a screen to input information about the routing task.  There are
these fields:
Setup Time
Actual Setup Time
Add Setup Time

Run Time
Actual Time
Add Task Time

Setup Time and Run Time are the estimated values from routing task.  The
Actual Setup and Run Times do not have input boxes next to them.  Add
Setup Time and Add Task Time do.  But when I input values there, instead
of adding them to the Setup Time and Run Time, they become the Actual
Setup Time and Actual Run Time.

Is this a bug?  Or should the labels on the form be changed?

2.  After a production run, the raw material products' QOH and ATP
quantities became negative, but an MRP run did not suggest any
requirements for them.  Should it have?  Or is the intent to set up
replenishment rules for these products in the catalog manager?

3.  Maybe I've asked this before, but should we set Requirements'
quantities to the reorder quantities of the facility?  Would that be
better?  I vaguely remember working on this and thinking there might be
some issues with trying to do it that way...

Thanks,

Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - manufacturing questions

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Si,

please see my comments inline:

Si Chen wrote:

> Hi Jacopo,
>
> Tried the manufacturing demo again.  Everything looked good except a
> couple of minor things which I wasn't too sure about:
>
> 1.  Once a production run has been started, clicking on [Declare] takes
> me to a screen to input information about the routing task.  There are
> these fields:
> Setup Time
> Actual Setup Time
> Add Setup Time
>
> Run Time
> Actual Time
> Add Task Time
>
> Setup Time and Run Time are the estimated values from routing task.  The
> Actual Setup and Run Times do not have input boxes next to them.  Add
> Setup Time and Add Task Time do.  But when I input values there, instead
> of adding them to the Setup Time and Run Time, they become the Actual
> Setup Time and Actual Run Time.
>
> Is this a bug?  Or should the labels on the form be changed?

Thanks for bringign this up to my attention: the only times that can
changed are the actual times... so yes, the label were not clear enough.
I've changed them to:

Estimated Setup Time
Actual Setup Time
Add Actual Setup Time

Estimated Run Time
Actual Time
Add Actual Task Time

This is in SVN with rev 5671.

Si, I greatly appreciate this kind of comments because they really help
me to improve the parts of the system that are not clear.
So if you see wrong labels, bad names etc... please do not exitate to
contact me and I'll fix them.

> 2.  After a production run, the raw material products' QOH and ATP
> quantities became negative, but an MRP run did not suggest any
> requirements for them.  Should it have?  Or is the intent to set up
> replenishment rules for these products in the catalog manager?

This is a good point: as it is now, the MRP process just searches in the
future for the product's demand (approved sales orders, production runs
etc...) and then sees if in warehouse the product's needed qty will
cause the product to go under the minimum stock level; if this will
happen, a new requirement is created.
If I'm not wrong, your situation is different: you have a product
already under the minimum stock level but no future demand for it (no
sales orders or production run), so no requirements are created.
I'm not sure if the MRP should take this situation into account or not:
however you can have a nice report of the under level products from the
Facility --> Inventory Items --> View Inventory by Product
With that report in hand, you can create purchase orders to refill the
stock levels (but this will never happen when the supply strategy is
driven by MRP).

> 3.  Maybe I've asked this before, but should we set Requirements'
> quantities to the reorder quantities of the facility?  Would that be
> better?  I vaguely remember working on this and thinking there might be
> some issues with trying to do it that way...

Please, could you give me more details? Do you mean the requirements
generated by MRP or requirements generated by the 'automatic' methods
set at product or product store level?

Jacopo

> Thanks,
>
> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - manufacturing questions

Si Chen-2
Hi Jacopo,

My comments are also inline:

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi Si,
>
> please see my comments inline:
>
> Si Chen wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacopo,
>>
>> Tried the manufacturing demo again.  Everything looked good except a
>> couple of minor things which I wasn't too sure about:
>>
>> 1.  Once a production run has been started, clicking on [Declare]
>> takes me to a screen to input information about the routing task.
>> There are these fields:
>> Setup Time
>> Actual Setup Time
>> Add Setup Time
>>
>> Run Time
>> Actual Time
>> Add Task Time
>>
>> Setup Time and Run Time are the estimated values from routing task.
>> The Actual Setup and Run Times do not have input boxes next to them.
>> Add Setup Time and Add Task Time do.  But when I input values there,
>> instead of adding them to the Setup Time and Run Time, they become
>> the Actual Setup Time and Actual Run Time.
>>
>> Is this a bug?  Or should the labels on the form be changed?
>>

> Thanks for bringign this up to my attention: the only times that can
> changed are the actual times... so yes, the label were not clear enough.
> I've changed them to:
>
> Estimated Setup Time
> Actual Setup Time
> Add Actual Setup Time
>
> Estimated Run Time
> Actual Time
> Add Actual Task Time
>
> This is in SVN with rev 5671.
>
> Si, I greatly appreciate this kind of comments because they really
> help me to improve the parts of the system that are not clear.
> So if you see wrong labels, bad names etc... please do not exitate to
> contact me and I'll fix them.

Sure.  So do "Add ... Time" cause time to be added to actual setup and
run time?  Because when I tried it, it became the actual setup and run
time.  Is that because they start as zero (or null)?

>> 2.  After a production run, the raw material products' QOH and ATP
>> quantities became negative, but an MRP run did not suggest any
>> requirements for them.  Should it have?  Or is the intent to set up
>> replenishment rules for these products in the catalog manager?
>>

> This is a good point: as it is now, the MRP process just searches in
> the future for the product's demand (approved sales orders, production
> runs etc...) and then sees if in warehouse the product's needed qty
> will cause the product to go under the minimum stock level; if this
> will happen, a new requirement is created.
> If I'm not wrong, your situation is different: you have a product
> already under the minimum stock level but no future demand for it (no
> sales orders or production run), so no requirements are created.
> I'm not sure if the MRP should take this situation into account or
> not: however you can have a nice report of the under level products
> from the Facility --> Inventory Items --> View Inventory by Product
> With that report in hand, you can create purchase orders to refill the
> stock levels (but this will never happen when the supply strategy is
> driven by MRP).

I actually did start a production run.  So should a requirement have
been created if the production run created a shortfall?

>> 3.  Maybe I've asked this before, but should we set Requirements'
>> quantities to the reorder quantities of the facility?  Would that be
>> better?  I vaguely remember working on this and thinking there might
>> be some issues with trying to do it that way...
>>

> Please, could you give me more details? Do you mean the requirements
> generated by MRP or requirements generated by the 'automatic' methods
> set at product or product store level?

In general, let's say an item's warehouse minimum quantity is 5 and
reorder quantity is 50.  When the quantity falls below to, say, 3, right
now it seems to generate a requirement for 2 more.  Should it generate a
requirement for 50 instead?

I have a strange feeling we've discussed this topic before, so sorry if
I'm repeating myself.

> Jacopo
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - manufacturing questions

Jacopo Cappellato
Si,

again, my comments are inline:

Si Chen wrote:
> Hi Jacopo,

> Sure.  So do "Add ... Time" cause time to be added to actual setup and
> run time?  Because when I tried it, it became the actual setup and run
> time.  Is that because they start as zero (or null)?

Exactly: a user can enter more than one records to log work done for a
task (the actual times that are inserted are added to the actual setup
and runtime time).

>>> 2.  After a production run, the raw material products' QOH and ATP
>>> quantities became negative, but an MRP run did not suggest any
>>> requirements for them.  Should it have?  Or is the intent to set up
>>> replenishment rules for these products in the catalog manager?
>>>

>> This is a good point: as it is now, the MRP process just searches in
>> the future for the product's demand (approved sales orders, production
>> runs etc...) and then sees if in warehouse the product's needed qty
>> will cause the product to go under the minimum stock level; if this
>> will happen, a new requirement is created.
>> If I'm not wrong, your situation is different: you have a product
>> already under the minimum stock level but no future demand for it (no
>> sales orders or production run), so no requirements are created.
>> I'm not sure if the MRP should take this situation into account or
>> not: however you can have a nice report of the under level products
>> from the Facility --> Inventory Items --> View Inventory by Product
>> With that report in hand, you can create purchase orders to refill the
>> stock levels (but this will never happen when the supply strategy is
>> driven by MRP).
>>

> I actually did start a production run.  So should a requirement have
> been created if the production run created a shortfall?

If the production run is confirmed, for example it is planned to start
tomorrow, (and the raw materials have not been taken from warehouse) and
you run the MRP then the MRP should create requirements for the raw
materials.

>>> 3.  Maybe I've asked this before, but should we set Requirements'
>>> quantities to the reorder quantities of the facility?  Would that be
>>> better?  I vaguely remember working on this and thinking there might
>>> be some issues with trying to do it that way...
>>>

>> Please, could you give me more details? Do you mean the requirements
>> generated by MRP or requirements generated by the 'automatic' methods
>> set at product or product store level?
>>
> In general, let's say an item's warehouse minimum quantity is 5 and
> reorder quantity is 50.  When the quantity falls below to, say, 3, right
> now it seems to generate a requirement for 2 more.  Should it generate a
> requirement for 50 instead?

If you are speaking about the requirements created by the MRP, yes it
should create a requirement for 50: is it not true?

Jacopo

> I have a strange feeling we've discussed this topic before, so sorry if
> I'm repeating myself.
>
>> Jacopo
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - manufacturing questions

Si Chen-2

>>> Please, could you give me more details? Do you mean the requirements
>>> generated by MRP or requirements generated by the 'automatic'
>>> methods set at product or product store level?
>>>
>> In general, let's say an item's warehouse minimum quantity is 5 and
>> reorder quantity is 50.  When the quantity falls below to, say, 3,
>> right now it seems to generate a requirement for 2 more.  Should it
>> generate a requirement for 50 instead?
>>

> If you are speaking about the requirements created by the MRP, yes it
> should create a requirement for 50: is it not true?
>
> Jacopo

No, it is not.  I thought I had implemented it so that it was done this
way, but now I don't see it.  Can you try it when you get a chance?

Si Chen wrote:

>> If you are speaking about the requirements created by the MRP, yes it
>> should create a requirement for 50: is it not true?
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
> No, it is not.  I thought I had implemented it so that it was done this
> way, but now I don't see it.  Can you try it when you get a chance?

Sure, I'll make some tests and let you know.